2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Mazda Builds CRAP!!!!!! Buyer Beware
By jimjaq1

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Mazda's design engineers have the heads in a very dark hole. The turbo charger they put in the vehicle does not lubricate itself and fails quickly. At 70K the timing belt has stretched and failed causing a complete rebuild of the engine (BTW, Mazda won't cover any of that, wait until you get to deal with their warranty people). Mazda has design a vehicle that is very noisy inside, bad visibility from anywhere inside the car, terrible air-conditioning, the car rides like a stage coach, and worst of all Mazda does not back its warranties and hides from its responsibilities concerning its products....buyer beware

Favorite Features

There are NO redeeming features in this vehicle. Please buy a Toyota, or a Ford, but DO NOT invest your good money on a Mazda product, it would be throwing you money down a rat-hole

Suggested Improvements

The company should make bottle caps, it appears that's the extent of their mechanical and electrical prowess. PLEASE heed this review, you'll regret your decision, it's only a matter of miles.

Worst Car Ever
By 524dnx

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been driving Hondas for 30 years. I purchased the Mazda 2 years ago. The turbo just went out and Mazda won't honior the warrantly because there is "sludge" in my engine. The Mazda dealership told me to replace the entire engine at a cost of $9000. I have 60,000 miles on it. Regular maintenance and use synthetic oil but since I did not have my oil changes done at the dealership the dealership won't cover it either. Also, I bought it used and did think to ask for copies of the oil changes from the previous owner and without those, I can't prove the oil was changed every 3,000 miles.

Sophisticated and Spunky
By rpleb35

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought a used 08 CX7 about a month ago with only 25,000 miles on it. After looking at many crossovers, I never considered the CX7 because I didnt know they existed. After seeing this on the lot, I fell in love with it. This is my first ever foreign car and although I was torn about buying foreign, I couldnt be more happier with this vehicle. It has the power of any full size SUV out there. I am getting about 20 miles combined to the gallon. This isnt that great but I knew that going in. The car is well built and it is so much fun to drive. Although I bought primarily for my wife to drive, I find myself using it whenever I can. This is a vehicle that I will keep for a long long time.

Favorite Features

Amount of power for a 4 cylinder. The exterior design is sporty and shows muscle.

Suggested Improvements

Its minor but I wish there was a outside temperature gauge on the dash. After owning vehicles with one, I do miss it.

Average at Best
By Steve Bylinowski

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I leased this car in early 2008. I got a good lease deal with no money down but the car didn't perform in the winter. If you live in area where it snows, forget it! I couldn't get up the small hill outside of my house! Everything else about the car is average, not terrible, not great. Also, they nickel and dime you when you turn it back in, beware. I would not get another Mazda.

Favorite Features

Nice to look at

Suggested Improvements

Better winter performance!

Not bad for the price
By Granny

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Tires are shot at 24K. Car driven by a little old granny in town and have had a number of long highway trips and am guessing highway mileage is close to 13k of the 24K. Plenty quick. Bought entirely on looks and cheap 2 year lease.

Favorite Features

Quickness and fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Automatic lights would be nice, better tires, ac seems to be a little slow cooling down, cut down on the noise, gas mileage is skinny for 4 cyl. I get 24-25 on the highway at a steady 70 mph

2nd rating of 2008 CX7
By Marlo

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my second rating of this vehicle and not much has changed. I purchased the 2008 CX7 Sport December 2007 and it came with some options. It currently has 45k miles and I drive it alot. I haven't experienced any major problems with the vehicle. The CEL came on once about 6 months after purchase. The light came on again last week but it keeps coming on/going off. I replaced the tires around 36k miles. My complaint about this vehicle remains the same - the stiff suspension. I don't have any additional complaints to add and the vehicle suits my needs. Considering my experience with the vehicle so far (and if the ride wasn't so stiff,) I would probably purchase it again

Favorite Features

The back up camera comes in handy; kept the Sirius radio subscription; it handles great, fun to drive; remote start; Bose system, love the exterior look.

Suggested Improvements

Nav system is just ok, no light on vanity mirrors; carpet, gas mileage could be better, and last but not least, the stiff suspension.

2008 Mazda CX7 Review.
By Edward D'Eustachio

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great mid-size SUV. Handling above average but could be better. Fuel economy not good. Plenty of power. Would love to see this model in a hybrid. Would love to have been able to purchase the sun roof as a stand alone option.

Favorite Features

Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Hybrid engine. Tighter more responsive suspension.

Wish I knew about the tire situation.
By beachybum76

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Well I have had my car for a little over a year. I really love my car but I am having to replace my tires already. FYI- the warranty on tires for new cars is for only a year after that its your problem. And then there is the gas problem. Can you say wow? If you have money to spend on gas, then this car is for you. Other than that I love my car.

Favorite Features

Moon roof, ruggedness for my kids, how it is very sporty looking but sleek at the same time.

Suggested Improvements

Better warranty on the tires that are installed on new tires and then there is the gas mileage thing!

dissatisfied
By disappointed

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Air compressor locked up at 18000 miles and burned the drive belt up. Gas mileage stinks, don't let the dealership lie about the fuel, you HAVE to use premium gas or it lugs and shifts like crap.

Favorite Features

handling

Suggested Improvements

reliability,gas mileage and road noise.

I love my Mazda CX-7
By hunt5368

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car after an accident in my Nissan Murano. The turbo 4-cylinder engine is surprisingly quick and there is no roll when taking turns. I only wish there were more cubbies for the driver. Its roomy enough to take family trips and compact enough for your daily errands. I would definitely recommend the CX-7.

Favorite Features

exterior style, interior colors, turbo, gauge cluster style, large cargo area, averaging 23/25 mpg

Suggested Improvements

more cubbies around the driver