2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Review: Nice small suv, not good on ga

2014 Mazda CX-5 - Consumer Review

Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 6-speed Automatic)

Nice small suv, not good on gas
By robinlewes on

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my CX-5 last summer after doing a lot of research to find a small suv that would get good gas mileage. I thought I had made the right decision but now I'm thinking I made somewhat of a mistake. I like most things about this car, the way it handles and it's comfort and convenience but mine is getting lousy gas mileage. Mazda claims I should get 26/35 but I'm generally only getting 20mpg! Even my dealership was questioning this low mileage. They have checked the car over but found nothing wrong suggesting that I use a better grade of gas. I did so but it made no difference. My BMW 325i I traded got better. I'm really thinking of trading this car as I'm disappointed in Mazda's claims.

Very comfortable ride even on a longer trip. Very convenient for me as I own a small business and I'm always buying tons of bulky stuff at Sam's Club. I love the Bluetooth and hands free feature. Stereo sounds good. Good visibility. Love the blind spot monitoring ( I think all cars should have that). I like the back up camera too. All and all, it's a nice little suv with a sporty look that some don't have and plenty of head room.

I think Mazda needs to improve on the gas mileage unless it's a problem only with my car. They could also improve on instrumentation. The knobs for the radio are extremely small and lack any kind of grip, especially for a guys' fingers. Also, I feel that the doors are a bit tinny. My sister's Honda CRV feels more solid.
By jordangri
on 03/09/14 23:06 PM (PDT)

If you carry a lot of stuff in the car it will hurt your MPG a lot, especially since you got the smaller 2.0 engine. Have you had to replace any tires? I am thinking that somehow the AWD system is engaging a lot and hurting your mileage.