The CX-5 is simply best in class
By akchris on
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I have a long commute, need a nice ride and good MPG - drove everything in the class - CRV (loud), new RAV4 (ugly int), Sportage (poor ride), Escape (ugly in/out), Equinox (outdated), Compass and Rogue (CVT), they all had little warts that became glaring weaknesses after driving the Mazda. I have a sound meter, it's tied for quietest at 75 mph, fuel economy is unmatched looking at real world results, no CVT (noise, ugh), best handling, great seats, great dash, its roomy - I'm 6'2" and never feel cramped in the CX5. Others have a little more cargo space, or a touch more rear seat room, but none have the complete package like the Mazda. Averaging 28.6 mpg in mixed driving after 3,000 miles.
Favorite Features
Lots of zoom - my wife loves to drive my car, grrrr... Interior layout is fantastic, seats are really comfy and supportive when taking a hairpin at 45, mpg is insane for something this size that's not a hybrid or diesel (I've hit 36+ mpg on a 400 mile, all hwy trip), great looking exterior (others have a massive butt, the CX5 rear is nicely sculpted), new Mazda face looks great, Bose stereo in Touring and Grand is really good, seamless bluetooth integration with phone and it sounds good to people you're calling, steering wheel controls for everything, quiet ride compared to others - a great environment to learn Spanish during my long work commute.
Suggested Improvements
Tan interior not available on all colors, fog lights are purely cosmetic - they throw no light, have to scoot the front seats forward and remove headrests in order for rear seats to fold, stereo functions lack customization (tabs for radio/CD/USB/Bluetooth are on two screens, if you're going from radio to bluetooth you have to take your eyes off the road), dash is all black - opt for the tan interior (I have the sapphire ext) or your all black interior will be hot in the sun, the phone call button is on a spoke on the left side right against the steering wheel - you will bump this regularly. Minor complaints that pales in comparison to the competition.
By akchris
on 09/25/13 14:52 PM (PDT)

After 6,000 miles the CX5 continues to impress. My wife wants to trade in her Jetta TDI for the zoom-zoom of a Mazda. I get lots of compliments, best looking SUV on the road. I added 18" RX8 wheels to mine to make it a little different from all the others. Very happy with the purchase.