2007 Mazda CX-7 Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

The Best Sport ZOOM ZOOM SUV
By galmanza

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have it for almost 7 months, and it just work perfectly, until now i didnt found any problem, i just came back from a trip to Las Vegas and the CX-7 was perfect on the road! Gas millage was better than the last time when we do the same thip but in a Ford Edge... we save a lot of money on gas this time! Exellente build quality, exterior and interior design, it just look great! Great Bose sound sytem, sunroof, the CX-7 just run like if you have a sporty car with it 4 cilender turbocharge! In my opinion MAZDA has better quality, realability and designs that Honda and Toyota.

Favorite Features

Designe, ouside and interior. The turbocharge, it just run like a sporty car, you know ZOOM ZOOM

cx-7 lemon
By ralphculver

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The CX-7 is a beautiful and enticing car, especially with all the zoom zoom hipe by Mazda. We have owned the car for over 5 years and have had a series of problems each year. Recently they sent a letter indicating the Air Conditioning compressor might freeze up and need to be replaced. They extended the coverage to 5 years. We had no issue of this failure but delt with tons of other issues. Today the car stopped and left me stranded. The compressor did freeze and the result also ripped out the serpintine belt. I am done with this car and dealing with Mazda, as they said too bad your out of warranty. They knew this was defective and put us in a dangerous position. Shame on MAZDA. DON'T BUY 1.

Favorite Features

Their total lack of compasion and lies about the quality of the car and service.

Suggested Improvements

Develope a Consumer Relations department and actually hire some talent.

VVT Timing Chain Issue?
By houstongfamily

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was driving my Mazda CX-7 on the highway at 65 mph when my car made a loud noise from the engine and had a loss in power. I towed the car to a Mazda dealer where the technician that inspected my car stated the timing chain was missing a pin and caused the engine to break. Therefore my engine needed to be replaced. I replaced my engine at 72K miles which is slightly over the 70K mile service notice that Mazda recently put out for reimbursement from repairs related to the VVT Timing Chain. I hired a lawyer to pursue reimbursement of my engine replacement cost and would like to know if there are more cases of engine failure or repairs around/above 70K miles due to the timing chain.

Mazda is not helping!!
By ebricha

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've purchased my 07' mazda new, the last few months I've notice a noise coming from my car, my car was sounding loud, had it looked at and more than one person said they didnt hear anything,I have only 59,000 miles on my car. but I knew something was wrong. now come to find out its the VVT after it was inspected by Mazda dealers they also said my bad VVT has caused the timing chain to stretch, and I shouldnt be driving my car. BUT get this they're not going to fix it!! Not until I produce ALL my oil change receipt. Thats almost five years. I dont get it if they know the parts bad, then they should fix it. Plus what about the timing belt? I dont know what to do!!

DESIGN FLAW WITH ENGINE
By nicho1

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

VVT, TURBO CHARGER, TIMING CHASITY AND AC have been replaced 2 times since 2008. do not waste your money or time on this vehicle regardless of how fun it is to drive

Suggested Improvements

engine flaw. 4 cylinder with 2.3L turbo is terrible

Some good advise to current owners
By wlu

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Here is my advise to those who still own a 2007 CX7. 1. Pay the $600 (or so) and have a mechanic open engine to clean any sludge that may have accumulated over the years. Make sure they check over the timing chain and VVT actuator. 2. Don't follow Mazda's service plan, perform oil changes every 3000 miles. My Mazda dealer switched to 5w-20 (instead of 5w-30) because it is more durable with the turbo. You might want to do the same. I loved the performance of the car the short 2 years I had it. Build quality is ridiculously cheap! Parts are crazy expensive! I traded our CX7 in yesterday for our first Ford (always owned Mazda until now). I wish you all good luck with this car.

Favorite Features

The looks! This car is beautiful. I got compliments all the time! The speed the turbo provides. This car can move! The handling is awesome. Felt more like a sports car than a CUV.

Suggested Improvements

Why would Mazda create a car that requires premium gas!?!? Suspension and seats were far from comfortable. Long drives really did a number on our backs and butts. Road noise at high speeds (60 mph) is very loud! Interior was very cheap looking and plasticky (I believe they changed it in the 2010 model). Build quality was lacking. Tires went at 30,000 miles ($700). Rear bearing went at 39,000 miles ($370). A/C compressor went at 44,000 miles (covered by Mazda- they extended the warranty on this part to 60,000 miles- should have been a recall).

Not too many issues...
By rmcclimond

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my car in 2007, with 6 mile on the odometer. Had only a couple of issues until now. My husband was driving the car, had to break hard, then as accelerating, between 3rd and 4th, heard a loud boom, pulled over to check. Didn't see anything, now the vehicle won't engage when put into reverse. Guess we'll hit the mechanic on Monday.

Doom, Doom, Doom! Please Do not buy a Mazda!
By mazdausasux

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am one of the many 2007 Mazda cx-7 owners who has serviced my vehicle according to the manual. The turbo, drive chain, and A/C failed...Mazda USA claims that sludge caused the failure. Mazda will not honor their warranty. I have every receipt for service. The dealer is supporting my claim that I have maintained the vehicle but Mazda USA will not stand behind their product. Mazda USA even went as far as to insinuate that I may have paid for oil changes that were never performed. Would one of America's largest retailer do this??? I think Mazda has a long history of oil related issues and will do and say anything to avoid doing what's right. DO NOT BUY A MAZDA!

Never again-Mazda worst company ever
By annoyed

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought the CX7 used at 36k miles, had a car fax run with no previous damage. Now it has 54k miles and is sitting in the driveway because the engine AND turbo are shot. Although I have every maintenance record possible, warranty wont cover it because they claim it was not maintained but I have EVERY record! Car is only worth maybe $12k now and the damage is $9K. It has been inoperable for over 6 months and will stay that way as I have had to hire an attorney. Mazda North American you have made a terrible car. Stop screwing over consumers and deal with this recurring issue. Do not buy this car. I'm warning each and every person reading this.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the fact that I never have to drive this thing ever again.

Suggested Improvements

Everything. Actually. Mazda should just do away with the car altogether. Read the rest of the consumer reports-awful car. Awful experience. Never again!

Buyer Beware
By Buyer Beware

2007 Mazda CX-7 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This crossover is fun to drive, that's it. Mechanical problems. It requires premium fuel and the gas mileage is about 16-17 city miles. Only gets about 275-300 miles per 18 gallon tank.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive