Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

engine problems
By wendy trotter

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have not owned my CX7 Touring for quite a year yet, next week will be a year, have 10,000 miles on it. Blue smoke & black smoke pouring out from engine, turbo very noisy. Took it to dealership, they took it right in,problems with the turbo on this vehicle. Also poor fuel economy takes premium gas. Will not keep this vehicle once warranty is out.

outside design,heated leather seats

less engine noise,better gas mileage, better stereo for $27,000 vehicle

2 years and still loving it
By Lisa

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car on an impulse the day before I moved to Colorado from Texas. I had driven a Mazda 6 for a few years before after converting from Honda, and was really impressed with the company, so decided to give the new sporty SUV a try...it was a great choice! I normally don't like driving SUV's or trucks because they feel too big, and the CX-7 is a perfect fit for me! I have the black on black model and adore driving it. I take it to the mountains all year and it handles great, even in thick snow and icy conditions. I'm always the one volunteering to drive when it's time for road trips and such, and I usually hate driving. Overall, it's a great car with solid looks and performance.

Driving it, of course! Also love the looks, both interior and exterior. Holds my ski's in the winter and my bike and dog in the summer.

Gas mileage, my recent drive to TX averaged about 20 mpg highway.

Thank Goodness it's under warrenty!
By AMB

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Yesterday was the second time in less than 2 weeks that the car broke down and I had it towed to the dealer. After about 2,000 miles I had to have the brakes replaced (the car shimmied with each application of the breaks). At 26,000 miles I was told by the service manager that I should replace my tires. No one at the dealership seemed to think this was outrageous. Last week, the air compressor quit and a belt broke. It took the dealer 4 days to repair. Yesterday, I heard a clunk, my battery light went on, then the car quit. I have 28,400 miles on the car. This is a lease vehicle. When I turn the car in 12/2009, I am done with Mazda!

Value SUV
By Ed

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have owned the vehicle 18 months. Replaced the factor tires at 12K miles, and the AC compressor at 26K. Both very unacceptable, (AC was covered by warranty.) With that said, this vehicle represents the most car for the money in its segment. I have a Grand Touring with Navigation and paid less than 29K. Try and find anything for that price that drives like this car. It has plenty of room, drives and looks great, and it get's around 20 mpg. My lease ends this November and I will most likely buy this CX7 at lease end. If you drive this car, and compare it to it to other SUV's, you will buy it. Compare this to an Acura MDX and you will have an extra $10K to buy a few extra set of tires.

Car great at highway speeds. Has great stereo, navigation, heated seats, HID headlights and sunroof. Looks awesome.

Low end acceleration could be better. Original Equipment tires should last longer.

2008 Mazda CX7 AWD
By Joe Cafaro

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We own a 2008 Lexus RX350 as well as this CX7. The CX costs almost one half the as much as the Lexus. I cannot justify the difference. The CX7 is THE VALUE proposition. Ride, handling, comfort,and its pep are truly outstanding. The CX7 runs well on regular gas but fuel economy is a serious disappointment. Mazda with all its talent MUST come up with a fuel efficient engine for this otherwise superior offering. The Bose surround sound system is an absolute must. Still a better value than the Lexus even considering the poor fuel economy. With better fuel efficiency while maintaining the peppy, fun to drive experience, this crossover would lead all competitors. Fit and finish are excellent

Excellent leather seats. Comfortable ride. Fun to drive. Peppy.

Badly needs a fuel efficient engine with no compromise to pep and handling.