2008 Mazda CX-7 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:
Engine Failure CX7 @ 70K miles
By ruby23 on 05/01/13 14:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a Certified CX7 2008. A year and a half later the car is completely giving out. We take MAJOR care of all our cars with Synthetic Oil, so when they told us it was due to "Sludge" it was definitely a slap in the face. The engine needs to be replaced at only 70k miles. We talked to a mechanic and he told us that the turbo overhearts the engine turning everything into sludge and even melting it. Although we have a platinum coverage, the insurance is doing everything they can to blame it on us. I've been looking at reviews and it seems ALOT of you are having or had the same issues! It's horrible to keep paying for a car whose engine dies of its own malfunction. Its time Mazda owns up!

Love my baby!!
By loveliladi on 01/09/13 05:35 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2008 CX7 in Oct 2012. 3 days after purchasing it I too had white smoke coming from the exhaust. I returned it to the dealership and they fixed it with no questions asked. Other than that, like everyone else, the gas consumption is a little low but it also depends on how you drive. If your always driving like a bat out of hell then of course your gas consumption will be less than someone takes their time or goes a slow, steady speed. The interion is comfortable (sometimes I feel like Im in a cockpit in a spaceship lol). The back is very roomy and everyone says they love it back there. This is my first SUV so I ma love, love, loving sitting higher. Great purchase so far.

My experience with CX7
By Liz on 08/30/10 07:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I'm currently leasing a Mazda CX-7 and for the most part its been fun to drive, I do have an issue with Mazda the quality of tires they are choosing is the lowest, and I say this because I'm in the tire business, I only got 12,00 miles with the original tires. This is very disappointing I went to the dealership and they don't want any part of this they direct you to Bridgestone even worse, its wear and tear and that is b%$%^%^%. I have bought and leased may other cars never had this problem. Yes it has 18' wheels but choose a better class tire "BRIDGESTONE TURANZA" is a low class tire and they know it. I have replaced my tires and the ride is more smoother. Good luck to anyone that buys a Mazda

Great Looking car - but beware of tires.
By Kara on 02/10/10 13:35 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love how the car stands out - it's different than what everyone has. Really appreciate Mazda's design innovation. I considered myself a big advocate for the brand, however this will be my last...the past two Mazda's have required a tire replacement much to early. Two tires on my CX-7 (Touring model) are considered "dangerous" and two "suggested replacements". So at 20,000 miles, I'm paying over $900 for four new tires. Mazda will not take any responsibility even though they make the decision to use that tire. I have never had this issue with any vehicle - other than my two Mazdas. So if you go this route - make sure to bake in extra costs for this issue.

My Experience With my MazdaCX7 so for...
By Siva on 12/12/09 22:31 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this CX7 2008 model around Jan 09. Got huge discount... I got 6k less than msrp. great deal. Considered crv rav4 outlander forester and then closed in on mazda cx7 for its style and performance. So far I have put 15k miles ..drives great so for. Drove my car from batonrouge la to los angeles ca close to 1800 miles and didn't feel a bit tired... drove (9-10 hrs) for three days and took two breaks at junction tx and wilcox az. the whole trip averaged close to 24 which I am happy. texas stretch I drove at 80mph and averaged 21.4. I am tech guy / contractor so I go to diff places and my mazda cx7 gives me good company. la to san jose @ 60 mph gv me 28mpg. great car overall.

engine problems
By wendy trotter on 10/14/09 05:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have not owned my CX7 Touring for quite a year yet, next week will be a year, have 10,000 miles on it. Blue smoke & black smoke pouring out from engine, turbo very noisy. Took it to dealership, they took it right in,problems with the turbo on this vehicle. Also poor fuel economy takes premium gas. Will not keep this vehicle once warranty is out.

Thank Goodness it's under warrenty!
By AMB on 07/31/09 12:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Yesterday was the second time in less than 2 weeks that the car broke down and I had it towed to the dealer. After about 2,000 miles I had to have the brakes replaced (the car shimmied with each application of the breaks). At 26,000 miles I was told by the service manager that I should replace my tires. No one at the dealership seemed to think this was outrageous. Last week, the air compressor quit and a belt broke. It took the dealer 4 days to repair. Yesterday, I heard a clunk, my battery light went on, then the car quit. I have 28,400 miles on the car. This is a lease vehicle. When I turn the car in 12/2009, I am done with Mazda!

Safe and strong, but frail.
By FreshSmile on 05/07/09 05:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Enjoyable to drive. We keep meticulous records and do mostly hwy, around 26mph but down to 16 in the city. Poor rear visibility. Paint is very fragile; hairlike scratches seem to appear spontaneously and are now everywhere (even when we've never taken the car to a cloth wash, only touchless). Interior floor covering is very thin and frail. Windshield washer tank is too small for a Michigan winter 50m commute. One year left on a 3-yr lease. Wont keep the car bc it will require too much attention. It did handle 2 winters and a couple of storms safely. Traction control works very well. Like most new cars, factory installed tires don't last long. 25K on this car will be max.

Questioning the purchase.
By cindy on 03/07/09 04:31 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We just bought this car 2 days ago. We drove quite a few cars and liked how this one took off (on premium gas)! Ultimately chose this one because of the great deal we got. We're mostly pleased with it. What's up with the headlights? (We didn't drive the car after dark until after we'd brought it home.) There's a "line" across your field of vision which "divides" light and dark. It's not as obvious with high beam. Dealer service guy says it's normal. It's very annoying. Seats could be a little more comfortable. Quieter ride would be nice. Better gas mileage, too. Everything else about the car we're happy.

My Journey's ...my CX7
By greg on 01/22/09 14:28 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My CX7 has it all! It's loaded! Mazda makes an excellent product! Only 2 suggestions. Automatic interior door lock; and change tire contract with supplier. Bridgestone tires are less then adequate. I am on my second set of Bridgestone tires at 16,000 miles. At this time my second set of Bridgestone tires is creating the tire indicator lamp to remain on my instrument cluster...roughly 17,000miles. Please change tire supplier. I am a city driver 135 per day, to and from work, maybe market, or resturant added. In all the vechicle is excelent.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.