Used 2007 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda CX-9 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Has everything except storage
By allana6

2007 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is great, you get a lot for your money. It drives well, it handles the road, the interior room is great, the exterior looks great. I love this car, I have the blue mica with navi, bluetooth, roof rail etc, all the bells and whistles, the only thing lacking is storage. Little compartments are lacking, you end up putting everything in your cupholder and then having no place to put your cup. Aside from that, little things are not attached properly. something is always popping off and out of place, if it's not the seat belt holder, it's the cap for the lights on the trunk door. For a family car, you it should be built a little tougher. But all in all, a great buy, very pleased.

Favorite Features

The wheels and rims, the bluetooth, the backup mirror, the 7 seats

Suggested Improvements

More storage, navigation updated

Have now owned for 1 year
By Dan

2007 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have now owned my 07 CX-9 GT for 1 year - this review may be helpful for people buying/considering the 08. This is a terrific crossover SUV... very fun to drive, roomy, great- looking, great build quality, lots of features, even has pretty good gas mileage (I got 24.5 mpg on a long highway trip @ 70 mph last week; I get 18 mpg around town. I do try to drive gently, e.g. slow starts and stops). I did lots of homework before I bought and still see nothing on the market that compares. I have had great experiences with Mazdas and expect to be very happy with my CX-9 for a long time to come.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, heated seats, Bose stereo, cargo room, controls, great- looking interior and exterior. Virtually everything looks, feels, fits, & works like it should, which is to say, often better than expected.

Suggested Improvements

My one and only complaint is that the ride is a little stiff and choppy - I feel the bumps a little more than I'd like. That may be the price to pay for the great handling and/or the 20-inch wheels. I also wish (ok, 2nd complaint) that the compass and homelink mirror had been standard.

Not bad, but could be better
By TedS

2007 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After 7 months of ownership I'm pretty pleased with the vehicle. It has reasonable performance and exceptional handling for its size. The engine is quite refined and powerful for the displacement and the transmission shifts seamlessly between gears. It has good interior room and versatility allowing it to swallow a lot of stuff when it needs to. The one down side was that I've already had to have the transfer case replaced because it wasn't sending any power to the rear wheels. That's disappointing in a new vehicle. On the other hand, the dealer did a stellar job of handling the repairs and providing me with a loaner vehicle while it was in the shop.

Favorite Features

Engine/transmission, flexible rear seating and ease of entry and exit to the third row. Powerlift gate is a nice feature. Handling is easily the high point of this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Memory outside mirrors, trip computer, better carpet (the stuff is more like felt than carpet), airflow control for the rear vents, only temp and fan speed can be adjusted back there. More useful center console (rear heat/AC equipment eats most of the space). Gauges hard to see on bright day.

I love my CX-9
By debbiejay

2007 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I shopped and shopped for an SUV to replace my old Windstar. I rented several for extended test drives including CX-9 and Highlander. I "borrowed" a Honda Pilot for several hours from a dealer too. The CX-9 has all of the features I wanted, the best looks, and decent gas mileage (at least comparable for its class). Very high quality fit and finish and a great interior layout compared to the others.

Favorite Features

The heated, leather seats and the copper red paint color.

Suggested Improvements

Include auto headlamps and trip computer in Touring models.

A Family Car Done Just Right
By Best Ever

2007 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If you are looking for a family car with a third row look no further. This car/suv is awesome. It has better styling and preformance than more expensive crossovers. If you can afford it go for a model with the blind spot monitoring system. The blind spots aren't to bad but I would feel more comfortble with this feature.

Favorite Features

Tons of legroom, Cargo capicity. Good power. Handling feels like a two seater sports car. Very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Back up sensors would be helpful.