Used 2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Nice Vehicle But Some Issues
By Ironton215

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my first Mazda. I purchased it because it is a very nice looking vehicle and it fits my family, which includes three in car seats. After purchasing the CX-7 I noticed several things that have slightly reduced my opinion of the vehicle. The fuel economy is not very good and premium fuel is required. From the interior the engine noise and heat is very noticible. The transmission shifts oddly back and forth between fifth and sixth gear at times. Suspension is very stiff. Turbo lag. Many "nice to haves" missing - no bluetooth, no navigation software support between Mazda and Navteq, no extra functions such as MPG in the display, no iPod ability with nav. sys., etc. A-pillar blind spot!!

Favorite Features

Vehicle exterior looks. Vehicle interior looks - with the exception of everything being plastic.

Suggested Improvements

Increase fuel economy. Reduce engine heat and noise inside vehicle. Find a way to greatly reduce the blind spot created by the A-pillar. Add/offer bluetooth. Don't refer owners to Navteq for navigation software support - they do not support the CX-7 at this time! iPod adapter with Nav system?!?!

Sorry I brought a Mazda
By Kim

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Since I had this car its been in the shop about 7 times already included the recall. The biggest problem was the replacing the Turbo Charger it has excessive wichage through its internal seal. This is a brand new car. Remember I only had this car for 9months.My first car was a Mazda Triubet truck. This is my first brand new car. I didn't want to go back o a use automotive. I problemly shoud had went to a use one. Now owning thi car I don't fill proud about my new car I fill hurt.

Favorite Features

The color. Its a Black Cherry. When I'm out driving it I get great reviewabout the car. Everyone love thecolor. I can be at thetop light people tell me how they like the car.

Suggested Improvements

Making sure that you getting a brand newc ar that customer is not test driving.And you get that car peopl had test drov. Dealer ship need to have separted cars for people to test drive. Not the one cutomer have to buy. That how I got a BOOM- BOOM -Not a Zoom Zoom.

Great Handling SUV
By D K Stewart

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is the best handling SUV that you can buy. In fact it handles much better than most cars. For example it handles better than an Acura TSX. We average over 21 MPG in town that includes some freeway driving. We have taken one trip--over 1000 miles and we averaged 25 MPG. Even though the engine is not a smooth and quiet as a V/6, it performs better that any of the V/6's that we drove. We found that the handling on most Toyota SUVs was very sloppy and while the Acura MDX did handle and drive well, The CX-7 looks so much better and costs about $10,000 less(I'm talking about what you can actually buy one for). The Acura is nicer inside but the build quality on the CX-9 is just as good.

Favorite Features

The factory 18 inch wheels look better than any of the competitors. They complement an already great looking car.

Suggested Improvements

The manual selection is the opposite of most other auto - manuels.

Update to orig post of 3/19, added info
By Jim

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Update to my orig post. After nearly a year of ownership, I still love my CX7! I've had it all over So.Cal from Yosemite to Mammoth to Big Bear. All my original impressions remain. The AWD works well in snow and rain and the combination of traction control and the excellent ABS brakes provide plenty of security on iffy roads. My only complaint is still that of fuel mileage. I am averaging 15.5mpg around town but on a long trip to Tahoe I managed 22mpg @ avg speed of 75mph. Very respectable. The turbo shines on mountain roads, lotsa scoot! It is important to note whether you have the AWD or FWD model, I suspect that has a lot to do with the large delta in mileage reported here.

Favorite Features

Ext & Int Design. Solid Build. Turbo scoot with taut, communicative handling. Confidence inspiring grip of AWD, TC and world class brakes! Tech package a terrific addition if you can swing it. Keyless ignition, adjustable Xenon headlamps a nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

iPod connectivity should be standard on the Tech Package. Premium fuel requirement still a bummer (especially in So.Cal @ nearly $4/gal!) Getting used to V8 like mileage but a re-tune of the turbo to drink regular unleaded would be nice. Otherwise lets see the 280hp of the MS6 version!

first car
By Susan Samhoury

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

From the outside it is beatiful. The inside is not bad. When driving on the highway its smooth but if you drive slow it makes a ticking noise, drives me crazy.I asked the dealer and was told that its normal.He explained why but I still think it should run smoother.I can't wait until I can exchange it. I am not so happy with it even though this is the first time a buy a new car. I think the noise should be a lot smoother than it is. I took to the dealer and I had them listen to it and they said it was normal.

Favorite Features

The outside of the car and the color. I have the light blue. Once you are on the highway it runs very smooth.

Suggested Improvements

The speed meter should be in 5s instead of 10s meaning 50, 55, 60, not 50, 60 etc. A temperature meter. Basically if its not upgraded its not worth the price it is.