Used 2008 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda CX-9 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Great vehicle until the brake issues hit
By jusride

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring new in 2009. It's been a great vehicle, although it does go through tires (not alignment caused). No issues to report until the brakes went out Saturday. No warning, driving down the road and no brakes. The only thing that saved us was light traffic on a early Saturday morning. If this would've been during the work week a severe accident would've happened. There is a factory "recall" on the brake booster even though the defective item is the brake master cylinder. This was defective from the factory and slowing leaks into the brake booster until they both fail.

Comfort and carrying capacity

Better gas mileage, fix the defective brake master cylinder - search cx-9 brake problems and go to the NHTSA site regarding the 2008 CX-9 for more info. Sensitive tire sensors...Mazda's fix? Give me a tire pressure gauge to keep in the car...really?

Beware of sunroofs and drainage flaws all years and models.
By disapointed10

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

When we bought this car it was crossover of the year. I have always enjoyed the car until the on board computer went bad. We spent $750.00 to have a new on put in and one week to the day it went out again. My husband thought something was shorting it out and sure enough we were told by Mazda service that Mazda's with sunroof tended to have fir tree needles plug up the drain tubes and the water build up would short out the computer. I contacted Mazda corporate wanting to know why NO mention of this was available to potential or new car owners. I was told it was not a design flaw and the service folks should know about it. But no one ever told us so we are out approximately $1,100.00

It is a nice car to drive.

I feel Mazda should educate the consumer of any potential problems to the car which can be solved in about a 15 minute visit to the Mazda service. No one told us about this and Mazda is taking no responsibility for this problem. We will never buy a Mazda again and will tell everyone we meet and know to not buy a Mazda. Mazda in dumping this situation on us and taking no responsibility to assist us or accept the fact that they did not warn us this could happen. Mazda has a very bad business ethic. I live in Seattle where we have rain and fir tree needles and not everyone has a garage to keep their car in.

Most reliable vehicle we have EVER owned.
By krustuhfar

2008 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car brand new in 2008. This has been the most reliable car we have EVER owned. It has not once left us stranded. We've hauled some huge loads too. and it just keeps going and going. We took this car ALL THE WAY FROM LOUISIANA TO MAYNE. THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF MILES. In a period of 5 days. and not once did we think it was going to give up. We loved our cx9. Sadly, at a wopping 179,000 miles, we hydroplaned into a ditch and totaled it. Such a shame. We never had to do any major repairs on it. THe only bad thing is it was constantly having tire/wheel issues. it would need a brake job about every 16 months. And tire pressure was always low. Other than that. it was amazing.

Good for alot of miles.

none i can think of.

What a wise decision.
By elcesarmaneja

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is a car with the best of both world from the SUV and the Mini van. All compacted on a sporty car. The suspension is rigid enough to give extraordinary maneuverability without sacrificing comfort. The traction control make it very dependable, even taking off on a wet pavement on a tight turn (I tested that many times in Florida rains) The car has an incredible throttle that pair with many smaller fast cars. I am in my late 30's but every once in a while I enjoy a quick star form a stop point. I carried today my girl's bike, my boy's trike and stroller and a couple of dinning chairs an I still had room in the back.

The style and the body. If you put them side to side with Pilot, Sequoia, X-5, Enclave, etc this got to be the sportiest looking car, yet you have the space and a real sporty muscle. Great for family trips, without looking like a soccer mom.

More interior pockets.

zoon zoom smart
By momoffive1

2008 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just drove home in my new (to me) CX-9. Got an amazing deal from a craigslist ad. Unbelievable car! Not sure I have ever been in such a luxurious vehicle! My whole family fits, all 7 of us, including 3 carseats. I was a little surprised by the small cargo area, I think my husband's Corolla has more room, but you know what? I really don't care! I was going to have to get a roof box for trips, anyway. I can't believe this is a base model! Smooth drive, quiet, roomy 3rd row, nice storage compartments, and my mp3 player plugs right in...great Bose sound! I spent 18K and drove home feeling like a millionaire. You have to see it and drive it to believe it! Happy Mommy!!

Cool space age dash, Bose 6 cd changer, beautiful white mica paint, center console, power outlets everywhere, snazzy "cloth" seats (much nicer and fancier than typical cloth upholstery!), sunroof/moonroof, roof rack, AWD, 3 zone climate control, smooth and easy lift to the rear hatch door, cool wheels, quiet ride, awesome controls on the steering wheel. There is too a trip odometer, and my auto window works just fine.

This used vehicle was turned over to me in immaculate and near perfect condition. There were, however, some scratches on the interior chrome paint around the gear shift box, a common complaint with this vehicle. Otherwise...seriously??!! I'm allowed to drive this? I am ruined for minivan life forever, there's no way I could go back!