Beware of Road Noise
By cozyjohn on
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
The noise appears to be coming out of the rear wheel well area. I spend quite a bit of time on the Interstates for my job and the noise is constant. Friends say "just turn up the radio", but that’s not a solution. Both Consumer Reports and Popular Mechanics magazines have made it a point in their reviews to mention the "noise issue", wish I had read them first. The decision to purchase was based on my need to improve fuel economy, the looks and how the vehicle physically drove. (all of these are great) But I have regretted my purchase since the 1st road trip. Either a financial loss is taken by trading / selling it or I do something about it.
Suggested Improvements
So I have driven with the local dealer's lead Mazda mechanic, who said that it does appear that the noise is coming from the wheel wells and that the noise is acceptable, but referred me to the Service Manager. The Service Manager and the Mazda Regional Manager drove it and it was reported back to me by the Service Manager that the Regional said that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and that was it. The SM said he would contact the Sales Dept to see if they would cover an undercoating for the wheel wells. Still waiting….. to hear back. If I don’t hear back then I will pay for something to lessen the “noise”. Of my last 5 vehicle purchases the CX 5 is the only one to have this issue.
By sj1417
on 07/18/13 07:40 AM (PDT)

FINALLY, someone using the internet to actually help someone else. That's nice to see. I had an Acura TL that was rather noisy too, and when it came time to replace the tires, I didn't get more than 50 feet from the tire store when I noticed the HUGE improvement in noise levels with the replacement set.

By ericdanzas
on 07/12/13 17:12 PM (PDT)

When I had purchased my 2008 Mazda 3 Grand Touring the road noise was terrible. I could not stand the car! The OEM tires were the problem. Fortunately they only lasted 20K and when I replaced them I researched best tires to replace them with (noise, traction, etc.). The new tires were dramatically different and totally changed the way the car sounded on the road and handled in the snow (another issue with original tires). Huge difference. The replacement tires now have 40K and are still going strong! Something to consider. It might be the tires!

By luvbeetle
on 01/01/14 15:34 PM (PST)

I am also looking at small to mid SUVs. I notice noise in all. When I do get one I will have some type of sound dreading put rear areas, like danamat that crutchfield sells.