Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Love my baby!!
By loveliladi

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2008 CX7 in Oct 2012. 3 days after purchasing it I too had white smoke coming from the exhaust. I returned it to the dealership and they fixed it with no questions asked. Other than that, like everyone else, the gas consumption is a little low but it also depends on how you drive. If your always driving like a bat out of hell then of course your gas consumption will be less than someone takes their time or goes a slow, steady speed. The interion is comfortable (sometimes I feel like Im in a cockpit in a spaceship lol). The back is very roomy and everyone says they love it back there. This is my first SUV so I ma love, love, loving sitting higher. Great purchase so far.

Fun car to drive but too many issues.
By colgezgini

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I will edit this review with details; in a nut shell, it is very fun to drive, good steering and suspension response on all kind of roads. It is agile and has road holding that is better than all of its rivals. Its brakes are also impressive and despite they are little difficult to dose, stopping distance is beautiful. I am 6'7" and I fit inside comfortably. Actually, I have a friend who owns an BMW X6 and a 2010 CX-7 and he likes dynamics of CX-7 more than X6. His words are "CX-7 is like extension of my body, obeys all my orders perfectly".

Suggested Improvements

Now the complaints: 1- Terrible consumption. I like playing with my toy a lot, so if push turbo, my mileage goes as low as 15 mpg. Highway driving, I average 21 mpg if I drive around <80mpg 2- Material selection for interior is also terrible. Shiny plastic is easy to scratch and steering wheel leather is completely torn in less than 5 years. Color of plastic components on the cars is also faded. I also had a white smoke coming from my car but the dealer replaced the components after little fight. I understand that is was a design error.

Owned for years, still love it
By lurking444

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2008 CX-7 new, in 2009. It was a "demo" model so I got a good deal. My car only has 25,000 miles on it so far (yeah, I don't drive it all the time). However, I do love the sporty feel, the moderately large cargo capacity, and the styling; it still looks cutting edge. I don't drive it much because my wife and I also own a diesel VW Jetta, which gets better than twice the mpg of the Mazda. I've averaged about 18.5mpg on the CX-7 in the years I've owned it. I love the sportiness of the vehicle, but you'll have to make a judgement about whether poor fuel economy is worth the love of the road/drive. I'm happy with my decision to buy this car.

Favorite Features

The turbo engine has got plenty of kick when it 'spools' up. The auto-manual transmission (I have the Grand Touring edition) is great. The leather seats are comfy and still look stylish. I like the Xenon headlamps (again on the Grand Touring). The exterior styling, especially in my Black Cherry color, is striking. The AWD gets me where I need to go, even in 2 feet of snow (I tested it, more than once).

Suggested Improvements

MPG, MPG, MPG. How many times can I say it? A compact SUV should average better than my observed 18.5 mpg average. My minimum for my next car is 20 mpg average. The alignment (wheel alignment) is easy to 'knock off'. My alignment destroyed my tires in only 20k miles. The Mazda installed GPS is poorly designed; my wife's iPhone is more reliable and accurate, with a better interface.

Worst Car Ever
By 524dnx

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been driving Hondas for 30 years. I purchased the Mazda 2 years ago. The turbo just went out and Mazda won't honior the warrantly because there is "sludge" in my engine. The Mazda dealership told me to replace the entire engine at a cost of $9000. I have 60,000 miles on it. Regular maintenance and use synthetic oil but since I did not have my oil changes done at the dealership the dealership won't cover it either. Also, I bought it used and did think to ask for copies of the oil changes from the previous owner and without those, I can't prove the oil was changed every 3,000 miles.

Great car with a few quirks
By dementedcx

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought this car a little over a month ago, Traded a 2008 Scion TC for it cause our little family had grown by 1 more. Aside from the MPG's I have no real complaints about it. The brakes needed changed at less than 30K but i undertook that task myself & it has a slight vibration at 50-60mph that i'm still trying to track down. But it's an amazing car to own, it's fast & sporty. The older kids (6&8) absolutely love it, Just wish i had gotten one with more options.

Favorite Features

AWD, Turbo, Remote/one touch windows.