A Happy New Mazda Owner
By esslewis on
2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I was looking very hard for a few months at the 2013 RAV4 and the Honda CRV. Something got my attention, though, with the Mazda CX-5, and I ended up buying the 2014 Grand Touring version, and I love the choice I made. Others have mentioned a higher than usual amount of road noise, but I don’t notice it, and you have to compromise something (in this case, heavier and thicker materials) to get such good gas mileage. All in all, it feels good to think that you got more car than you thought you could for the money spent, with features you didn’t think you could get, and that it’s such a strong performer in the safety and reliability department. One very happy Mazda owner here, so far.
Favorite Features
The larger engine gives you plenty of power; this baby handles like a dream, and I love the headlights that turn with the car. I also don’t mind at all the fairly monochrome black-and-white colors of the instrument panel; the seats are very comfortable for me; there’s plenty of leg room and in the past I’ve driven cars with the seat all the way back and I still wanted more. Some others have noted that the Tom Tom navigation system is “clunky,” and this is the first in-car system I’ve had, but it seems to work fine for me.
Suggested Improvements
There are a few very minor negatives, one being not very many little cubby holes and storage places for stuff. But I’ve adapted to that just fine. I have also seen better configurations of the console; this model really commits, permanently, to two cupholders right there in the middle that have zero adjustability. Nothing moves, inserts, comes out or changes in any way, as some other brands seem to do. The sunroof seems to be a little on the small side; that’s about it, and again, these are VERY minor issues!