2009 Mazda CX-7 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:
DON'T BUY A MAZDA CX-7
By debbiec13 on 03/22/13 07:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Our Mazda CX-7, with 57,000 miles on it, experienced the same sludge build up resulting in a turbo blowing out, timing chain stretching and VVT needing replacement, as thousands of other CX-7 owners have also experienced. With the original warranty and extended warranty still in place, Mazda denied all service claims stating "poor vehicle maintenance"--as they have with all the other CX-7 owners. In speaking with Mazda technicians, they stated to me that there is a problem with the oil cooled turbo that Mazda refuses to admit to because it will result in a huge recall. Mazda needs to be held accountable for their poor design on these cars and stop putting the blame on consumers.

So far so good
By pega on 04/16/10 07:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

In 9 months I made put 25K km (17K in miles) and everything is perfect. I've been to a few long trips, it's such a fun to drive this car at these long trips - this is where it's a its best. Gas mileage is a bit on the high side, especially at winter, but hey, you can't have everything. I'm a bit worried reading all the bad reliability reviews for 2007 that I decided to write this one. So far, I love this car.

Engine problems
By bmjdlj on 04/14/10 11:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I saw no review about the VVT problem that is part of the CX7. This can be a very serious problem. To having the entire engine replaced. Symptoms: engine makes ticking/clacking noise when running and loud snap upon start up. My first trip to dealership was brushed off. Second trip, doing repairs.

Mazda
By belajac on 03/08/10 05:59 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Nothing but problems. Two weeks after purchase looked under the car to see what the exhaust looked like the car all I saw was rust from the front to the back I was very disappointed when I buy a new car I expected a new car. Took it in for inspection a few months later and rotors needed cut and brake pads had to have rust sanded ( come on just replace them) then at 6000 miles all my electronics shut down everything went off TCS radio blue tooth navigation gas gauge would float from empty to full I have no idea probably rusted somewhere in the components sound like electrical???? Will they ever figure it out?? I got ride of the car happiest day ever took my loss and bought a Nissan again.

No Regrets
By torchum on 02/16/10 06:19 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The wife purchased this vehicle and although it does not have the bells and whistles of an optioned model (sure wish it had a few more basic ones though) we are very pleased with it. Working with dealership on a few issues but over all very impressed. The 2009 motor vs the 2010 motor is night and day and the main reason for buying an 09

Must test drive
By George on 01/16/10 18:19 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned over 30 cars throughout my life. This is one of the most fun i have ever had in a car. Lived in Germany for five years and wished i had the CX-7 for the autobahn. The seat bottoms in the front seats are a little short. They may have fixed this for 2010.

First SUV last Mazda!!!
By Siddiqui on 10/15/09 13:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great combination of sport and utility. Hate to say interior looks nice but cheap quality material, winds noise and side mirror vibrates when drive more than 60 mph, found alot of blind spots. Back lights each set for 569.00 plus tax!!. Too much rounds to gas station after buying it. Purchased my '09 CX-7 AWD Sport (w/Leather)in July for USD 23000 OTD (out the door) and showed to my cousin and next month he bought 2010 (no leather) but with more nicer interior and options for 21,000 OTD same dealer, which makes me little sad. Fun to drive but be ready to get TICKET!!.

Love the car so far
By vm on 10/13/09 12:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I recently bough the cx7 and am very happy with it. I really like the steering and the absence of body roll. The acceleration feels comfortable on the highway, but don't expect this to be a sportscar. There is plenty of room in the back for groceries or skis (when the seats are laid back). The rear seats are extremely easy to fold back. I also like the front bucket seats and the leather feels very good. The interior is way better than a Forrester or an accord. The few complaints that I have are fuel economy (for me that doesn't matter since I don't drive a lot). Also the bluetooth is useless. Also sometimes you can feels bumps on the road.

Great CUV For Small Family
By Road Trip on 09/01/09 11:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great combination of sport and utility. This is my 2nd CX-7. Purchased my '09 CX-7 AWD Sport(w/Bose and sunroof)in March after completing a short term lease on an '07. Perfect vehicle for a small family or an adventurous couple. It's a car(?) I love to drive on a daily basis and it's fantastic for road trips.(I mounted a trailer hitch on mine and we take our bicycles with us on our trips.) Mileage was quite poor on my '07, but I still bought my '09. Surprisingly mileage is better on my '09. I get around 18-19mpg in local driving and as much as 24mpg in pure highway driving(w/premium). For a little under 23K this is a CUV that could compete with more more expensive vehicles.

Gotta Love it!
By myzoomerama on 08/26/09 16:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love my CX-7! Traded in a 2004 Mazda 6, wanted to go back to a SUV type vehicle but got the the best of both worlds with my CX-7 - drive's like a sports car with the upgraded comfort and appearance of a small SUV. Considered just about every SUV on the market including Ford Escape and Nissan Murano. The CX-7 consistently turns my head and for the price you absolutely can not go wrong!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda CX-7 Suv in VA is:

$112 per month*