Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda CX-7

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

very disappointed
By Angela

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had the suv for a year and half I have had to take it in 3 times bought it brand new I am very disappointed. I think when you buy a brand new vehicle it should work. I will NEVER buy a Mazda again and if you are thinking about purchasing this vehicle Please Think Twice cause it has been a nightmare for our family.I wish they would take it back.

Favorite Features

The outside of this vehicle looks great but the inside was made poorly.

Suggested Improvements

Make a vehicle that you do not have to bring in for at least 4 years after purchasing it brand new. I have a 99 ford expedition that i have never had to take in for anything even to this day. I will be sticking to American made vehicles from now on.

Would never buy this car again!
By amyemme

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car has horrible paint. As someone else stated paint seems to have flaws. I live in Michigan this car is horrible in even 1 inch of snow ! The tires are very cheap. Need new tires at 12k. I haven't experienced the a/c problems others reported is the only positive. The gas mileage is also horrible. The biggest annoyance is the road noise. Can't talk on phone when on the highway without turning cell phone vol. way up !! There also is no room for an infant carseat. I have to move my seat forward to put my baby in or out when using my carseat base. I wish my lease was up last year! Don't buy this car.

Favorite Features

Bose system, Body style

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, Road noise, Paint job. New tires.

Loved it... and now hate it
By Mark

2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I started off loving the CX-7 and after having it for over a year I now hate it sadly. The engine makes excellent power, could easily make more, but is held back by the automatic trans. When in auto mode its ok but manual mode is an absolute joke. It takes so long to shift that without perfect timing it would never give optimal acceleration. A manual version, which they do have overseas, would really wake it up. We've had some issues, biggest being the a/c failing. I've seen others have the same a/c issues and dealerships seem to not be covering them under warranty. It eats tires. I could go on much more but don't have enough room to type all that's wrong. Won't buy a new Mazda again.

Favorite Features

Engine, if you don't have problems with it, is decent. Heated seats. Xenon headlights, though Bi-Xenon would be better if properly made. Brakes are pretty good. Rear folding seats with quick release in rear. Front exterior styling. Good handling. Pretty good chassis, feels solid.

Suggested Improvements

Gauges (new ones much better). A/C colder and its issues. TCS. Needs manual trans or much faster shifting. Reliability. Tire issue. 255/55/18 tires stock. Fuel system runs too rich, 17.5 mpg on the interstate... seriously? Auto climate control is a joke, turns on a/c when on floor mode for one.

My Experience With my MazdaCX7 so for...
By Siva

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this CX7 2008 model around Jan 09. Got huge discount... I got 6k less than msrp. great deal. Considered crv rav4 outlander forester and then closed in on mazda cx7 for its style and performance. So far I have put 15k miles ..drives great so for. Drove my car from batonrouge la to los angeles ca close to 1800 miles and didn't feel a bit tired... drove (9-10 hrs) for three days and took two breaks at junction tx and wilcox az. the whole trip averaged close to 24 which I am happy. texas stretch I drove at 80mph and averaged 21.4. I am tech guy / contractor so I go to diff places and my mazda cx7 gives me good company. la to san jose @ 60 mph gv me 28mpg. great car overall.

Favorite Features

Bose Stereo / Ample front seat space / comfort / power / exterior style / brakes / ride quality / great car over all. I made the right choice buying this car / something special.

Suggested Improvements

miss the mp3 support in my 6 cd changer / missing aux port / door screws / nuts kind of rusted not sure if it is normal... worried the same kind of nuts would hv been used inside my car /Otherwise happy with my car... keep up the good work mazda

2008 Mazda CX7 Review.
By Edward D'Eustachio

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great mid-size SUV. Handling above average but could be better. Fuel economy not good. Plenty of power. Would love to see this model in a hybrid. Would love to have been able to purchase the sun roof as a stand alone option.

Favorite Features

Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Hybrid engine. Tighter more responsive suspension.