2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Best Buy SUV
By jimev

2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love my CX-9. The best styling of any SUV out there PLUS it has a 3rd row! This is a lot of SUV for the at any price but especially for the money. I might trade this on in at 90K or maybe not. Not even a hint of any mechanical trouble so far. My son has been asking me to sell it to him when I finally get a new one. My main motivation to get a newer model would due to significant improvements in the HMI (GPS - Navigation, etc.) Maybe with Honda and Toyota having their issues Mazda will finally get the respect that they deserve.

Favorite Features

Proximity Key - love not to have to search for for my keys. Zoom - Zoom performance 3rd row seating - comfortable front - seats - 20" chrome wheels (just bought new Pirelli's for $113.00) and more - Strong Resale Value

Suggested Improvements

HMI - Navigation (GPS)& Bluetooth interface need work to truly be world class

CX-9 Long Term Review
By ThatGuyFromOhio

2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our CX-9 GT AWD for nearly 3 years and it is a great people mover that is still fun to drive. It has maybe the best 3rd row access in the whole segment. The styling is great (with the 20" wheels). Looks better with the roof rack too. When I bought it had the Ford engine, and it has worked perfectly. The gearbox is smooth and the ride is still nice and tight. Only after two years have some little things (small plastic interior pieces) have come loose. But overall a great car that seats seven with a lot of flexibility. The mileage could always be better, but I can't complain, it is a big truck that has some go to it. My biggest issue now is do I get a newer one in 6 months

Favorite Features

Driving Dynamics, Looks, Interior Space, Third Row is usable for Adults and it is easy to get in/out. Smart Keys are nice.

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable Seat Heaters, Heated Steering Wheel, Make Homelink Standard, Make rear entertainment cheaper and available with sunroof.

Mazda need improve quality.
By Gallego

2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After 2 years and 47K miles it is good SUV for family of 4. Hard to use the rear seats if you use car seats on both sides.

Favorite Features

Engine power, road performance, brakes, acceleration, sound system Bose.

Suggested Improvements

Noise in the front suspension, poor audio quality when use bluetooth, air leak on windowns at high speed, brakes vibration when used at high speed, click noise in transmission (see reviews about all these complaints). Better tires and traction control when snowing or road wet, easy to loose control

It survived the Dragon
By MikeM856

2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Love this Car!! My wife and I bought a used 2007 GT this June as our future child-mobile. We have driven it all over the country in absolute comfort. As chance would have it we were in Tennessee at the Tail of the Dragon, and this CX-9 performed amazingly well. It took all of the turns beautifully. What a great car!! It fits seven adults or five and A LOT of gear. Great camping car. We looked at this and the Subaru Tribeca. In the end it wasn't even close. Highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration (for an SUV), reliability, comfort, Bose stereo, Bluetooth phone. Price, an excellent value for the money. Just about everything really.

Suggested Improvements

I think that some of the materials inside the cabin could have been a little better quality. Some of the door hardware is starting to squeak. Overall most issues are minor complaints considering other SUV's in its price range.

Accident
By SB Soccer mom

2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I was hit on the passenger side by a someone who ran a red light. The impact was so hard it rolled my car. I walked away with only a sprain!! Highly recommend this vehicle for safety!! I will get another CX-9!

Favorite Features

Very roomy, huge backseat!

Still fun after 2 yrs.
By Yee Haw

2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Still has plenty of Zoom Zoom in it. Have had this as my primary vehical for two yrs and have not regretted one minute of it. Long trips (800+ miles one way) are a breeze. Hooked up a PS2 and the kids are happy. Head phones make Us happy, and the ride make everyone happy.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable for the Driver.

Suggested Improvements

Better lumbar support for the passenger. My wife is 5' tall and the support is a little high for her. Over time she has adjusted greatly.

Love It
By ZoomZoom

2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Mazda CX-9 for a year now. My husband and I both love this car. I have owned many cars and this 1 is the best by far. We have 5 teenagers at home and have taken them on road-trips in this car. The interior room is fantastic. After years of mini-vans, I am thrilled to have a sporty car that is fun to drive. I have had no problems with this car at all.

Suggested Improvements

NONE

Has everything except storage
By allana6

2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is great, you get a lot for your money. It drives well, it handles the road, the interior room is great, the exterior looks great. I love this car, I have the blue mica with navi, bluetooth, roof rail etc, all the bells and whistles, the only thing lacking is storage. Little compartments are lacking, you end up putting everything in your cupholder and then having no place to put your cup. Aside from that, little things are not attached properly. something is always popping off and out of place, if it's not the seat belt holder, it's the cap for the lights on the trunk door. For a family car, you it should be built a little tougher. But all in all, a great buy, very pleased.

Favorite Features

The wheels and rims, the bluetooth, the backup mirror, the 7 seats

Suggested Improvements

More storage, navigation updated

Have now owned for 1 year
By Dan

2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have now owned my 07 CX-9 GT for 1 year - this review may be helpful for people buying/considering the 08. This is a terrific crossover SUV... very fun to drive, roomy, great- looking, great build quality, lots of features, even has pretty good gas mileage (I got 24.5 mpg on a long highway trip @ 70 mph last week; I get 18 mpg around town. I do try to drive gently, e.g. slow starts and stops). I did lots of homework before I bought and still see nothing on the market that compares. I have had great experiences with Mazdas and expect to be very happy with my CX-9 for a long time to come.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, heated seats, Bose stereo, cargo room, controls, great- looking interior and exterior. Virtually everything looks, feels, fits, & works like it should, which is to say, often better than expected.

Suggested Improvements

My one and only complaint is that the ride is a little stiff and choppy - I feel the bumps a little more than I'd like. That may be the price to pay for the great handling and/or the 20-inch wheels. I also wish (ok, 2nd complaint) that the compass and homelink mirror had been standard.

SUV of the year
By PB

2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is the best SUV that I have ever owned. The 6 speed is as smooth as a high end luxury car and the car never fails to find the perfect gear. I am thankful for the gear indicator in the gauges because sometimes you have no idea what gear you are in because the shifting is so smooth; even at high speeds and acceleration. It's quick, comfortable and fun to drive. The bluetooth is great and works well. The 20 inch wheels perform great in the mountains but the ride is bumpy in everyday driving due to the smaller side walls in these larger tires. Tight turning radius makes for easy maneuverability. The keyless entry and ignition work well and is a must have. Very easy to access 3rd row

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, Navigation, heated seats, keyless entry, 20 inch wheels, access to third row, bright xenon headlights that are adjustable, backup camera is a must!

Suggested Improvements

No trip computer for mpg and oil life calculations. The mpg should be better; I am getting only about 21 for highway driving. No equalizer on stereo. Very easy to dent if another car door opens into you.