Used 2008 Mazda CX-9 Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

2008 Mazda CX-9
By Michael Reisig

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Probably the worst vehicle I've ever owned, no ZOOM ZOOM here! After the vehicle hit a 100K, it was all downhill from there. First, a wiring harness holding clip broke causing the harness to shift and rub against the frame. Eventually, the vibration wore the insulation on the wires away (within the harness) making them come in contact with one another. This created a short in the electrical system causing No. 6 coil and fuel injector to go out. Parts and labor repair cost: $1007. Next, at 104K, the master cylinder brake booster went out. Parts and labor repair cost: $585. Third, at 109K, the “internal” water pump went out causing coolant and water to mix with the oil. This resulted in the ruination of the engine. UNBELIEVABLE engineering design! Repair cost for a junkyard motor with installation: $3650. Water pumps go out on vehicles all the time without ruining the engines. It's appalling to think that Mazda would ever use such an inferior design that would cause such a thing. Finally, I called Mazda USA headquarters to see if I could get some financial assistance with the engine replacement cost but was told since I didn't take it to the dealership to perform the work that I was out of luck. (Mazda Registered Complaint No. 1-281511575)

Mazda c x 9 great for family with young kids
By Jennifer Lee

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this brand new when my kids were little. It was a great car to cart kids and their friends around because of the 3rd row. Mechanically it performed very well. Maintainence cost was relatively low for 8 years. The Mazda dealership was wonderful to work with in buying and negotiating the car. For years they gave me a loaner when I had to bring it for anything.

Most reliable vehicle we have EVER owned.
By krustuhfar

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car brand new in 2008.
This has been the most reliable car we have EVER owned. It has not once left us stranded. We've hauled some huge loads too. and it just keeps going and going. We took this car ALL THE WAY FROM LOUISIANA TO MAYNE. THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF MILES. In a period of 5 days. and not once did we think it was going to give up. We loved our cx9. Sadly, at a wopping 179,000 miles, we hydroplaned into a ditch and totaled it. Such a shame. We never had to do any major repairs on it. THe only bad thing is it was constantly having tire/wheel issues. it would need a brake job about every 16 months. And tire pressure was always low. Other than that. it was amazing.

Good for alot of miles.

none i can think of.

Amazing vehicle!
By drblptq

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I owned this incredible suv for almost two and a half years of trouble free driving, and would highly recommend it to anyone needing space for 7, ample cargo capacity, and fairly reasonable mileage. This is easily one of the best handling suv's I have ever owned. 60,000 miles and not one single issue, how many people can say that about a vehicle. I traded it for a 2011 Hyundai Elantra as I drive 25,000 plus miles per year, and 35 mpg combined is so nice. The Elantra actually has more front seat legroom that the much larger CX-9!

What more could a family of four or five ask for, looks, performance, stability, handling, all in a durable and trouble free package.

This is easy, handling, handling, handling...looks, and durability, comfort, speed, an amazing product I will not soon forget.

There are only a few glitches in an otherwise complete package; things tend to fall between the seat and center comsole and there is simply no way to retrieve them, believe me, I have tried! The sides are huge slabs of somewhat thin steel and dent very easily. You can push it in with your hands and dent it, scary. Mileage although not bad for a car based suv, is 17 mpg combined, if it were a but better, say in the 24 to 26 mpg range it would be the perfect all aroung vehicle.

Great car!!
By Michael

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Very nice car in all aspects with the exception of gas mileage! Still though if you need the third seat this is the cream of the class!

Sporty nature!