Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda CX-7 - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda CX-7

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Great Looking car - but beware of tires.
By Kara

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love how the car stands out - it's different than what everyone has. Really appreciate Mazda's design innovation. I considered myself a big advocate for the brand, however this will be my last...the past two Mazda's have required a tire replacement much to early. Two tires on my CX-7 (Touring model) are considered "dangerous" and two "suggested replacements". So at 20,000 miles, I'm paying over $900 for four new tires. Mazda will not take any responsibility even though they make the decision to use that tire. I have never had this issue with any vehicle - other than my two Mazdas. So if you go this route - make sure to bake in extra costs for this issue.

Exterior / Interior style.

Gas mileage leaves something to be desired, and as mentioned above, the tire "life" has made me extremely dissatisfied.

Fell in love....now HATE
By jerseygirl

2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This was my second car ever and I was completely in love until the cars issues began! It killed me to see this car break so much because it was my baby. Turbo went twice, tires had to be changed at 20000 miles, navigation only works when it wants to, the engine ticks VERY loudly, squeaks like a 30 year old car, battery just went due to bad starter (still fighting dealership over that), the gas mileage is terrible!,the paint scratches very easily, and the abs has failed more then once. This car could be a awesome car if they fixed the problems! I loved it so much when I bought it!

the headlights are wonderful, the sound system (Bose) is amazing, style is the best in its class

no turbo OR bigger engine, better gas mileage, navigation updated (w/ bluetooth and ipod hookups), better stock tires, engine problems fixed, better paint used, all the other problems too!

very disappointed
By Angela

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had the suv for a year and half I have had to take it in 3 times bought it brand new I am very disappointed. I think when you buy a brand new vehicle it should work. I will NEVER buy a Mazda again and if you are thinking about purchasing this vehicle Please Think Twice cause it has been a nightmare for our family.I wish they would take it back.

The outside of this vehicle looks great but the inside was made poorly.

Make a vehicle that you do not have to bring in for at least 4 years after purchasing it brand new. I have a 99 ford expedition that i have never had to take in for anything even to this day. I will be sticking to American made vehicles from now on.

Would never buy this car again!
By amyemme

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car has horrible paint. As someone else stated paint seems to have flaws. I live in Michigan this car is horrible in even 1 inch of snow ! The tires are very cheap. Need new tires at 12k. I haven't experienced the a/c problems others reported is the only positive. The gas mileage is also horrible. The biggest annoyance is the road noise. Can't talk on phone when on the highway without turning cell phone vol. way up !! There also is no room for an infant carseat. I have to move my seat forward to put my baby in or out when using my carseat base. I wish my lease was up last year! Don't buy this car.

Bose system, Body style

Gas mileage, Road noise, Paint job. New tires.

Loved it... and now hate it
By Mark

2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I started off loving the CX-7 and after having it for over a year I now hate it sadly. The engine makes excellent power, could easily make more, but is held back by the automatic trans. When in auto mode its ok but manual mode is an absolute joke. It takes so long to shift that without perfect timing it would never give optimal acceleration. A manual version, which they do have overseas, would really wake it up. We've had some issues, biggest being the a/c failing. I've seen others have the same a/c issues and dealerships seem to not be covering them under warranty. It eats tires. I could go on much more but don't have enough room to type all that's wrong. Won't buy a new Mazda again.

Engine, if you don't have problems with it, is decent. Heated seats. Xenon headlights, though Bi-Xenon would be better if properly made. Brakes are pretty good. Rear folding seats with quick release in rear. Front exterior styling. Good handling. Pretty good chassis, feels solid.

Gauges (new ones much better). A/C colder and its issues. TCS. Needs manual trans or much faster shifting. Reliability. Tire issue. 255/55/18 tires stock. Fuel system runs too rich, 17.5 mpg on the interstate... seriously? Auto climate control is a joke, turns on a/c when on floor mode for one.