2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Review: Very Good w/ a few concerns

2014 Mazda CX-5 - Consumer Review

Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 6-speed Automatic)

Very Good w/ a few concerns
By linwood_852 on

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I just hit 5K miles and overall I'm very pleased with this vehicle. It handles very well, gets good gas milage (25 mpg in mixed city driving on regular octane) and has a very versatile interior. It compares favorably to my wife's Subaru Outback (better handling, more versatile interior due to 40-20-40 2nd seat) and to my former Audi Q5 (which is more luxurious and heavier built but at the expense of mpg & $15K more in price). My only concerns are excessive road/engine noise, replacement part availability, and bluetooth/audio performance.

- Interior versatility is great with the 40-20-40 2nd seat. This feature is tough to find, but allows multiple people, dogs, & skis to ride in harmony. - Handling is very good. In my opinion compares very well with all vehicles in its class. Is in fact, fun to drive. - MPG on regular octane is very good for its class. I think it would be tough to find interior versatility at such good mpg. - Blind spot warning, rear camera, backup audio warning(an expensive dealer-installed option), and Smart City Braking all work well. Visibility is good all around. Safety features are well-implemented.

- For 8 weeks I've had a replacement windshield on backorder from Mazda as I have a 24" crack in mine due to a pebble on the interstate. Either they've had a problem with excessive windshield breakage, or they haven't produced enough replacement parts. Either way, they shouldn't leave their owners in a lurch. - When they redesigned to reduce weight, I imagine they compromised on interior insulation. Also, the high compression engine (which performs well) is likely a bit noisier at times. Road noise is higher than I'd prefer. Just make sure you evaluate it yourself. - Bluetooth is a bit slow to connect, but it works. Audio performance is just so-so, as noted in other reviews.