Used 2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Cx-9 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Beware of sunroofs and drainage flaws all years and models.
By disapointed10

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

When we bought this car it was crossover of the year. I have always enjoyed the car until the on board computer went bad. We spent $750.00 to have a new on put in and one week to the day it went out again. My husband thought something was shorting it out and sure enough we were told by Mazda service that Mazda's with sunroof tended to have fir tree needles plug up the drain tubes and the water build up would short out the computer. I contacted Mazda corporate wanting to know why NO mention of this was available to potential or new car owners. I was told it was not a design flaw and the service folks should know about it. But no one ever told us so we are out approximately $1,100.00

Favorite Features

It is a nice car to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I feel Mazda should educate the consumer of any potential problems to the car which can be solved in about a 15 minute visit to the Mazda service. No one told us about this and Mazda is taking no responsibility for this problem. We will never buy a Mazda again and will tell everyone we meet and know to not buy a Mazda. Mazda in dumping this situation on us and taking no responsibility to assist us or accept the fact that they did not warn us this could happen. Mazda has a very bad business ethic. I live in Seattle where we have rain and fir tree needles and not everyone has a garage to keep their car in.

What a wise decision.
By elcesarmaneja

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is a car with the best of both world from the SUV and the Mini van. All compacted on a sporty car. The suspension is rigid enough to give extraordinary maneuverability without sacrificing comfort. The traction control make it very dependable, even taking off on a wet pavement on a tight turn (I tested that many times in Florida rains) The car has an incredible throttle that pair with many smaller fast cars. I am in my late 30's but every once in a while I enjoy a quick star form a stop point. I carried today my girl's bike, my boy's trike and stroller and a couple of dinning chairs an I still had room in the back.

Favorite Features

The style and the body. If you put them side to side with Pilot, Sequoia, X-5, Enclave, etc this got to be the sportiest looking car, yet you have the space and a real sporty muscle. Great for family trips, without looking like a soccer mom.

Suggested Improvements

More interior pockets.

Pleasantly Surprised!
By T Clark

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Never thought about owning a Mazda. Test drove an Infiniti FX35 and compared to the Mazda CX-9 it was so much smoother and really has a lot of power. I was really impressed. You get so much more for your money with this model. Love the way it handles and my daughter loves having the DVD system. That was just an added bonus for us. Only had it a few days, but so far it has been great!

Favorite Features

DVD System, Bluetooth, NAV system, smooth ride, 3rd row seating

Suggested Improvements

Some difficulties with NAV system

Mazda CX9 FWD Grand Touring
By SCaldriver

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased a 2008 CX9 Grand Touring FWD 13 months ago and now have 20,000 miles on it. This vehicle has met all of our expectations. We previously owned an Expedition and a Sequoia and like the CX9 much better. The interior in the CX9 is great. The second row seats slide forward for easy access to the third row with a split seat with enough room for an adult. The CX9 is fun to drive with plenty of zoom zoom. We live in an area with hills and the CX9 moves up them. It drives more like a sports car than an SUV. Exterior looks great especially with 20 inch wheels. Whenever someone rides in it they are impressed & comment on how nice the interior is & how well it drives.

Favorite Features

3.7 V6 engine with 273hp really moves. Blind-spot monitoring system in side mirrors are great. Split third row seat. Sliding second row seats. 20 inch alloy wheels. Blue cabin dash illumination lights. Dash instrumentation display panel.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the gas mileage was better, average 15 to 17 mpg with mostly 70% city 30% highway driving. I can live with this as the Cx9 really moves when I step on the petal.

Great Car, Skip the built in Nav
By nbiz

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Wonderful car, we love how it drives. It doesn't look that big from outside, but feels huge and comfortable inside. However, I wish I could return the nav system. It gives us a proper route about 1 in 5 times, otherwise it suggests routes that are hundreds of miles off course. Luckily we usually know the basic directions, otherwise 1 hour drives would take 5. Also it grays out when going over 5mph, which all built-ins do and I thought I could deal with, but no. Please get this great car, just skip the nav.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

Fix the nav system, really its horrible. Our $100 hand-held from 3 years ago can route better. Fix the paint on the interior door handles, it is super cheap and gets scraped off by our wedding rings.