2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:
Turbo gone!!!!
By nichele on 08/01/13 07:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 2008 CX7 with almost 5k miles. I really enjoyed driving it....until the timing chain had to be replaced at at 40000 miles, which I thought was a little soon but it was covered. About a year ago, I had to have the engine mount replaced, some bearings were worn and there was an oil leak. That was not covered over $1000 worth of repairs. The CEL came on over the weekend. Took it to the dealer ,turbo engine done....timing chain again, The car needs almost 9000 dollars worth of repairs..are you kidding me!!! The service rep told me that I did good for having 95k miles on the car without anyhing major happening before now. Going to get rid of this car!!!

Engine Failure CX7 @ 70K miles
By ruby23 on 05/01/13 14:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a Certified CX7 2008. A year and a half later the car is completely giving out. We take MAJOR care of all our cars with Synthetic Oil, so when they told us it was due to "Sludge" it was definitely a slap in the face. The engine needs to be replaced at only 70k miles. We talked to a mechanic and he told us that the turbo overhearts the engine turning everything into sludge and even melting it. Although we have a platinum coverage, the insurance is doing everything they can to blame it on us. I've been looking at reviews and it seems ALOT of you are having or had the same issues! It's horrible to keep paying for a car whose engine dies of its own malfunction. Its time Mazda owns up!

Engine Failure
By mazdasrjunk on 04/04/13 15:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a 2008 CX 7 with 62,000 miles on it in April 2012 they replaced the vvt adjuster and chain at that point. It is now March 2013 and 14,000 miles later and the vvt is out again, the turbo is out and after a $3000 quote to repair it my dealer calls back and says "well we made the repairs to your car but it is going to need an engine". That is supposed to cost $6,000. No helpis being brought from Mazda the issue is being pushed to higher up in the world of Mazda. Needless to say Mazda has not impressed me. They are telling me this is caused by "sludge". But in the next breath my dealer tells me "sludge" is normal in this engine. I wonder how this will play out.

Mazda Builds CRAP!!!!!! Buyer Beware
By jimjaq1 on 03/20/13 06:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Mazda's design engineers have the heads in a very dark hole. The turbo charger they put in the vehicle does not lubricate itself and fails quickly. At 70K the timing belt has stretched and failed causing a complete rebuild of the engine (BTW, Mazda won't cover any of that, wait until you get to deal with their warranty people). Mazda has design a vehicle that is very noisy inside, bad visibility from anywhere inside the car, terrible air-conditioning, the car rides like a stage coach, and worst of all Mazda does not back its warranties and hides from its responsibilities concerning its products....buyer beware

Love my baby!!
By loveliladi on 01/09/13 05:35 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2008 CX7 in Oct 2012. 3 days after purchasing it I too had white smoke coming from the exhaust. I returned it to the dealership and they fixed it with no questions asked. Other than that, like everyone else, the gas consumption is a little low but it also depends on how you drive. If your always driving like a bat out of hell then of course your gas consumption will be less than someone takes their time or goes a slow, steady speed. The interion is comfortable (sometimes I feel like Im in a cockpit in a spaceship lol). The back is very roomy and everyone says they love it back there. This is my first SUV so I ma love, love, loving sitting higher. Great purchase so far.

Fun car to drive but too many issues.
By colgezgini on 01/04/13 16:40 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I will edit this review with details; in a nut shell, it is very fun to drive, good steering and suspension response on all kind of roads. It is agile and has road holding that is better than all of its rivals. Its brakes are also impressive and despite they are little difficult to dose, stopping distance is beautiful. I am 6'7" and I fit inside comfortably. Actually, I have a friend who owns an BMW X6 and a 2010 CX-7 and he likes dynamics of CX-7 more than X6. His words are "CX-7 is like extension of my body, obeys all my orders perfectly".

Owned for years, still love it
By lurking444 on 11/08/12 09:50 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2008 CX-7 new, in 2009. It was a "demo" model so I got a good deal. My car only has 25,000 miles on it so far (yeah, I don't drive it all the time). However, I do love the sporty feel, the moderately large cargo capacity, and the styling; it still looks cutting edge. I don't drive it much because my wife and I also own a diesel VW Jetta, which gets better than twice the mpg of the Mazda. I've averaged about 18.5mpg on the CX-7 in the years I've owned it. I love the sportiness of the vehicle, but you'll have to make a judgement about whether poor fuel economy is worth the love of the road/drive. I'm happy with my decision to buy this car.

Worst Car Ever
By 524dnx on 06/21/12 10:45 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been driving Hondas for 30 years. I purchased the Mazda 2 years ago. The turbo just went out and Mazda won't honior the warrantly because there is "sludge" in my engine. The Mazda dealership told me to replace the entire engine at a cost of $9000. I have 60,000 miles on it. Regular maintenance and use synthetic oil but since I did not have my oil changes done at the dealership the dealership won't cover it either. Also, I bought it used and did think to ask for copies of the oil changes from the previous owner and without those, I can't prove the oil was changed every 3,000 miles.

Great car with a few quirks
By dementedcx on 05/25/12 10:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought this car a little over a month ago, Traded a 2008 Scion TC for it cause our little family had grown by 1 more. Aside from the MPG's I have no real complaints about it. The brakes needed changed at less than 30K but i undertook that task myself & it has a slight vibration at 50-60mph that i'm still trying to track down. But it's an amazing car to own, it's fast & sporty. The older kids (6&8) absolutely love it, Just wish i had gotten one with more options.

DRIVING IT UNTIL IT DIES
By multi_cars on 03/27/12 05:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought it new on 12/31/2007 and have put on a little over 55,000 miles. Taken it to the dealer for service for oil changes and regular maintenance. Had a bearing start to go around 54,500 miles and they replaced it under warranty - NO charge. Great overall car. Grand Touring package (leather) makes it just as nice as a Lexus. Great Snow car (just change out the factory tires) Gas mileage ok - around 20-21 overall. Probably a great car to buy used as well as it has a LOT of features and is not a typical SUV box to drive around in.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.