2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

After 6 months, traded it for a Subaru
By akchris

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After falling in love with the CX5 and really enjoying it, some warts really started to show. My commute changed from 55mi a day, 70% hwy to 40mi mostly city and my MPG really crashed. Was getting 30+ mpg per tank, after moving I never saw 20 mpg again. Then there's the wear on the interior - the seats in my 2004 Honda with 170k looked better than the CX5's after less than 6 months. The drivers seat looked beat after 8k miles and stray threads were popping up in the pass seat. The carpet in the rear hatch was trashed after I moved bags and boxes, I hauled tons of stuff in my Honda and it looked better, can't imagine how bad the CX5 will look in 5 years, brutal. Got a great Subaru trade.

Favorite Features

Looks good, highway MPG, Bose stereo sounds good.

Suggested Improvements

Lightweight means chintzy in this car, it was nothing but a commuter car that hauled light stuff when I moved and it already looked trashed inside. The glossy black on the dash was scuffed after wiping off dust, unacceptable. My Subaru WRX is much faster, seat fabric is much thicker and more robust and I'm getting better MPG on my commute. I'm happy the Mazda zoom-zoomed out of my garage!

Good - not great
By dougal1098

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have been driving my 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring for a couple of days now. I got the base Grand Touring model with a remote start and a trailer hitch. The car itself is nice with good handling and styling. The car just looks nice. The 19" wheels are a distinctive feature that really makes the car unique. The handling of the car is nice but not dramatically different than other cars in its class. And really, why buy this car of this class for handling anyway?

Favorite Features

The styling is nice and the inside is roomier than you would think. I can fit my MTB inside without any problem. I got the cargo liner which is a nice soft cover for the back trunk area and the back of the seats. The leather seats with the red stitching are really nice and supportive. The car handles well and the ride has a firm feel to it but still takes bumps well. I also like the fact that the transmission will shift up quickly so to get good gas mileage but when you need it, the power is there.

Suggested Improvements

With that said, there are things that are just terrible and stupid on this car. First is the computer system. I did not get the tech package because I read many poor things about the Tom-Tom system but the simple Audio/blue-tooth phone system is just terrible. The sound integration with your phone is just terrible. The speakers are poor at best and are no better than you get in a much cheaper car. Really disappointed in this. The interior lighting is bad as well with no trunk light. The lack of arm rests is odd and the lack of storage is just annoying. Also, the OEM hitch is just a class I, which is very limited and I would not recommend.

A wonderful small SUV
By gc666

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

originally looking at CX9. Dealer said best hoped for mileage would be 22-24. Needed better. Bought this 2014 as a certified preowned, 6 mos old, 11000 miles. it is the Grand Touring with 2.5 engine. plenty of power, smooth running, smooth shifting, and best of all great mileage. I was used to a tdi Jetta getting 49 mph. Mazda estimates this engine at 30 combined and 35 highway. that is exactly what I am getting; and actually closer to 36. I couldn't be happier. Interior room much larger than I had expected. I can carry 4 golf bags and their owners with comfort.

Favorite Features

the leather seats. thick leather that hugs both sides of your body and hold you there while you navigate turns. Coupled with the sportscar like suspension, this is one fun car to drive. I drive the Ortega a couple of times a month, for pleasure. this car handles as good as my TDI, which handled better than my 04 Corvette. Great sound system by bose, smooth transmission either in auto or manual shift mode, quite interior with no windnoise, brakes that stop with assurance, handling with a little understeer, a side-warning system that really works, excellent Bluetooth; im very happy with this automobile.

Suggested Improvements

cargo area at the very back behind the wheel wells has two open little pits for things to fall into. put a little trap door over each. the bumper hitch supplied by mazda is the puny 1.25" receiver. with the 19" wheels there is room for a 3". why not, this will tow 3500 pounds.

2014 CX-5 Grand Touring, the best ever!
By dps782

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased it loaded with everything possible on the 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring. Its gas mileage surpasses expectation at 28.6 city using cruise control when possible. The 2.5 engine is peppy and responds fast, nothing sluggish about this vehicle whatsoever. Thankfully the rear camera doesnít beep at you when in reverse up like a Prius, and inside beep would is so useless. (As if you donít know you are backing up?) The heated seats are nice on cold mornings and warm quickly. The 9-speaker Bose stereo system is symphony quality and quiets any minimal road noise. The navigation (TomTom) is touchy but adequate. I would prefer to see a Garmin navigation system in the CX-5 but that is a personal pref

Favorite Features

Responsive rack & pinion steering, Smart City Braking, Great mileage, Towing package, highest safety ratings around, high mileage per gallon. I'm 6' 1" and the CX-5 has lots of room to stretch out and more than enough head room anywhere in the vehicle. The bush button lay flat rear seats. The lay flat reclining front seats. High visibility.

Suggested Improvements

TomTom navigation (GPS) gets you there but a Garmin system would be better. The TomTom will get you to a major city but speaking a uniquely named street to it is hopeless at times and "fun to drive" was given 4 out of 5 for that reason.

Fun, But Missing Something
By tlxxtl

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Ok, I read all of the reviews on all of the RAV4, CRV, Rogue and Escape and I purchased a CX-5 Why? MY wife liked it best, I loved the Escape but it had to much stuff! 15000 commands and I could not program a command, Hmmm. Rav4 just felt old and did the CRV. The Rogue simply was the victim of its own delays and timing, Nissan kept delaying shipments to sell off remaining 2013's so We could not drive and compare a 2014 to the CX-5. Back to the CX-5, 2014 GT runs like it was stolen with the peppy 2.5L and CVT, inside the reviewers got it mostly correct. The NAV is the best once you get past its slow speed. P.S. Forester Boring yet capable if you stay awake.

Favorite Features

NAVIGATION, the TOM TOM NAV. is slow but very informative, I went to Columbus OH. and it did not let me get lost. additionally it only mutes the front speakers when the voice prompts allowing the rear passengers to continue listening to music.

Suggested Improvements

Note the only improvements are to options not currently available on the CX-5 such as: Rear sliding seats, power lift gate option, additional USB ports, Better front seat heating and optional rear seat heaters, Standard cargo cover ($200)