Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Engine Failure
By mazdasrjunk

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a 2008 CX 7 with 62,000 miles on it in April 2012 they replaced the vvt adjuster and chain at that point. It is now March 2013 and 14,000 miles later and the vvt is out again, the turbo is out and after a $3000 quote to repair it my dealer calls back and says "well we made the repairs to your car but it is going to need an engine".
That is supposed to cost $6,000. No helpis being brought from Mazda the issue is being pushed to higher up in the world of Mazda.
Needless to say Mazda has not impressed me.
They are telling me this is caused by "sludge".
But in the next breath my dealer tells me "sludge" is normal in this engine. I wonder how this will play out.

Fix your engines so they last longer than 76,000 miles before needing replacement.

Mazda Builds CRAP!!!!!! Buyer Beware
By jimjaq1

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Mazda's design engineers have the heads in a very dark hole. The turbo charger they put in the vehicle does not lubricate itself and fails quickly. At 70K the timing belt has stretched and failed causing a complete rebuild of the engine (BTW, Mazda won't cover any of that, wait until you get to deal with their warranty people). Mazda has design a vehicle that is very noisy inside, bad visibility from anywhere inside the car, terrible air-conditioning, the car rides like a stage coach, and worst of all Mazda does not back its warranties and hides from its responsibilities concerning its products....buyer beware

There are NO redeeming features in this vehicle. Please buy a Toyota, or a Ford, but DO NOT invest your good money on a Mazda product, it would be throwing you money down a rat-hole

The company should make bottle caps, it appears that's the extent of their mechanical and electrical prowess. PLEASE heed this review, you'll regret your decision, it's only a matter of miles.

Love my baby!!
By loveliladi

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2008 CX7 in Oct 2012. 3 days after purchasing it I too had white smoke coming from the exhaust. I returned it to the dealership and they fixed it with no questions asked. Other than that, like everyone else, the gas consumption is a little low but it also depends on how you drive. If your always driving like a bat out of hell then of course your gas consumption will be less than someone takes their time or goes a slow, steady speed. The interion is comfortable (sometimes I feel like Im in a cockpit in a spaceship lol). The back is very roomy and everyone says they love it back there. This is my first SUV so I ma love, love, loving sitting higher. Great purchase so far.

Fun car to drive but too many issues.
By colgezgini

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I will edit this review with details; in a nut shell, it is very fun to drive, good steering and suspension response on all kind of roads. It is agile and has road holding that is better than all of its rivals.

Its brakes are also impressive and despite they are little difficult to dose, stopping distance is beautiful.

I am 6'7" and I fit inside comfortably.

Actually, I have a friend who owns an BMW X6 and a 2010 CX-7 and he likes dynamics of CX-7 more than X6. His words are "CX-7 is like extension of my body, obeys all my orders perfectly".

Now the complaints: 1- Terrible consumption. I like playing with my toy a lot, so if push turbo, my mileage goes as low as 15 mpg. Highway driving, I average 21 mpg if I drive around <80mpg 2- Material selection for interior is also terrible. Shiny plastic is easy to scratch and steering wheel leather is completely torn in less than 5 years. Color of plastic components on the cars is also faded. I also had a white smoke coming from my car but the dealer replaced the components after little fight. I understand that is was a design error.

Owned for years, still love it
By lurking444

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2008 CX-7 new, in 2009. It was a "demo" model so I got a good deal. My car only has 25,000 miles on it so far (yeah, I don't drive it all the time). However, I do love the sporty feel, the moderately large cargo capacity, and the styling; it still looks cutting edge.

I don't drive it much because my wife and I also own a diesel VW Jetta, which gets better than twice the mpg of the Mazda. I've averaged about 18.5mpg on the CX-7 in the years I've owned it. I love the sportiness of the vehicle, but you'll have to make a judgement about whether poor fuel economy is worth the love of the road/drive. I'm happy with my decision to buy this car.

The turbo engine has got plenty of kick when it 'spools' up. The auto-manual transmission (I have the Grand Touring edition) is great. The leather seats are comfy and still look stylish. I like the Xenon headlamps (again on the Grand Touring). The exterior styling, especially in my Black Cherry color, is striking. The AWD gets me where I need to go, even in 2 feet of snow (I tested it, more than once).

MPG, MPG, MPG. How many times can I say it? A compact SUV should average better than my observed 18.5 mpg average. My minimum for my next car is 20 mpg average. The alignment (wheel alignment) is easy to 'knock off'. My alignment destroyed my tires in only 20k miles. The Mazda installed GPS is poorly designed; my wife's iPhone is more reliable and accurate, with a better interface.