2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:
Overall Great Car
By Mark on 10/18/09 18:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Owner for 2 years. Overall very satisfied with this vehicle. Great acceleration and smooth ride. After driving it 1000 miles in 1.5 days, I was surprised that my back didn't hurt. I am very pleased with this car's performance, but can't say the same for the dealership's service. Love the Bluetooth and Nav system. Average hwy mileage at 75mph is 25. In town mileage could be better. Loads of cargo room. Down fall is that no daytime running lights and if you turn headlights on during the day, I can't see the speedometer very well even with my prescription sunglasses.

Not user friendly for mutliple car seats
By Judy on 05/17/09 21:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I leased the car on a comparison review of the Highlander,the Pilot and the CX- 9. There are only 2 baby clips available in the 2nd seat. You can not put a baby seat in the middle (it folds down). I put my 1st baby seat on the smallest section and then could not fold down the larger section to get into the 3rd seat. (I needed to place 3 car seats in the car) In the comparison they did point out the negative about the rear passenger doors being longer and more difficult to open it tight situations. I have found that it is more difficult in most situations. The road noise is terrible. There are multiple blind spots and the drivers seat is very uncomfortable

Completely Satisfied
By Mike H. on 04/28/09 21:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this to replace our '01 Honda CRV. Researched many third row SUVS. Came down to a Yukon or the CX9. My wife liked the CX9 because the ride was so much smoother. Couldn't agree more for once! The CX9 is a great SUV, roomy and well designed interior and sleek exterior. First time Mazda buyer and will definitely consider Mazda the next time.

Best SUV/Crossover for the money!
By s515fox on 01/26/09 19:14 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is our second Mazda, having driven a 2008 CX-7 since early 2008, which was a company car. We were so impressed with it, that we decided to buy the CX-9 for it's greater seating and because of excellent consumer reviews to accompany our experience with the CX-7. We couldn't be happier with our purchase. We bought a program car with 18K miles on it for about $21K, with leather seats. Another $600 spent on a DVD player and $200 on GPS saved us about $2-3K for the factory installed versions. We couldn't be more pleased with this vehicle! The ride and comfort is better than the CX-7; it's quieter and feels very luxurious. We'll have this for a long time!

Crossing over to a true Crossover
By Jeff M on 12/03/08 03:16 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Have had the Mazda CX-9 now for several weeks now and truly enjoying the experience. We purchased the touring over the grand touring based on available features and price. We have been very pleased with the ride and available features Mazda has put into this vehicle. We went from a Suburban to the CX-9 and that was difficult at first because of the difference in interior room. The 9 is built on a truck frame but feels more like driving a car. It's fun to drive and very comfortable. You will be impressed.

Sporty Performance in a Roomy Package
By KBW on 08/29/08 06:46 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

If your tired of the minivan life but can't figure out how to get that sporty ride you've been longing for without giving up the room of your van then take a look at the CX-9. For sure it compromises in some aspects like overall storage but much less than most in this category. Compared to my wife's previous Grand Voyager the level of comfort, styling and performance of the CX-9 more than make up for this. The ride is sure footed meaning its not going to float down the road but its not so tight as to be uncomfortable. Gas mileage seems to live up to what Mazda reports. My wife has averaged 19 mpg with mostly in town driving. Overall, it's a great sporty value for the buck.

What gas mileage do you expect?
By Brian on 07/17/08 19:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This car is so fun to drive. The interior is comfortable and versatile, the engine and transmission are silky smooth, the climate control, seat configuration, styling, and Bose stereo are awesome. I get 19-20 mpg in mixed driving and don't understand why this large 7-person vehicle continually gets knocked on gas mileage. Sure, if you take off from every stop like a jackrabbit, you'll get 15mpg, but c'mon. I hate cars, and I hated the minivan I replaced with the CX-9, but I love driving this one.

Enjoying the zoom zoom
By Mazda Mom on 04/01/08 21:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have not owned a new vehicle in 9 years. I have been doing research for a while and really investigated the Mazda CX7 and CX9. I had been driving a Dodge Durango and loved it. My husband did not want a smaller vehicle so we drove the CX9. I really like the looks of the CX9. My only complaint is that I settled for the black interior which I know will be very hot in the summer.

Zoom Zoom
By Patrick, Charleston on 03/11/08 11:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Researched Lexus, Toyota, VW, Nissan, Ford and Saturn but none compared to the price, drivability and style of the CX-9. Actually brings back the fun in driving. Bose sound system is the best car stereo I’ve ever heard. Lots and I mean lots of room especially in the second row seating. At 6'1" I actually have room to extend my legs. Third row folds down perfectly for more cargo space. Safety features are endless. Lots of comments on the outside appearance but when they open the doors and look in, they are amazed. Like others, it lacks a few of the items that should be standard, compass and fuel computer

Best Crossover Value on the market
By h_charles on 01/25/08 13:20 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased as 3rd car to go with a Porsche 911. I've always driven nothing but European sports cars, but am VERY impressed with this car. Steering is excellent for any vehicle. Handling is good for a car this big, but Mazda really needs to address the torque steer under hard acceleration in FWD models. It isn't fast, but quick enough for what it is. The interior is tasteful and well done. A few cheap plastic bits, but what do you expect at this price? This car looks and performs like a $45K car, and can be had nicely optioned for $35K. A steal at this price, it drives as well as some competitors costing $20K more. Perfect as kid carrier or a sporty SUV- - can do both well.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Mazda CX-9 Suv in NJ is:

$209 per month*