Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Cx-7 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

DRIVING IT UNTIL IT DIES
By multi_cars

2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought it new on 12/31/2007 and have put on a little over 55,000 miles. Taken it to the dealer for service for oil changes and regular maintenance. Had a bearing start to go around 54,500 miles and they replaced it under warranty - NO charge. Great overall car. Grand Touring package (leather) makes it just as nice as a Lexus. Great Snow car (just change out the factory tires) Gas mileage ok - around 20-21 overall. Probably a great car to buy used as well as it has a LOT of features and is not a typical SUV box to drive around in.

Favorite Features

Control-on-the-steering-wheel radio controls very good. Auto-stick transmission with 6 speed great for driving in snow. Heavier body and frame than previous car (Subaru Forester S). Better driving and overall traction in snow. Nice highway car. Tire-pressure monitoring system really works well.

Suggested Improvements

Factory tires (Goodyear 18" RSAs) were garbage. Switched around 25,000 miles to Yokohama Paradas - a GREAT all-around tire. Also bought 19" O-Z wheels at that time and the car looks great. Move up to 19" or 20" wheels and get better tires.

Sophisticated and Spunky
By rpleb35

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought a used 08 CX7 about a month ago with only 25,000 miles on it. After looking at many crossovers, I never considered the CX7 because I didnt know they existed. After seeing this on the lot, I fell in love with it. This is my first ever foreign car and although I was torn about buying foreign, I couldnt be more happier with this vehicle. It has the power of any full size SUV out there. I am getting about 20 miles combined to the gallon. This isnt that great but I knew that going in. The car is well built and it is so much fun to drive. Although I bought primarily for my wife to drive, I find myself using it whenever I can. This is a vehicle that I will keep for a long long time.

Favorite Features

Amount of power for a 4 cylinder. The exterior design is sporty and shows muscle.

Suggested Improvements

Its minor but I wish there was a outside temperature gauge on the dash. After owning vehicles with one, I do miss it.

Great SUV
By jaron1

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is a great car considered lots of other vehicles before buying. I thought the some of these reviews were unfair about this car as most of the problems were due to driver error. And not keeping up on normal maintenance this is a fantastic car fun to drive lots of spunk and great ride quality. Its quite inside with plenty of room I would recomend this car to anyone

Big Disapointment
By lilgreenfrog76

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I thought driving a Mazda would be wonderful. I love forgeign cars as they last forever!! I couldn't be more wrong. Bought the car with 16k miles and at 70k miles, the engine blows. First was thought the timing chain broke, but wasn't. Mazda will NOT stand by their product. They have a crappy warrenty for a reason. Their cars are CRAP!! I checked out more cars like mine, there IS a bad problem with the engines!!! There is NO reason for a maintained car to have such issues at low miles. I had a VW with 144k miles, 10 years old and never once gave me problems. SHAME ON YOU MAZDA!! Build a better car or fix it. Check reviews and engine problems on the 07' & 08' CX-7's!! U have been WARNED!!!!

Favorite Features

Design and comfort. But that is not what makes the car run. I would rather have a car I can DRIVE. Mazda has failed me AND my family!! I will never buy one again.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger more reliable engines. Preferrably, a NON Interferrence Engine!! These engines are NOT built to last!!!!

Fun to drive, not fun to maintain
By ShiftLft

2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The 2008 CX7 is a fun car to drive, but over the years has been less than fun to maintain. Less than 3 months after purchasing it brand new, the exhaust tips began rusting. That was the first bad sign. Since then in just over 2 years, I've had a door replaced after rusting, trailer hitch has rusted, tires lasted a whole 18,000 miles, I need new brakes and rotors already, and the EGR valve has gone bad and needs replacement ($900 repair). After all of this, last week I decided to trade in the vehicle rather than deal with 3 more years of problems on the loan. I'm picking up my 2011 GMC Terrain tomorrow.

Favorite Features

The turbo, leather seats, interior, Xenon headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better but it does have a turbo. Just reliability overall needs to be improved before I consider purchasing another Mazda product.