Used 2011 Mazda CX-7 i Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Transmission and batteries.
By Kcabebe

2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

All of the cars I own have more than 200K miles on them, I take care of my cars. That being said let me get into my story. The car had been repaired by the dealership at -closed- Mazda in Fremont, CA rear bumper damage during transport, this was not disclosed to us until after we complained we found pink bondo underneath chipped paint. Who repairs a plastic bumper with bondo? That isn't the cars fault, this was the dealer so onto the actual car.
I like the amenaties of the car Bluetooth, awesome speakers sun roof tineed back windows. The ride is good acceleration is good brakes are good, except for the parking brake, which I think is useless, car completely rocks forward after setting luckily the actual park gear is their. Seats are comfy steering is average design and look of the car is good. Plenty of space, road noise, I don't notice road noise much but I listen to music with my windows rolled up. Tires, wow one brand makes your tires, special order, ~$200 a tire, go to costco they have a great warranty service. I had to replace the battery around 36K miles, replaced it with a $200 5 year battery warranty from O'Reilly awesome place a bit expensive but I like the peace of mind. I do not like the placement of the side impact airbags located near the front windshield on both passenger and driver side, this is a very bad flaw in design, it restricts vision to the corners of the car. This is very annoying because it is supposed to protect you. I'm not trying to say it completely blinds you, but it is blocking some portion of a very important spot in your vision, bad. Other than that the car is aesthetically pleasing and very spacious gas is ok. This is my major problem with the car, I have a service warranty on the car covers oil changes and maintenance, I love it every car should have this service, but wish I opted for the extended warranty for power train and transmission. Here is the story:

2011 MAZDA CX-7
I have owned this car for less than 4 years and it has ~40K miles on it. On October 30, 2015, my wife called me distressed, saying that the car sounded funny on the freeway driving to work. Luckily, after exiting she was able to park the car close by in a metered parking area safely. Later that day, while on her lunch break, she got back into the car and attempted to leave. She normally started the car, released the parking brake, put the car in reverse, lifted her foot off the brake and the car did nothing. At this point, she called me and alerted me of the issue. Our insurance company offers free towing, so we took advantage of that, thank you AAA. We towed the car to the Mazda dealership and they were nice enough to take the car in for storage until repair day. Our car is outside of it warranty. My younger brother also has a Mazda CX-7, but it is an older model 2010. This anomaly also occurred with his car, last year. His Mazda needed a new transmission, which I am assuming will happen to me.

Video proof and footage:

I hope this helps you guys. I don't usually write reviews but when I do, it's bad.

Poor Quality
By greats32

2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my CX7 the day before Thanksgiving last year.
Overall I am not impressed with this vehicle.
It has already spent a total of three weeks in the shop because of air conditioning issues as well as electrical issues.

For this vehicle not even being a year old I am VERY disappointed to see the plastic lenses getting cloudy on the head lights.
This is something I would expect from a 8 to 10 year old vehicle.
When I asked the dealer about it I was told this is normal.
This vehicle practically lives in a garage, while at home it’s parked in the garage, and when I am at work it is parked in the underground parking – never really sitting out in direct sun light enough

I like the size of this vehicle.

It would be much better if a V6 was offered with it. The 2.5L I4 is doggy. Add more leather trim interior wise. This vehicle feels cheap.

The BEST Crossover!
By pamy1

2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I love this crossover, compared to other competitor's the Mazda CX-7 is #1! Fun to drive and even comes with great features. I have the sport with convenience package, which is by far the best package. I just can't live without the heated seats, interative bluetooth, back-up camera and the moonroof. There are two ways to fold the seats down, there is even a release button to put the back seats all the way down, and you can put all your grocery's in the trunk with each. My husband is 6 ft 5' and has plenty of room when he's driving, so there is definetly alot of head and leg room. I received so many compliments on this vehicle. The best car for your money!

Heated cloth Seats, Moonroof, Back-up camera and Interactive bluetooth, tilting powered seat, two ways to release back seats I love the fact it fits my husband comfortably, he's 6 ft 5' and there is plenty of room for this man.....amazing

No Complaints, perfect car!

Like the Mazda...
By simply_m

2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Wife wanted a new ride and liked the styling of the cx7. Felt like the price was good for the amount of car we were getting. Liked the fact that it is totally built in Japan ( the Japanese are known to take pride in their workmanship). Read customer reviews and was scared by all the turbo engine problems,so stayed away from it. The standard engine is not bad and avg 24 mpg with mixed city/country road driving. Drives solid but slightly bumpy. After 15,000 miles my main complaint is the transmission. I just don't like the way it hesitates to downshift after slowing down. I haven't had any problems so far. Only regret is small interior with two kids. Price to pay though for decent fuel economy

Remote start can be added without expensive package purchase and is worth every penny. Fun to drive...handles like a sports car. Plenty of safety features standard. Sporty looks. Comfortable interior for average size folks(tall people will be cramped).Overall good visibility while driving.

Less engine noise. More positive feel with transmission. CVT would be nice. More passenger leg room.Overhead storage for sunglasses.

Still Skeptic (trying to be positive)
By izus

2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

there has been some problems so far.
we hace 2400 miles on it.
the air con is not the strongest, during our hot summer in Orlando it does not cool off no matter how far you drive. Mazda told
me the days are just too hot being over 100 degrees.
we suffered for about 2 weeks this summer with a brand new car that cant cool off.

then yesterday i noticed a strange smell coming from the engine compartment. i made an appointment and not sure what the problem is now.

im beginning to think we should have purchased the Toyota rav 4