Used 2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Best of the Third Row Seat SUV Bunch
By TimC

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After considering the Highlander, MDX, Pilot, and Enclave, my wife and I settled on the CX-9. While not quite perfect for our needs, it was clearly the best overall SUV, and came out on top for functionality, ergonomics, and as a bonus, it didn't look like the box that a more attractive vehicle came in. We had only looked at the Mazda as an afterthought, figuring we'd end up with the Highlander, but were very surprised at the overall quality and attention to detail in the CX-9. While the Highlander had arguably better performance and interior storage space, it lacked many things the CX-9 offered, such as a split-row third seat and ample room in all three rows, among others. A very good buy.

Favorite Features

The blind-spot monitor is our favorite; while it's not a substitute for careful driving, it helps in congested, multi-lane traffic. The overall handling is impressive for a vehicle this size. And it has a 3rd row seat that can hold adults and has usable space behind the 3rd row seat even when its up.

Suggested Improvements

More in-cabin storage; the center console and the glove box don't hold much. A bit softer ride. More sound- deadening insulation to help quell coarse-pavement roar. A trip computer. Do away with the two-tone leather. Offer more color choices. We bump our heads on the rakish roof line when getting in.

Best In Its Class
By shawn08

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just purchased the Mazda Cx9 Touring in September. I have about a 1000 miles on the truck. I enjoy driving this truck, its way better on gas than the LR3 I had. The interior of the vehicle is well designed. I did not get the Grand Touring since cars with nav these days go for less when it's time to trade in or sell. Got the entertainment center with the upgraded Bose stereo it's amazing! Not sure what everyone is talking about but my car has a trip odometer maybe they don't know how to find it. Before I made this purchase I test drove quite a bit of trucks before making my decision. I am glad I went with the CX9.

Favorite Features

Entertainment center, sporty steering wheel, comfortable seating and lots of space

Suggested Improvements

Change thr cheap plastic on the center of the steering wheel on Touring and Grand Touring models. Nickel finish would be better to match the trims inside the car. On the Touring model memory for the seats should also be standard.

Sporty and Fun
By Mark

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I traded in a VW Beetle, so there isn't much comparison except from the test drives I have been on. We considered a Pathfinder, Pilot and the Highlander. The Pilot was too much like a car and not very responsive. The Highlander was too pricey for the amount of vehicle. The Pathfinder felt really bulky in comparison to the CX-9. I drive about 4 hours every weekend with my wife and great dane. We wanted a vehicle that would allow us to have room for children in the back along with our dog. The gas mileage isn't too impressive, but a vehicle this size just doesn't have that 30 mpg ability right now. The backup cam on the nav screen seems dangerous.

Favorite Features

Blind spot monitoring, I didn't even know it had it, but what a relief it does. Auto-wipers. Halogen headlamps. Blue-tooth capability. Overall value.

Suggested Improvements

I drove a fully decked out 2008 CX-9 with navigation, which quickly deterred me from buying the nav system. Someone needs to tell Mazda that unlike a fine wine, navigation systems do not get better with age. I prefer to use my $150 Garmin over it. Also, the sunroof leaked during a recent car wash.

Great Value
By Icemahn

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Traded our '04 Sienna in for the CX-9. Test drove an Acura MDX '08, GMC Acadia and Yukon Hybrid. CX-9 Power and handling is similar to the MDX while the third row space comparable to the Acadia. It truly provides the best of both worlds without compromising style or comfort. Mazda hit the bullseye with this one!

Favorite Features

All-wheel drive, excellent sound system (Bose), Hands-free phone and navigation commands, power lift-gate, sporty handling, great looks (20 inch/10 spoke wheels is awesome!), passenger comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Better nav system interface, auto-lock (at >15mph speed), more power (match Acura's 300 HP)

Big switch from German made vehicles
By Gary

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After owning 3 VW Passat Wagons (8 total German made autos) we made a decision to go with the CX-9. Enormous price difference and a larger cargo area made the difference. Low price put us in the Grand Touring. Great styling, nice interior appointments. Too early to tell about reliability. Looking forward to use all-wheel drive here in Michigan.

Favorite Features

Blind spot monitoring system, adjustable Xenon headlights, Bose sound system, 20-inch wheels, excellent climate control system.

Suggested Improvements

No trip computer, Gauges on dash difficult to see on bright day, no auto locks, can't stretch out left leg on long drives.