Fun to drive & great on gas!
By chemobob on
2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)
I was looking for a new vehicle to use for work. My wish list included 1. Plenty of room in back for sales materials 2. Combined EPA mileage of at least 27.5 mpg (company requirement to get an extra $100/month in car allowance) 3. Manual transmission 4. Sporty handling & fun to drive. I researched a LOT of vehicles, and the CX-5 was the only one I found that met all of my needs. I have already put over 10k miles on it in 3 months. Fuel economy in mostly highway driving has been over 30mpg. I drive around 78mph on the interstate. In 6th gear the rpms are 3200 at this speed. It would get even better mileage at 60-65mph. So far it has performed flawlessly. I'm very happy with my choice!
Favorite Features
Exterior styling, sporty handling, manual gearbox, fuel economy. I think the base stereo sounds fine.
Suggested Improvements
A manual transmission is only available in the Sport model. You cannot get leather seats, heated seats, bluetooth, Homelink, or parking sensors on the Sport model, so I had my dealership have all of these items added at a local shop. They even put a massager in the driver's seat! The 6-speed is only available with the 2.0 liter engine. It's no surprise that this engine is quite under-powered.....even more than I expected. I've had to get used to winding it out when accelerating on an entrance ramp. To me it's worth it when I average over 30mpg. Not good for towing! Mileage dropped from 30.7 to 20.5 when pulling an empty 4x8 utility trailer on the highway.