2007 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Review: Great Little Whip

2007 Mazda CX-7 - Consumer Review

Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Automatic)

Great Little Whip
By Greg Dorsey on

2007 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I took delivery only two weeks ago, so this review may be a bit premature. But I'm really happy with the car so far. I test drove all the vehicles in its class before deciding on the CX-7. It's clearly designed to take on the Nissan Murano and does so with panache. I'm a big Nissan fan (my other car is a Maxima and the CX-7 replaced a Pathfinder). I was impressed with how the CX-7 stacked up against the Murano in every possible way--for several thousand dollars less on a comparably equipped car. The CX-7 lives up to its "zoom zoom" billing.

Power and handling are excellent. You need to keep your eye on the speedometer: It's easy to find yourself doing 85-90 mph on the highway as the engine hasn't begun to break a sweat at that point. Steering on twisting country roads is impressive, as is the car's stopping ability.

Better interior materials could have been used. To keep costs down Mazda cut corners when it came to the car's interior finish. The inside is hard to keep clean, including the leather seats, piano finish on the dash, the doors and especially the carpeting. I'd also recommend getting mud flaps.