2015 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Push button start and some safety risk
By kamal

2015 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have this SUV since April. It's a great ride and I do not want to add more to what most already mentioned. I would like to mention a huge safety issue with the key less entry. The key will disable the "start" feature itself if you are inside the car with the key and someone exiting the vehicle presses the outside lock button. This is ridiculous and unsafe especially if I am traveling. You will need someone bring the 2nd key or dealer need to reprogram it. There are vehicles push button start features which will prevent the doors from locking if the key is inside. Mazda says system disables keys in order to prevent theft! I do not buy this excuse. I rather have a locked key inside that I can have a locksmith open it and I can be on my way instead of a dealer's costly reprogramming (in case you were traveling with both keys and they became disabled). Imagine getting stuck with a disabled key in the middle of the woods or a snowy road!

A great car ruined by transmission mapping
By John Zuanich

2015 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is a decent car that could be a great car with better transmission mapping and an additional transmission gear or two. I own the larger 2.5L engine with the 6-speed automatic transmission. I live on a hill, but most of my driving is down on fairy flat terrain. The transmission mapping is definitely part of the Skyactive technology, designed to shift to the highest possible gear as soon as is practical. More often than not this isn't a problem--until you begin driving up a hill, where it has a constant tendency to lug. The transmission is reluctant to down shift without feeding it a significant amounts of throttle. Then it downshifts and races up the hill, making it difficult to drive up a hill smoothly. More often than not, I'm forced to shift manually whenever I'm driving up the hill, inorder to be in total control of shift points. Most of the other cars I've owned with automatic transmissions seen to sense when you begin driving up a hill and seem to downshift much more inuitively (more quickly and with less throttle application) and smoothly. The transmission is adaptive, meaning it adapts to your driving style over time. I drive very moderalty most of the time, so I don't mind the hunt for the highest gear, as that strategy generally improves fuel economy. But drive it loaded up a hill and any hint of a "performance" vehicle flies right out the door. Additionally, gear spacing between 32 and 40 miles per hour is way to broad. This car would definitely benefit from one or two additional gears in this important speed range. I've owned many cars with automatic transmissions, and this is by far the worst transmission mapping I've noticed. The key is "noticed." When transmission mapping is done well, you don't notice it because the transmission always seems to be in the correct great. In the CX-5, even with the larger engine, the poor mapping is always noticed driving up a hill. It's really a shame, because all other aspects of this vehicle are really good. Steering and brake feel are outstanding, and this car really is fun to drive--over flat terrain. Enter a hill, and entire package falls apart due to the transmission.

2014 CX5 2.5 Touring
By pmacx5

2015 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Its been 2 yrs/ 20K miles and it still deliveries the fun to drive with perfect Reliability. I service my cx5 at the dealer. first service @5k $40, second @10K free, third@15K $55, fourth@20K $60. Owning a Lexus, BMW, and Nissan, we seem to drive the CX5 everywhere. Avg., MPGs when new was at 23-24, mix driving - after we hit 4-5K we avg., 27mpg. On trips 300+ miles on cruise control holding 70mph we avg., 31mpg. I have a BMW 42K price tag and the Mazda matches the steering & Balance character of it. We have been very Happy with the Cx5. If I had any CONS: it would be the the bluetooth, its quirky & it needs a little sound deadening padding like Lexus. other than that, Its a great buy

"Balance/Layout/Drivers Feed Back" After Driving my other Pricer cars, BMW/Lexus, Driving the CX5 does not disappoint. I love how Mazda gets it right with the up shifts, pull back, Down Shifts - Push Up - Radio controls on the steering wheel on the Left not on the right. Small Details, but any real car enthusiast will under stand that. BMW, Porsche Audi Etc get it, Honda, Toyota Nissan ETC don't. Again small details - but that is what makes it stand out different from the Competitors.

What they need to learn from Lexus/ sound deadening. I under stand Mazda is about making light weight fun to drive cars, but in this area, Mazda takes very small steps on sound deadening.??? Very small cons, But my number one CON would be DEALER Support. Mazda Dealers, well in California/LA are Small and second hand. Again, just my Opinion.

Great vehicle, love to drive it.
By dereksmith

2015 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have bought and driven a Mazda CX5 Sport with AWD and the 2.5L engine. I really love to drive this vehicle. I have put on about 6000 miles and driven through all kinds of conditions, on a long trip and daily use. I am in awe of how great this vehicle is. I have the Sport model with AWD and the 2.5L engine. Honestly, it is all the power I want. Whether it is on the freeway or off a stop light, it can move and accelerate at any time. The CX5 handles like a dream, looks great, rides comfortable. Whenever I have popped the back seat down and loaded it with stuff on a number of occasions and it worked great and was impressed on how much could be loaded in.

I like the acceleration, I feel pushed back in my seat a little and feel like there is more power if needed. I like how the doors auto lock when going 12 miles an hour, but if you stop, you or your passenger can open the door without needing to press unlock. When you shut off the car, all doors unlock. I like the little slide out on the sun visor that allows you to block the sun when it's in a location that a normal sun visor wouldn't block. I like the blue metal flake paint. It catches the sun and looks great. The paint catches my eye and I really admire the design of the vehicle, after buying it new, I have only felt fortunate to be the owner.

There is a "3 blink" tap turn signal feature that is not user controllable on the Sport model. It would help if there was a way this could be manipulated to 4 blinks or turned off by the Sport model driver. (I have read that this feature could be turned off on Sport models at the dealer - but the number of blinks cannot be changed.) I would also consider turning the "3 blinks" feature off because sometimes when manually turning off my "full" blinker, it bumps the other way and starts blinking 3 times in the opposite direction.

Not very happy
By mikyd1

2015 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the 2015 Mazda cx5 because saw reviews and knew Mazda from the past. I am not very happy, sitting space is absurdly small I am 6' 0 And almost don't fit in the copilot seat, the back seats are too small, no space very uncomfortable, the radio is cheap, the air conditioning is very weak, with 80* takes 20 minutes to cool the space, not cold enough, the car is brand new so Why in the world will not cool down, not a good ac system. If I could go back in time, I would NOT buy the Mazda cx5, consumes too much gas, the rear seats are too small and basic

Design on the outside

More space for legs the front seats do not move back for tall people The radio system has to be modern uses 90s technology Seats too short for long legs Space for copilot is too small made for short people Gas consumption too high mazda is lying on the epa