Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Engine Failure CX7 @ 70K miles
By ruby23

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a Certified CX7 2008. A year and a half later the car is completely giving out. We take MAJOR care of all our cars with Synthetic Oil, so when they told us it was due to "Sludge" it was definitely a slap in the face. The engine needs to be replaced at only 70k miles. We talked to a mechanic and he told us that the turbo overhearts the engine turning everything into sludge and even melting it. Although we have a platinum coverage, the insurance is doing everything they can to blame it on us. I've been looking at reviews and it seems ALOT of you are having or had the same issues! It's horrible to keep paying for a car whose engine dies of its own malfunction. Its time Mazda owns up!

None anymore!

Improve your engines and remove the turbo, its over heating causing malfunctions and melting.

Love my baby!!
By loveliladi

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2008 CX7 in Oct 2012. 3 days after purchasing it I too had white smoke coming from the exhaust. I returned it to the dealership and they fixed it with no questions asked. Other than that, like everyone else, the gas consumption is a little low but it also depends on how you drive. If your always driving like a bat out of hell then of course your gas consumption will be less than someone takes their time or goes a slow, steady speed. The interion is comfortable (sometimes I feel like Im in a cockpit in a spaceship lol). The back is very roomy and everyone says they love it back there. This is my first SUV so I ma love, love, loving sitting higher. Great purchase so far.

My experience with CX7
By Liz

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I'm currently leasing a Mazda CX-7 and for the most part its been fun to drive, I do have an issue with Mazda the quality of tires they are choosing is the lowest, and I say this because I'm in the tire business, I only got 12,00 miles with the original tires. This is very disappointing I went to the dealership and they don't want any part of this they direct you to Bridgestone even worse, its wear and tear and that is b%$%^%^%. I have bought and leased may other cars never had this problem. Yes it has 18' wheels but choose a better class tire "BRIDGESTONE TURANZA" is a low class tire and they know it. I have replaced my tires and the ride is more smoother. Good luck to anyone that buys a Mazda

like to drive it overall, it's fast for a 4 cyl car! Turbo is fun

Replace brand of tires get some Michelin or Nitto it give a better ride.

Great Looking car - but beware of tires.
By Kara

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love how the car stands out - it's different than what everyone has. Really appreciate Mazda's design innovation. I considered myself a big advocate for the brand, however this will be my last...the past two Mazda's have required a tire replacement much to early. Two tires on my CX-7 (Touring model) are considered "dangerous" and two "suggested replacements". So at 20,000 miles, I'm paying over $900 for four new tires. Mazda will not take any responsibility even though they make the decision to use that tire. I have never had this issue with any vehicle - other than my two Mazdas. So if you go this route - make sure to bake in extra costs for this issue.

Exterior / Interior style.

Gas mileage leaves something to be desired, and as mentioned above, the tire "life" has made me extremely dissatisfied.

My Experience With my MazdaCX7 so for...
By Siva

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this CX7 2008 model around Jan 09. Got huge discount... I got 6k less than msrp. great deal. Considered crv rav4 outlander forester and then closed in on mazda cx7 for its style and performance. So far I have put 15k miles ..drives great so for. Drove my car from batonrouge la to los angeles ca close to 1800 miles and didn't feel a bit tired... drove (9-10 hrs) for three days and took two breaks at junction tx and wilcox az. the whole trip averaged close to 24 which I am happy. texas stretch I drove at 80mph and averaged 21.4. I am tech guy / contractor so I go to diff places and my mazda cx7 gives me good company. la to san jose @ 60 mph gv me 28mpg. great car overall.

Bose Stereo / Ample front seat space / comfort / power / exterior style / brakes / ride quality / great car over all. I made the right choice buying this car / something special.

miss the mp3 support in my 6 cd changer / missing aux port / door screws / nuts kind of rusted not sure if it is normal... worried the same kind of nuts would hv been used inside my car /Otherwise happy with my car... keep up the good work mazda