Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Cx-7 - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Fun car to drive but too many issues.
By colgezgini

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I will edit this review with details; in a nut shell, it is very fun to drive, good steering and suspension response on all kind of roads. It is agile and has road holding that is better than all of its rivals. Its brakes are also impressive and despite they are little difficult to dose, stopping distance is beautiful. I am 6'7" and I fit inside comfortably. Actually, I have a friend who owns an BMW X6 and a 2010 CX-7 and he likes dynamics of CX-7 more than X6. His words are "CX-7 is like extension of my body, obeys all my orders perfectly".

Suggested Improvements

Now the complaints: 1- Terrible consumption. I like playing with my toy a lot, so if push turbo, my mileage goes as low as 15 mpg. Highway driving, I average 21 mpg if I drive around <80mpg 2- Material selection for interior is also terrible. Shiny plastic is easy to scratch and steering wheel leather is completely torn in less than 5 years. Color of plastic components on the cars is also faded. I also had a white smoke coming from my car but the dealer replaced the components after little fight. I understand that is was a design error.

My 1st Mazda, lovin' the 2008 CX-7!
By JES

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After owning all American cars (Chryslers, Fords and one GM) since my beloved 1985 Honda Civic I purchased a 2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring after a recommendation from one of the dealerships I was shopping at. I had never even considered a Mazda before but I did about 4 days of crash research on everything Mazda I could find on the Net and test drove 3 different CX-7's before I made the purchase. After a week and a half of ownership I am in love with it. The drive, performance and look are second to none and I got a GREAT DEAL on it. So far I am very impressed and pleased with it, looking forward to doing a little customization on it! :-)

Favorite Features

Drive/Performance, Bose Stereo, Size & Shape of the outside, Grand Touring Options, Interior Cabin Room (more spacious than a Lexus RX 300 I test drove) and Dashboard Layout.

Suggested Improvements

A 2008 Vehicle should have Aux Ports on the OEM Radio by default and Auto Locking doors standard(goodness my 2001 Chrylser Sebring had that, WTH??) A bigger steering wheel (can I swap it out for the one on the CX-9?) and NAV should be standard on Grand Touring.

loove the cx7
By gary

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

love the cx7..the only problem is the tires only lasted 27,000 miles..everything else works perfect.. my wife loves the car..and i enjoy driving this suv...car has no problem running 100 mph and has more left in it...no complaints...only the tires... yes they are 18" and cost me 750.00 for a new set..

Favorite Features

bose stereo...wish it had i pod hook up...

Suggested Improvements

put better tires on it from the factory..add a boost gauge..and wish the seat went back more...

Loved it... and now hate it
By Mark

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I started off loving the CX-7 and after having it for over a year I now hate it sadly. The engine makes excellent power, could easily make more, but is held back by the automatic trans. When in auto mode its ok but manual mode is an absolute joke. It takes so long to shift that without perfect timing it would never give optimal acceleration. A manual version, which they do have overseas, would really wake it up. We've had some issues, biggest being the a/c failing. I've seen others have the same a/c issues and dealerships seem to not be covering them under warranty. It eats tires. I could go on much more but don't have enough room to type all that's wrong. Won't buy a new Mazda again.

Favorite Features

Engine, if you don't have problems with it, is decent. Heated seats. Xenon headlights, though Bi-Xenon would be better if properly made. Brakes are pretty good. Rear folding seats with quick release in rear. Front exterior styling. Good handling. Pretty good chassis, feels solid.

Suggested Improvements

Gauges (new ones much better). A/C colder and its issues. TCS. Needs manual trans or much faster shifting. Reliability. Tire issue. 255/55/18 tires stock. Fuel system runs too rich, 17.5 mpg on the interstate... seriously? Auto climate control is a joke, turns on a/c when on floor mode for one.

Value SUV
By Ed

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have owned the vehicle 18 months. Replaced the factor tires at 12K miles, and the AC compressor at 26K. Both very unacceptable, (AC was covered by warranty.) With that said, this vehicle represents the most car for the money in its segment. I have a Grand Touring with Navigation and paid less than 29K. Try and find anything for that price that drives like this car. It has plenty of room, drives and looks great, and it get's around 20 mpg. My lease ends this November and I will most likely buy this CX7 at lease end. If you drive this car, and compare it to it to other SUV's, you will buy it. Compare this to an Acura MDX and you will have an extra $10K to buy a few extra set of tires.

Favorite Features

Car great at highway speeds. Has great stereo, navigation, heated seats, HID headlights and sunroof. Looks awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Low end acceleration could be better. Original Equipment tires should last longer.