MY CX-5 - NEARLY PERFECT
By sonowop on
2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
Have driven my Grand Touring 2014 for 5,000 miles now. The good: handles wonderful, brakes are great, visibility excellent, comfort very good. No complaints on build quality, style, or driveability. It's not perfect but was the best choice for me relative to its competition. Major surprise is the driveability of car. I did not really expect it. 2.5 is a little beast (that's good). Major disappointment is the radio, gps, and gas mileage.
Favorite Features
I most like the style of my CX-5. The handling is precise, positive and nimble. Very easy to park and u-turn. Brakes are sensational. Windshield is expansive. Seats are comfortable and supportive. Interior space is ample. Hatch space is quite good. Winter traction is acceptable (2 wheel drive). I have used a 1/2 quart of oil in 5000 miles. Hmmm. Gas mileage is EPA 32 highway. 27 all around. Well, I have never gotten 32. Just once 31. 27 is pretty average. My city driving is like suburban driving so 27 is great. But, on the highway I like to run about 82 mph and at that speed 32 is hopeless. My Corvette get better mileage than my CX-5 at speed. CX-5 is happy under 75.
Suggested Improvements
Tom-Tom is a dinosaur next to a Garmin. Save your money, buy a Garmin and be happy. Radio is a giant disappointment. E.g., if you select to see "station list" the radio does not show the adjacent stations but goes back to the very first station programmed. Same with using MP3 player with USB. Does not pick up where you left off but goes to start of list. Hello Mazda. Control knobs are too close together on steering wheel. Difficult to accurately select with gloves on. Hint: Mazda check out Chrysler or GM setup. Hatch lighting is to one side. Center on roof for effective lighting. Glove box too low and set too far back. Headlights illuminate well but not far out enough.