Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Most Helpful|
Worst Car Ever
By 524dnx

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been driving Hondas for 30 years. I purchased the Mazda 2 years ago. The turbo just went out and Mazda won't honior the warrantly because there is "sludge" in my engine. The Mazda dealership told me to replace the entire engine at a cost of $9000. I have 60,000 miles on it. Regular maintenance and use synthetic oil but since I did not have my oil changes done at the dealership the dealership won't cover it either. Also, I bought it used and did think to ask for copies of the oil changes from the previous owner and without those, I can't prove the oil was changed every 3,000 miles.

Mazda Builds CRAP!!!!!! Buyer Beware
By jimjaq1

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Mazda's design engineers have the heads in a very dark hole. The turbo charger they put in the vehicle does not lubricate itself and fails quickly. At 70K the timing belt has stretched and failed causing a complete rebuild of the engine (BTW, Mazda won't cover any of that, wait until you get to deal with their warranty people). Mazda has design a vehicle that is very noisy inside, bad visibility from anywhere inside the car, terrible air-conditioning, the car rides like a stage coach, and worst of all Mazda does not back its warranties and hides from its responsibilities concerning its products....buyer beware

Favorite Features

There are NO redeeming features in this vehicle. Please buy a Toyota, or a Ford, but DO NOT invest your good money on a Mazda product, it would be throwing you money down a rat-hole

Suggested Improvements

The company should make bottle caps, it appears that's the extent of their mechanical and electrical prowess. PLEASE heed this review, you'll regret your decision, it's only a matter of miles.

Engine Failure CX7 @ 70K miles
By ruby23

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a Certified CX7 2008. A year and a half later the car is completely giving out. We take MAJOR care of all our cars with Synthetic Oil, so when they told us it was due to "Sludge" it was definitely a slap in the face. The engine needs to be replaced at only 70k miles. We talked to a mechanic and he told us that the turbo overhearts the engine turning everything into sludge and even melting it. Although we have a platinum coverage, the insurance is doing everything they can to blame it on us. I've been looking at reviews and it seems ALOT of you are having or had the same issues! It's horrible to keep paying for a car whose engine dies of its own malfunction. Its time Mazda owns up!

Favorite Features

None anymore!

Suggested Improvements

Improve your engines and remove the turbo, its over heating causing malfunctions and melting.

very disappointed
By Angela

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had the suv for a year and half I have had to take it in 3 times bought it brand new I am very disappointed. I think when you buy a brand new vehicle it should work. I will NEVER buy a Mazda again and if you are thinking about purchasing this vehicle Please Think Twice cause it has been a nightmare for our family.I wish they would take it back.

Favorite Features

The outside of this vehicle looks great but the inside was made poorly.

Suggested Improvements

Make a vehicle that you do not have to bring in for at least 4 years after purchasing it brand new. I have a 99 ford expedition that i have never had to take in for anything even to this day. I will be sticking to American made vehicles from now on.

Fell in love....now HATE
By jerseygirl

2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This was my second car ever and I was completely in love until the cars issues began! It killed me to see this car break so much because it was my baby. Turbo went twice, tires had to be changed at 20000 miles, navigation only works when it wants to, the engine ticks VERY loudly, squeaks like a 30 year old car, battery just went due to bad starter (still fighting dealership over that), the gas mileage is terrible!,the paint scratches very easily, and the abs has failed more then once. This car could be a awesome car if they fixed the problems! I loved it so much when I bought it!

Favorite Features

the headlights are wonderful, the sound system (Bose) is amazing, style is the best in its class

Suggested Improvements

no turbo OR bigger engine, better gas mileage, navigation updated (w/ bluetooth and ipod hookups), better stock tires, engine problems fixed, better paint used, all the other problems too!