VVT Timing Chain Issue?
By houstongfamily on
2007 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I was driving my Mazda CX-7 on the highway at 65 mph when my car made a loud noise from the engine and had a loss in power. I towed the car to a Mazda dealer where the technician that inspected my car stated the timing chain was missing a pin and caused the engine to break. Therefore my engine needed to be replaced. I replaced my engine at 72K miles which is slightly over the 70K mile service notice that Mazda recently put out for reimbursement from repairs related to the VVT Timing Chain. I hired a lawyer to pursue reimbursement of my engine replacement cost and would like to know if there are more cases of engine failure or repairs around/above 70K miles due to the timing chain.
By turbogirl2
on 05/04/12 19:35 PM (PDT)

I so hope Mazda does right by you. Thanks to your review, I must be one of 100s of smart people (thanks to you) who will NOT buy a Mazda of any kind if they don't make this right for you. So unacceptable. May something great happen for you regardless and may Mazda have their appropriate CARMA (karma ... ha ha)!!!!

By amy52371
on 06/14/12 11:08 AM (PDT)

Hi Houstongfamily- I too have suffered with the same issue as you. I was headed down a country road to a wedding when the car had almost a heart attack and the engine completely shut down. I walked in high heels till some landscape guys took pity on me and dropped me off at the church. I have 73K on my vehicle and I was going about 60 MPH. I called & had the car towed to my house. My father is a car guy and took it home and called Mazda. They told me we had to tow it to the dealership, spend $115 to get it diagnosed and then they would see if they would do anything for us. When it got to the dealership they told us it would be $415 for a diagnosis as they had to disassemble the engine. The Mazda guy over the phone was horrible. He expected us to spend $415.00 to diagnose the problem that Mazda may or may not pay for. He told me that they really don't have to do anything because I am out of warranty. This was after they made me jump through the hoop of tracking down EVERY SINGLE OIL CHANGE I have ever had and email it to them. The Mazda guy over the phone said that Mazda most likely wouldn't help me or maybe pay a partial cost depending on what it was. Bottom line, it got towed back home and my Dad disassembled the engine to find the cam pin broke off the engine and needed to be replaced. The Mazda guy would not admit to this being a problem but magically could tell me it would be over $2,000 at least to reapir. Strange, they did even have my $415 diagnosis money to be able to tell me that. Bottom line, I told them I have a liftime of buying vehicles and it will never again be a Mazda. If anyone hears about a class action lawsuit, I am in! PS- why did you need an entire new engine???!!!

By bmac16102
on 08/06/12 19:41 PM (PDT)

I wish I would have checked into Mazda before I bought my 2007 CX 7. I always thought Mazda was a dependable and reliable vehicle. I bought mine in April. When we bought it the dealership (Kenny Ross) Zelienople PA. said if we bought the extended warranty ($2500) they would cover the chattering noise, which they said was the turbo. Needless to say, when we took it in, they said we neglected changing the oil and if we didn't have proof the oil was changed, they weren't covering it because there was nothing wrong with the turbo, it was the timing chain. Very disappointed with Mazda and frustrated with dealership for knowing, lying, and not taking care of the issue. People wonder why people have bad credit. You think your getting a dependable car with decent mileage (75,000) paying $400 a month because of bad credit and then they screw you even more. Hopefully there will be some kind of class action suit!!!! Mazda needs to stand behind their cars!!!!!

By pctech
on 09/08/12 08:55 AM (PDT)

I'll keep this short - much of it has already been said. Timing chain failed at about 80K miles. Trucked to dealer, who has been the ONLY one to touch the car since day 1. ALL maintenance done as or before scheduled. Dealer says car needs remanufactured engine at $6400.00. Requested assistance from Mazda due to known issue - answer was to offer $1700 towards a NEW Mazda (Are they kidding? Why would I want another one?), so I said forget it. Trucked to a local shop who will do the same work for almost $2000 less and give me twice the warranty (2yr/24K miles). Class action? You bet I'm interested!

By apmadatmazda
on 09/06/12 19:11 PM (PDT)

I am very upset and unhappy with my Mazda CX7 2010 1st problem was a blown turbo which Mazda didn't want to accept as their problem due to insufficent oil change but after repeated phone calls and factory rep inspecting defect at dealership they finally accepted responsibility.I change my oil at 3500 to 5000 miles almost every other month with synthetic penzoil and had receipts.This was at 35000 miles which I drove in 1 year. Then I get a letter in the mail this past Jan.that there may be a problem with the VVT/Timing Chain to bring the car in and have checked for $185.00. I have had many cars over the past 45 yrs of driving and know when the valves are ticking at hat time i had approx 70,000 miles which Mazda had extended the warrenty to. i called Mazda and advised I could not drive due to replacement shoulder surgery and the car wasn't making any noise. Now 7 months later and 14000 more miles the VVT and timing chain are blown.My mechanic wants $1050.00 fix. I called Mazda again today and they refuse to do anything for me due to the mileage. Why when they know they have a possible defect and send out notices extending the warrenty due they refuse to help a customer.These are 2 major defects, maybe that is why they are discontinuing the CX7 and I will NEVER buy another Mazda product nor recommend Mazda to anyone. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM has met its DOOM. APMADATMAZDA