Used 2012 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda Cx-7 - Consumer Reviews

2012 Mazda CX-7

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Second and last Mazda purchase ever.
By autobsessed

2012 Mazda CX-7 i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased the CX-7 in early 2012 new. My first Mazda vehicle was a Mazda 3 Grand touring purchased new in 2008. My 3 had the exact same issues I am having with my CX-7 now. The Computer resets itself and often. Mazda can never identify the problem. Car kills batteries. They have no idea why? Headlight issues, Low beams burn out often. I buy new bulbs every two months on average in pairs because they go out within a week of each other. Short in both headlights as well. Mazda doesn't care. A/C issues; drains often got clogged leaking water causing puddles all the way to the rear seat. Failing A/C compressor mult. times. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't. Way too many problems.

Favorite Features

Phone pairing and audio streaming. Although sometimes it glitches and puts my audio streaming through the phone (sounds like I'm on hold with a phone tree for a business on my cell phone.) and wont fix itself or let me switch to the regular radio, cd's or satelite radio until the car is restarted. Sunroof when the computer remembers I have one. My roof rack is my favorite because it is the only thing dependable and sturdy about this car. My absolute favorite is that this car is about to be paid off and I can trade it in to get rid of it soon!

Suggested Improvements

Mazda could improve customer service at their dealerships. A few more problems to be aware of; My Tail lights inside were melting because the stock bulbs were too hot for the red plastic coating. Other people I know have had many VVT problems, I have not, yet anyway. Multiple dash lights are out. All of my problems had loopholes that were magically not covered under warranty. Trunk space can be awkward with large/tall objects Paint chipping off steering wheel audio controls and other daily touched interior objects aging poorly. I take care of my vehicles. I wash and detail by hand twice a month All maintenance is done on time. This vehicle is three years old and acts like it's ten years old.

It is not BMW but it is fun to have
By tatoscars

2012 Mazda CX-7 i Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

First of all its by far one of the best good looking crossover SUV out there inside and outside. no other SUV has the sportiness front bumper and fernders as this model. the dash borad is ergonometry and very legant with the double decker and large speakers place on strategely all over the vehicle. It drives very smoothly and yes it does not have a lot power but it has enough to pass many cars and to take quick evasive action if need to. Of course it does not perform like a BMW or other type of high performace more powerful vehicles but it cost way a lot less than those. It is an excellet car for the money I paid and definately for the savings on the cost of maitenance.

Favorite Features

Love the two tones lighter leather interior, the Bose system. the blutooth interface with my Iphone, the heated seats, the large seat and large function buttons that make you feel like your seating in your leaving room playing your stereo, smooth ride. the rear view camera and the nice function display. I also get a decent miles per gallon regarless of some of what have been said in other reviews. drove it on dry and wet roads and it does stick to the ground. Overall it is the right car for me and my needs and I got it at an excellent deal

Suggested Improvements

It need possible a little bit more powerful engine and a bit more sporty suspencion and just those two things will make it into a five stars vehicle. Also a little bit of more leg room in the back. that is it

Best Car Purchase
By bheft2012

2012 Mazda CX-7 s Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My husband and I just upgraded to an SUV and have been searching and shopping for over 6 months. I saw this car on the lot and it was so beautiful I had to test drive it, I didn't care about the price. I drove it and WOW, rides beautifully! The comfort of a luxury SUV for a reasonable price. I drive an hour and a half total to work everyday and I get great MPG! We bought it with 65k miles on it and we haven't noticed any big issues or little issues. It takes turns sharp and clean, accelerates amazing for having a 4 cylinder engine. I feel like I have a 6 cylinder engine for the mpg and price of a 4 cylinder. My family and friends love riding with me, they always choose my car for carpool!

Favorite Features

-Updated Dashboard. -Volume and cruise control adjustments on steering wheel. -Great big center divider that opens and locks! -Seats that automatically fold down in the back! -Great trunk space. -4 Cylinder turbo engine. -Good Visibility. -Price paid for great value.

Suggested Improvements

Seat Warmers and Sunroof

Big Mistake
By chipreader

2012 Mazda CX-7 i SV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Wish we never bought this vehicle. Very disappointed in the "tinnyness" of the car. Light, noisy (especially in the rain) and uncomfortable to drive for someone over 6'. Very poor visibility with bulky headrests and smaller windows. Dash trim fit poor. Poor acceleration with any weight on board. My recommendation is to drive it for a day (wish we did) before purchase. I indicated good reliability, but too early to tell (2500mi). After driving VW for 20 yrs, thought we try something different. Oops.

Favorite Features

Design is what sold us. Good leg space in rear seat.

Suggested Improvements

Interior finish quality, better visibility for taller persons. Heated side mirrors.