Used 2009 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda CX-7 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

DON'T BUY A MAZDA CX-7
By debbiec13

2009 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Our Mazda CX-7, with 57,000 miles on it, experienced the same sludge build up resulting in a turbo blowing out, timing chain stretching and VVT needing replacement, as thousands of other CX-7 owners have also experienced. With the original warranty and extended warranty still in place, Mazda denied all service claims stating "poor vehicle maintenance"--as they have with all the other CX-7 owners. In speaking with Mazda technicians, they stated to me that there is a problem with the oil cooled turbo that Mazda refuses to admit to because it will result in a huge recall. Mazda needs to be held accountable for their poor design on these cars and stop putting the blame on consumers.

So far so good
By pega

2009 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

In 9 months I made put 25K km (17K in miles) and everything is perfect. I've been to a few long trips, it's such a fun to drive this car at these long trips - this is where it's a its best. Gas mileage is a bit on the high side, especially at winter, but hey, you can't have everything. I'm a bit worried reading all the bad reliability reviews for 2007 that I decided to write this one. So far, I love this car.

Engine problems
By bmjdlj

2009 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I saw no review about the VVT problem that is part of the CX7. This can be a very serious problem. To having the entire engine replaced. Symptoms: engine makes ticking/clacking noise when running and loud snap upon start up. My first trip to dealership was brushed off. Second trip, doing repairs.

Outside styling. BUT slant of front doors can be a problem. Top edge of door is back further from handle, has hit me and others in face when closing.

Mazda
By belajac

2009 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Nothing but problems. Two weeks after purchase looked under the car to see what the exhaust looked like the car all I saw was rust from the front to the back I was very disappointed when I buy a new car I expected a new car. Took it in for inspection a few months later and rotors needed cut and brake pads had to have rust sanded ( come on just replace them) then at 6000 miles all my electronics shut down everything went off TCS radio blue tooth navigation gas gauge would float from empty to full I have no idea probably rusted somewhere in the components sound like electrical???? Will they ever figure it out?? I got ride of the car happiest day ever took my loss and bought a Nissan again.

Bose speaker when it worked

Better carpet and the doors are really thin metal.

No Regrets
By torchum

2009 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The wife purchased this vehicle and although it does not have the bells and whistles of an optioned model (sure wish it had a few more basic ones though) we are very pleased with it. Working with dealership on a few issues but over all very impressed. The 2009 motor vs the 2010 motor is night and day and the main reason for buying an 09

Excellent feel on the road. Drives on rails and has plenty of power for commuting and cruising. Very sharp design inside and out

Desperately needs more basic options like daytime running lights and headlights that turn off automatically. Heated seats have only one position...on...and this flows up and down with no way to regulate.The WORST is the low beams.Pretty much useless.On a rainy night, they are absolutely UNSAFE.