Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Cx-7 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Let me tell you!!
By lykeisha

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I got this car with 18k miles on it and I initially loved it despite the premium gas and the gas mileage it was great. We took it on family trips from Ohio to Florida on 3 occasions. 60k noticed an oil leak-engine ouil cooler was defective-not covered under warranty but Mazda was aware that this was a known issue and was doing nothing about it. Cost-$600+. White smoke out the exhaust-Vent kit needed-known issue not covered. Cost-$700+. At now 98k all of a sudden rattling took it in low on oil by 4 quarts?? No oil light came on or service light came on?? A week later guess what same thing..and the engine is blown! Talk about Angry... I still owe on it and I am just going to junk it.

Favorite Features

Body, turbo, torque, and the driver seat adjustment!

Suggested Improvements

I had contacted Mazada when the engine oil cooler went out because the mazda dealer I got my car from said this is a known problem and they were not going to be making this model anymore because of all the issues. I asked if they were going to take some kind of responsibilty- Answer was-No! Even though I was still under warranty. Mazada needs to take responsibility by fixing the problem of charge or offering trade-in for another mazada and taking car of the remainder of the car loans people took out in an effort to buy this vehicle. The interior was always horrible from the ceiling to the carpet! Tires were too expensive. Pretty much done at 60k.

Turbo gone!!!!
By nichele

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 2008 CX7 with almost 5k miles. I really enjoyed driving it....until the timing chain had to be replaced at at 40000 miles, which I thought was a little soon but it was covered. About a year ago, I had to have the engine mount replaced, some bearings were worn and there was an oil leak. That was not covered over $1000 worth of repairs. The CEL came on over the weekend. Took it to the dealer ,turbo engine done....timing chain again, The car needs almost 9000 dollars worth of repairs..are you kidding me!!! The service rep told me that I did good for having 95k miles on the car without anyhing major happening before now. Going to get rid of this car!!!

Engine Failure CX7 @ 70K miles
By ruby23

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a Certified CX7 2008. A year and a half later the car is completely giving out. We take MAJOR care of all our cars with Synthetic Oil, so when they told us it was due to "Sludge" it was definitely a slap in the face. The engine needs to be replaced at only 70k miles. We talked to a mechanic and he told us that the turbo overhearts the engine turning everything into sludge and even melting it. Although we have a platinum coverage, the insurance is doing everything they can to blame it on us. I've been looking at reviews and it seems ALOT of you are having or had the same issues! It's horrible to keep paying for a car whose engine dies of its own malfunction. Its time Mazda owns up!

Favorite Features

None anymore!

Suggested Improvements

Improve your engines and remove the turbo, its over heating causing malfunctions and melting.

Engine Failure
By mazdasrjunk

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a 2008 CX 7 with 62,000 miles on it in April 2012 they replaced the vvt adjuster and chain at that point. It is now March 2013 and 14,000 miles later and the vvt is out again, the turbo is out and after a $3000 quote to repair it my dealer calls back and says "well we made the repairs to your car but it is going to need an engine". That is supposed to cost $6,000. No helpis being brought from Mazda the issue is being pushed to higher up in the world of Mazda. Needless to say Mazda has not impressed me. They are telling me this is caused by "sludge". But in the next breath my dealer tells me "sludge" is normal in this engine. I wonder how this will play out.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your engines so they last longer than 76,000 miles before needing replacement.

Mazda Builds CRAP!!!!!! Buyer Beware
By jimjaq1

2008 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Mazda's design engineers have the heads in a very dark hole. The turbo charger they put in the vehicle does not lubricate itself and fails quickly. At 70K the timing belt has stretched and failed causing a complete rebuild of the engine (BTW, Mazda won't cover any of that, wait until you get to deal with their warranty people). Mazda has design a vehicle that is very noisy inside, bad visibility from anywhere inside the car, terrible air-conditioning, the car rides like a stage coach, and worst of all Mazda does not back its warranties and hides from its responsibilities concerning its products....buyer beware

Favorite Features

There are NO redeeming features in this vehicle. Please buy a Toyota, or a Ford, but DO NOT invest your good money on a Mazda product, it would be throwing you money down a rat-hole

Suggested Improvements

The company should make bottle caps, it appears that's the extent of their mechanical and electrical prowess. PLEASE heed this review, you'll regret your decision, it's only a matter of miles.