2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
Responsive and Agile
By christian_v on 05/21/13 08:37 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Looks great, easily the best looking CUV in the market right now. I test drove a GT AWD, Touring AWD, Sport FWD and AWD. The Sport models felt more agile and responsive. Consequently, I chose a Sport AWD that sat in the parking lot unnoticed (2 miles on the odometer). The lack of power really only becomes apparent on the highway. The engine needs to be revved a bit more to squeeze all the available power. But it does it so smoothly, downshifts quickly, puts a smile on my face each time I hit the gas pedal!

I couldn't be happier with my new CX 5!
By lizlubee on 05/19/13 15:49 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I spent 1 1/2 years researching small SUVs and finally decided to purchase a Mazda CX 5, AWD Grand Touring. I now have just over 1400 miles and can honestly say it's all the car the manufacturer claims it is. It's responsive, very comfortable, and good fun to drive. It also has good ground clearance (important for me) and standard blind-spot monitoring (a real plus). My gas mileage is outstanding for a car of this type: 37 mpg (highway), gas tank 1/4 full and 34.5 mpg (highway), gas tank 4/4 full. In the city I get between 27-28 mpg. And these are real numbers not EPA estimates! If you're in the market for a new small SUV you can't go wrong with this car!

The CUV to beat
By hammer105 on 05/19/13 09:12 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a CX5 after spending 3 months looking and waiting for the new RAV4. I actually purchased a RAV4 but waited 2 month for a FWD in the northeast before giving up. I always liked the look of the CX5 exterior better but was really drawn to the passenger view of the interior on the RAV4. The 2013 RAV4 XLE would have cost me about $2.5K less than the 2014 CX5 Touring with Sunroof and a few extras that are standard in the RAV4 (excise tax larger). I would have got the Grand Touring but did not want leather or the low profile tires. The CRV was to boring and was not that impressed with the rest of the competition although some can be found with better prices. To many angles in the escape and I found them to be expensive with options. From a driving perspective the CX5 was always better and the gas mileage is impressive on the 120-mile ride home from the dealer it averaged 34.7 at 65-70 mph on the computer and is still above 30. The car looks like it’s a BMW except it looks more aggressive. The seats are comfortable and the ride very smooth and quite. Like Toyota they are using long life fluids and most last over 100K. As a side note I traded a Mini cooper 40+ to the gal and would leave any of these cuv’s for dust on a windy road with 2 people inside. I also have two Toyota,s shame on Toyota for not giving customers what they want when they make it, regional bull$h$#. All the manufactures need to take their apple heads off and just make the inboard computer a fully customizable computer the owner/buyer of the vehicle can fully customized to their taste i.e. picture of your kids or dog comes up instead of their logo, vehicle status screens with temp gauge, audio screen so on and on, although both the Toyota and the CX5 are getting close. As for resell value that’s a bit like the stock market will a RAV4 build in Canada hold its value more than a CX5 built in Japan, what if gas goes to $6 a gallon and who cares if you keep it for a while because if you don’t you might as well lease. I feel this is the car to beat in this segment and I am sure Mazda will keep adding to it. Mazda try to make a profit this year as your cars are no cheaper than the compertition.

No zoom zoom here
By ygbsmbd on 05/16/13 21:59 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had mine for 6000 miles, MAZDA! Never again. CX5 is underpowered; the transmission makes it worse. Slow and gear confused at 20-40 MPH, especially in the hills. Must manually shift this slug or nail gas in hills or entering hyway. Don't pass; it dies for a whole second before accelerating. 25 MPG at best. Seat adjuster is awful, nav is cumbersome, the road noise makes it hard to talk at 50 MPH and above, insulation is not there, crank the air and leave it, or drive an oven. Second highest model has no tail lift gate light; WHAT! Shifter easy to knock out of gear/ over to manual. rear wiper grinds. cannot see out the right side well. can't see the gages. no lights on window controls.

True to expectations - Comfortable but some quibbles
By agaurav on 05/12/13 09:58 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my CX5 for 2+ months and driven 2200 miles in Dallas metroplex. It has been great so far with no surprises. Comfortable ride and no squeaks or any mechanical issues. Gas mileage for this FWD has been 27 mpg in mostly city driving with a very light foot and a constant eye on the current mpg reading. The USB port in the console charges phones at a slow rate since it has medium amp. The rear seats don't recline so not very comfortable for adults. Now that I am used to backup camera and blind spot monitoring, I need to be careful when driving wife's car without these aids. The gas tank is 15 gallons but I could fill only 12.2 gallons when range left was 5 miles.

A Happy New Mazda Owner
By esslewis on 05/10/13 16:05 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I was looking very hard for a few months at the 2013 RAV4 and the Honda CRV. Something got my attention, though, with the Mazda CX-5, and I ended up buying the 2014 Grand Touring version, and I love the choice I made. Others have mentioned a higher than usual amount of road noise, but I don’t notice it, and you have to compromise something (in this case, heavier and thicker materials) to get such good gas mileage. All in all, it feels good to think that you got more car than you thought you could for the money spent, with features you didn’t think you could get, and that it’s such a strong performer in the safety and reliability department. One very happy Mazda owner here, so far.

Road Noise, Radio
By charlesc32 on 04/29/13 10:18 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Nice car. Love the back-up camera and blind spot warning system. However, the road noise is excessive. It came with Yokohama Geoearth tires. Very noisy. At the behest of my tire dealer I changed to Michelin Defenders. Touted as the quietest tires available. Don't believe it. The road noise reduction was not noticeable. I just wasted lots of money. Told him so. He was not inclined to change his advice. Didn't expect him to do so. It would seem the Japanese engineers could address this road noise problem as the GM engineers have. I think, in retrospect, I should have bought an Encore. So far, CX-5 Touring is reliable.

great little cuv cx5
By tdhun7 on 04/26/13 03:40 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my mazda cx5 2014 GT/Tech package a month ago and i'm loving it, Fun to drive, performance wise, more than enough power to handle any terrain,and it handles absolutely great...only issue that i have is road noise and cup holder is awkward...but they were just minor issues...

A great choice!
By lizlubee on 04/16/13 19:01 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I spent the better part of 2 years researching small SUV's. I keep my vehicles for a decade or more, so wanted to get it right. I ultimately decided upon the 2014 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring (AWD) and I am extremely pleased. My gas mileage has been very good (31 highway/27.5 city) and will likely improve as the weather warms and the engine "breaks in". It also handles well, is very comfortable, and includes "blind-spot monitoring" as a standard feature! It's great fun to drive and a great value. I couldn't be happier with my choice!

2014 GT CX5
By scweeeker on 04/16/13 18:20 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After test driving the Kia, Honda, Ford, Chevy Equinox the CX5 made it quickly to the top of my purchase list. It offered the style, comfort, more creature comforts and most importantly price. This vehicle is great handling and a pleasure to drive. I simply love this vehicle. I traded my CRZ hybrid for Mazda so the gas mileage, regardless of what i bought, would never exceed my lil hybrid, but this is definitely worth the switch. I have room again!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Mazda CX-5 Suv in VA is:

$159 per month*