2008 Mazda CX-9 Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Cx-9 - Consumer Reviews

2008 CX-9 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Sort Reviews by

Beware of sunroofs and drainage flaws all years and models.
By disapointed10

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

When we bought this car it was crossover of the year. I have always enjoyed the car until the on board computer went bad. We spent $750.00 to have a new on put in and one week to the day it went out again. My husband thought something was shorting it out and sure enough we were told by Mazda service that Mazda's with sunroof tended to have fir tree needles plug up the drain tubes and the water build up would short out the computer. I contacted Mazda corporate wanting to know why NO mention of this was available to potential or new car owners. I was told it was not a design flaw and the service folks should know about it. But no one ever told us so we are out approximately $1,100.00

Favorite Features

It is a nice car to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I feel Mazda should educate the consumer of any potential problems to the car which can be solved in about a 15 minute visit to the Mazda service. No one told us about this and Mazda is taking no responsibility for this problem. We will never buy a Mazda again and will tell everyone we meet and know to not buy a Mazda. Mazda in dumping this situation on us and taking no responsibility to assist us or accept the fact that they did not warn us this could happen. Mazda has a very bad business ethic. I live in Seattle where we have rain and fir tree needles and not everyone has a garage to keep their car in.

Most reliable vehicle we have EVER owned.
By krustuhfar

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car brand new in 2008. This has been the most reliable car we have EVER owned. It has not once left us stranded. We've hauled some huge loads too. and it just keeps going and going. We took this car ALL THE WAY FROM LOUISIANA TO MAYNE. THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF MILES. In a period of 5 days. and not once did we think it was going to give up. We loved our cx9. Sadly, at a wopping 179,000 miles, we hydroplaned into a ditch and totaled it. Such a shame. We never had to do any major repairs on it. THe only bad thing is it was constantly having tire/wheel issues. it would need a brake job about every 16 months. And tire pressure was always low. Other than that. it was amazing.

Favorite Features

Good for alot of miles.

Suggested Improvements

none i can think of.

What a wise decision.
By elcesarmaneja

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is a car with the best of both world from the SUV and the Mini van. All compacted on a sporty car. The suspension is rigid enough to give extraordinary maneuverability without sacrificing comfort. The traction control make it very dependable, even taking off on a wet pavement on a tight turn (I tested that many times in Florida rains) The car has an incredible throttle that pair with many smaller fast cars. I am in my late 30's but every once in a while I enjoy a quick star form a stop point. I carried today my girl's bike, my boy's trike and stroller and a couple of dinning chairs an I still had room in the back.

Favorite Features

The style and the body. If you put them side to side with Pilot, Sequoia, X-5, Enclave, etc this got to be the sportiest looking car, yet you have the space and a real sporty muscle. Great for family trips, without looking like a soccer mom.

Suggested Improvements

More interior pockets.

zoon zoom smart
By momoffive1

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just drove home in my new (to me) CX-9. Got an amazing deal from a craigslist ad. Unbelievable car! Not sure I have ever been in such a luxurious vehicle! My whole family fits, all 7 of us, including 3 carseats. I was a little surprised by the small cargo area, I think my husband's Corolla has more room, but you know what? I really don't care! I was going to have to get a roof box for trips, anyway. I can't believe this is a base model! Smooth drive, quiet, roomy 3rd row, nice storage compartments, and my mp3 player plugs right in...great Bose sound! I spent 18K and drove home feeling like a millionaire. You have to see it and drive it to believe it! Happy Mommy!!

Favorite Features

Cool space age dash, Bose 6 cd changer, beautiful white mica paint, center console, power outlets everywhere, snazzy "cloth" seats (much nicer and fancier than typical cloth upholstery!), sunroof/moonroof, roof rack, AWD, 3 zone climate control, smooth and easy lift to the rear hatch door, cool wheels, quiet ride, awesome controls on the steering wheel. There is too a trip odometer, and my auto window works just fine.

Suggested Improvements

This used vehicle was turned over to me in immaculate and near perfect condition. There were, however, some scratches on the interior chrome paint around the gear shift box, a common complaint with this vehicle. Otherwise...seriously??!! I'm allowed to drive this? I am ruined for minivan life forever, there's no way I could go back!

Amazing vehicle!
By drblptq

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I owned this incredible suv for almost two and a half years of trouble free driving, and would highly recommend it to anyone needing space for 7, ample cargo capacity, and fairly reasonable mileage. This is easily one of the best handling suv's I have ever owned. 60,000 miles and not one single issue, how many people can say that about a vehicle. I traded it for a 2011 Hyundai Elantra as I drive 25,000 plus miles per year, and 35 mpg combined is so nice. The Elantra actually has more front seat legroom that the much larger CX-9! What more could a family of four or five ask for, looks, performance, stability, handling, all in a durable and trouble free package.

Favorite Features

This is easy, handling, handling, handling...looks, and durability, comfort, speed, an amazing product I will not soon forget.

Suggested Improvements

There are only a few glitches in an otherwise complete package; things tend to fall between the seat and center comsole and there is simply no way to retrieve them, believe me, I have tried! The sides are huge slabs of somewhat thin steel and dent very easily. You can push it in with your hands and dent it, scary. Mileage although not bad for a car based suv, is 17 mpg combined, if it were a but better, say in the 24 to 26 mpg range it would be the perfect all aroung vehicle.

I love this car!
By greyhounds3

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I recently bought a 2008 Mazda CX-9 and I am already in love with this car! I went into the dealership with a "Short List" of requirements that I needed in a car (SUV), and the CX-9 had it all. I researched or test drove almost every wagon or SUV on the market before stopping at Mazda.

Favorite Features

The transmission is incredibly smooth and you don't even notice the car is changing gears. The brakes are strong but smooth. There is a ton of room and storage space in the vehicle. There is a power rear door (hatch) and the little button to close the door is easy to reach and lit. The seats are super super comfortable. The gadgets are easy to find, and having cruise control and volume and phone controls on the steering wheel is a great safety feature.

Suggested Improvements

The key is "backward": the buttons for "Lock", "Unlock" and "Rear Door open/close" are on the opposite side of the key than the brain automatically goes to. The power knob for the Audio/Navigation system is ridiculously small compared to other knobs for other features. The front driver side door needs to be really shut hard, otherwise it will not catch and ease itself closed. The only odd thing in the cargo area is that when you flatten both the 2nd row seats and the 3rd row seats, there is a gap of a couple inches between the back of the 2nd row seats and the front of the 3rd row seats.

Pleasantly Surprised!
By T Clark

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Never thought about owning a Mazda. Test drove an Infiniti FX35 and compared to the Mazda CX-9 it was so much smoother and really has a lot of power. I was really impressed. You get so much more for your money with this model. Love the way it handles and my daughter loves having the DVD system. That was just an added bonus for us. Only had it a few days, but so far it has been great!

Favorite Features

DVD System, Bluetooth, NAV system, smooth ride, 3rd row seating

Suggested Improvements

Some difficulties with NAV system

Beware of interior and paint
By dd mass

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

so far car has been good except the moldings around radio the black plastic moldings melted in the heat and mazda will not cover them due to outside influence so mazda does not stand behind there products hope if anything happens to engine they stand behind that paint chips to easily

Favorite Features

size and ride is good fuel is avg at best

Suggested Improvements

paint and stand behind your product stop the haggle

rmoore
By rmoore

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

i own a 2008 mazda cx9. it now has 22,000 miles on it and also a few issues. one being the relays for the fans. i had the front relay sticking and not shutting the fan off . the dealer replaced it and now a few months later the rear fan relay is doing the same. i also have a problem with my sunroof leaking which is strange cause i never use it. i'm thinking maybe the exessive heat this summer possibly. and my rear window switches have to be reset all the time which maybe related to the sunroof leak. i also had a problem with my rotors which instead of replacing the dealer cut them, and my clock is always running 10 minutes behind.

Favorite Features

definitely the room. i can seat 7 and still have room in the back to put things and with the rear seats down there's no problem loading up at one of those big box stores. also the body style is very attractive.

Suggested Improvements

definitely the fan relays they seem to stick when hot. and overall this car is pretty good but would be great if it did'nt have all the little problems it seems to have.

Mazda review
By mazda review

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Keys sometime loses strength and you can spend a while pressing on door to open the door.

Favorite Features

Overall a comfortable car. I wish it had a sunroof. Radio on steering wheel was comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Seats were not very comfortable for such a big car, like American cars.