Used 2011 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda CX-7

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Ride is so smooth
By Paul

2011 Mazda CX-7 i SV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Very pleased overall with this suv. Great ride and dependable

Transmission and batteries.
By Kcabebe

2011 Mazda CX-7 i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

All of the cars I own have more than 200K miles on them, I take care of my cars. That being said let me get into my story. The car had been repaired by the dealership at -closed- Mazda in Fremont, CA rear bumper damage during transport, this was not disclosed to us until after we complained we found pink bondo underneath chipped paint. Who repairs a plastic bumper with bondo? That isn't the cars fault, this was the dealer so onto the actual car.
I like the amenaties of the car Bluetooth, awesome speakers sun roof tineed back windows. The ride is good acceleration is good brakes are good, except for the parking brake, which I think is useless, car completely rocks forward after setting luckily the actual park gear is their. Seats are comfy steering is average design and look of the car is good. Plenty of space, road noise, I don't notice road noise much but I listen to music with my windows rolled up. Tires, wow one brand makes your tires, special order, ~$200 a tire, go to costco they have a great warranty service. I had to replace the battery around 36K miles, replaced it with a $200 5 year battery warranty from O'Reilly awesome place a bit expensive but I like the peace of mind. I do not like the placement of the side impact airbags located near the front windshield on both passenger and driver side, this is a very bad flaw in design, it restricts vision to the corners of the car. This is very annoying because it is supposed to protect you. I'm not trying to say it completely blinds you, but it is blocking some portion of a very important spot in your vision, bad. Other than that the car is aesthetically pleasing and very spacious gas is ok. This is my major problem with the car, I have a service warranty on the car covers oil changes and maintenance, I love it every car should have this service, but wish I opted for the extended warranty for power train and transmission. Here is the story:

2011 MAZDA CX-7
I have owned this car for less than 4 years and it has ~40K miles on it. On October 30, 2015, my wife called me distressed, saying that the car sounded funny on the freeway driving to work. Luckily, after exiting she was able to park the car close by in a metered parking area safely. Later that day, while on her lunch break, she got back into the car and attempted to leave. She normally started the car, released the parking brake, put the car in reverse, lifted her foot off the brake and the car did nothing. At this point, she called me and alerted me of the issue. Our insurance company offers free towing, so we took advantage of that, thank you AAA. We towed the car to the Mazda dealership and they were nice enough to take the car in for storage until repair day. Our car is outside of it warranty. My younger brother also has a Mazda CX-7, but it is an older model 2010. This anomaly also occurred with his car, last year. His Mazda needed a new transmission, which I am assuming will happen to me.

Video proof and footage:

I hope this helps you guys. I don't usually write reviews but when I do, it's bad.

Fantastic Ride
By joebrock5

2011 Mazda CX-7 s Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This SUV is fun to drive! It drive more like a sports car and handles really well. There is plenty of power from the turbo charged engine. As for the comments about the A/C I have had zero problems. It blows ice cold air on the hottest of days in Arizona. With over 80K have had the car in the shop once for repairs due to a tire issue. Maintenance costs are relatively low, although I would recommend using synthetic oil. Highly reliable and looks great.

Spiders may Block Fuel Tank Vent Line
By stantonb1

2011 Mazda CX-7 s Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Attention MAZDA / 2010-2012 owners Mazda North America Operations has issued a NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 14V114 stating that yes "Spiders may Block Fuel Tank Vent Line".
I only have 13,000 miles on my CX-7 GT and believe me Mazda should be addressing the Turbo problem, AC problem and braking problem.
Spiders, give me a break.

As I said in my prior comment bought a 2013 Honda CR-V base am very pleased with it and just ordered a 2014 Honda CR-V EXL.

I still love the styling of my CX-7, but that is about all.
Drove CX-5 and extremely disappointed.

Styling.

Admit mistakes with turbo, AC and brakes and correct.

Not A Wonderful Vehicle
By stantonb1

2011 Mazda CX-7 s Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought our CX7 in August 2011 new, vehicle now has 10,000 miles.
CX7 is a big disappointment.
AC not adequate, turbo hesitates, paint job brilliant black is inferior and gas mileage poor.
Complained to Mazda and after BBB intervention Mazda extended the warranty.

Trying to sell this vehicle.

Just purchased a 2013 Honda CRV base model, because we were not sure we would want to keep it long haul.
The Honda is trouble free.
AC is wonderful, vehicle is well built and solid.
Only have 2,000 miles, but can not say enough positive things about our CRV.
The paint job Twilight blue is excellent.
The gas mileage is 18 city 30 highway as tracked on computer.

Bose Sound system.

I can see why CX7 was discontinued and replaced with CX5. Looked at CX5 and extremely disappointed.