2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Review: Way More Than I Expected!

2014 Mazda CX-5 - Consumer Review

Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 6-speed Automatic)

Way More Than I Expected!
By kaedens on

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I was coming off owning a '98 Ford Explorer and owning a 2004 Honda S2000 as my 'fun' car. Took the Explorer in for a funny noise, got a $3,800 estimate and realized it was time to put the Ford out of it's misery. The Honda wasn't going to cut it for daily stuff and I still wanted either a station wagon or an SUV, but was really tired of the 15 mpg that the Ford got. Looked at the Outback and the Escape, but was blown away by the CX-5. Without repeating what everyone else has said, I'll leave you with this: The CX-5 AWD with the 2.5 liter Skyactiv engine is 90% of the utility of the Explorer and 95% of the fun of driving the Honda. I love this SUV/car/CUV vehicle!

Surprisingly enjoyable drive - about 8 second 0-60, solid braking, great handling, comfortable, just a blast to drive!

I keep reading that some are a bit put off by the interior design. Keep in mind, this is a (roughly) $25,000 base vehicle. If you want all the amenities of a BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti or Mercedes, then spend the extra $25,000 and get your heated vanity mirrors. For what this car costs, it is very nicely equipped.