2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews 6

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
Best in Class
By mjh84 on 07/27/13 05:53 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Before buying, I researched and test-drove 3 cars in this class: CR-V, RAV4, and CX-5. To me, there was no competition in the test-drive that matched the CX-5. Not even close. After that drive, I knew a CX-5 would be my next car. It was the most responsive, had the most strength entering freeway, and had the best overall driving experience. A big complaint I have read with the CX-5 was the road noise/firmness of ride. After test driving all 3, I didn't really notice a significant difference in any of the ones. They were all relatively loud. I think the road noise is just a fault of cars in this class.

The CX-5 is simply best in class
By akchris on 07/17/13 14:27 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have a long commute, need a nice ride and good MPG - drove everything in the class - CRV (loud), new RAV4 (ugly int), Sportage (poor ride), Escape (ugly in/out), Equinox (outdated), Compass and Rogue (CVT), they all had little warts that became glaring weaknesses after driving the Mazda. I have a sound meter, it's tied for quietest at 75 mph, fuel economy is unmatched looking at real world results, no CVT (noise, ugh), best handling, great seats, great dash, its roomy - I'm 6'2" and never feel cramped in the CX5. Others have a little more cargo space, or a touch more rear seat room, but none have the complete package like the Mazda. Averaging 28.6 mpg in mixed driving after 3,000 miles.

Great Small SUV! Very Useful and Fun to Drive!!
By comet18 on 07/14/13 22:12 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bottom Line Up Front: I bought my 2014 Soul Red Metallic Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring at the end of May and couldn't be happier with it! It looks great, drives wonderfully and is exceeding the advertised MPG ratings. We looked at the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Subaru Outback and Forester as well as the Mazda CX-5. Test drove them all several times. Comparing the safety ratings, fuel economy, cargo capacity, etc. the cars all come out fairly similarly. In my opinion, the main differentials were looks and driving style. The CX-5 is sleeker and much more fun to drive. It felt much more nimble and agile than the others and now it's in my garage.

Drives Great - Almost a Home Run
By scmtbdoon on 07/13/13 19:36 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The perfect car – if your criteria is: 1) Drives like a small BMW sedan, 2) Carries camping gear, bikes and kayaks down bad dirt roads to your favorite primitive campground. For an SUV it is high on utility and it is the first SUV where the S truly means sports car-like performance. However, it is not the perfect car if your criteria includes: 1) Tomb-quiet interior under all road conditions and speeds, 2) Zero intrusion of road-feel of any kind through the brakes, steering or suspension or 3) Extended off-road terrain crawling. The exterior is sleek, muscular and emotive without being overdone. 19" wheels are handsome. The interior is elegant rather than flashy – like an Italian suit.

Great looking, but needs work
By carzcville on 07/12/13 13:40 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I own a 2014 Touring. The new engine is a big improvement over the 2013 - smooth with good power. Fit and finish are excellent with comfortable cloth seats. Problems noted take a lot away from this car: the door ledge is at a right angle rather than rounded like most vehicles and is not well-padded making it extremely uncomfortable to rest left arm while driving. Similarly, the center console/armrest is too low and not well-padded, making resting your right arm/elbow difficult. The base stereo speakers are awful - much worse than stock speakers on other cars I've owned. The projector headlights bounce far more than other cars and are distracting. CX-5 is great looking but needs work.

Great SUV!
By lchoate on 07/12/13 12:10 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I've bought my 2013 CX-5 in 2012. So I have 13 months on the car now. I drive 5 days a week 60 miles round trip and average 30 mpg. I drive half city and half highway. I wanted a vehicle that saved me money on gas and had the height I needed to drive on the Houston roads when it rains and floods. It has made me feel very safe with the sensors in the side mirrors and I truly believe all car makers should make this feature a standard feature on all makes and models in the future. This has saved me on a daily basis from running infront of other cars when I could not see them and it also alerts me when another car is near by. I love the fact it has 6 airbags. Great car, easy handling.

Beware of Road Noise
By cozyjohn on 07/10/13 10:41 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The noise appears to be coming out of the rear wheel well area. I spend quite a bit of time on the Interstates for my job and the noise is constant. Friends say "just turn up the radio", but that’s not a solution. Both Consumer Reports and Popular Mechanics magazines have made it a point in their reviews to mention the "noise issue", wish I had read them first. The decision to purchase was based on my need to improve fuel economy, the looks and how the vehicle physically drove. (all of these are great) But I have regretted my purchase since the 1st road trip. Either a financial loss is taken by trading / selling it or I do something about it.

Very Good w/ a few concerns
By linwood_852 on 06/24/13 08:08 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I just hit 5K miles and overall I'm very pleased with this vehicle. It handles very well, gets good gas milage (25 mpg in mixed city driving on regular octane) and has a very versatile interior. It compares favorably to my wife's Subaru Outback (better handling, more versatile interior due to 40-20-40 2nd seat) and to my former Audi Q5 (which is more luxurious and heavier built but at the expense of mpg & $15K more in price). My only concerns are excessive road/engine noise, replacement part availability, and bluetooth/audio performance.

You're gonna love this car!!
By drainman1 on 06/18/13 18:07 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Got our CX-5 a week and a half ago. We had a Honda Civic prior to the Mazda, and wanted a car that didn't require Vaseline-ing myself to get in and out of. This car meets that requirement and much more. I agree with all of the 5 star reviews for comfort, power, gas mileage, safety, fit and finish, good price, and fun to drive as a bonus. Just like many others, I did my homework, checked out the competition. The CX-5 was the favorite pick. Drove the Rogue SV and was disappointed in the cheap look of the interior, plus the ride was mushy. Considered the CR-V, but Honda's don't live up to the mileage ratings, besides being kind of bland.

Great CUV for Money and Great Gas Mileage
By ericdanzas on 06/16/13 10:06 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I looked at most of the CUV in this catregory and test drove them all (and rented a few while on business) I even looked at a couple of hybrids (C-Max and Prius V). I have owned a lot of Hondas over the years and thought I would buy the CRV but I was disappointed Honda did not move to a 6 speed transmission in the last update and just stretched the 5 speed gears to get better gas mileage. I decided on the Mazda and could not be happier. The ride is definitely on the sporty side (stiffer than most) but fun to drive. The MPG are truly outstanding and the Mazda looks more expensive then it actually is.