Great CUV for Money and Great Gas Mileage
By ericdanzas on
2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I looked at most of the CUV in this catregory and test drove them all (and rented a few while on business) I even looked at a couple of hybrids (C-Max and Prius V). I have owned a lot of Hondas over the years and thought I would buy the CRV but I was disappointed Honda did not move to a 6 speed transmission in the last update and just stretched the 5 speed gears to get better gas mileage. I decided on the Mazda and could not be happier. The ride is definitely on the sporty side (stiffer than most) but fun to drive. The MPG are truly outstanding and the Mazda looks more expensive then it actually is.
Favorite Features
I currently also own a 2009 VW Rabbit which handles very well. The CX5 feels a lot like the VW Rabbit however it gets better gas mileage in the city and on the highway. I have a heavy foot and my recent trip up north (260 miles round trip) average 31.8 MPG. The worse MPG I have had in normal mixed driving is 26 MPG. All this with an AWD CUV!! Really impressive! I also like the rear seats in that they easily fold down in three sections so we can put long items (skis) through the center and still carry four people! The interior is very classy looking unlike some interiors that are too complicated and fussy! Love the technology package! The headlights do an outstanding job!
Suggested Improvements
The Mazda CX5 is the lightest in this class. Mazda saved some weight by keeping down the insullation. I found the carpeting to be a little thin. My car came with the optional Mazda all weather floor mats which are worth the extra cost! Other than that the Mazda is a great value and very nice looking CUV!