2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda CX-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Mixed Feelings
By kenshin

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased : December 2013 Build quality may be an issue... Week 2 : the passenger seat trim vibrating noise, probably due to contact when exiting vehicle. Fixed by dealer. Week 3 : front windows vibrating noise when opened slightly. Not bothersome enough to take to dealer, but disappointing nonetheless. Week 4 : right sun visor vibration noise, goes away if opened then reclosed. Week 6 : upper right corner of center console screen intermittent rubbing noise. Since the beginning, there's also been a ceiling vibration noise if only the rear windows are open. Apparently, this kind of wind harmonics problem is common for many cars. Again, more disappointment.

* engine growl is music to the ears * outstanding handling encourages "spirited" driving * roomy, especially rear legroom and cargo capacity * best-looking exterior in its class by miles * great mileage (averaging 34.5 mpg, 75% highway) * 2.5L has more than enough power * blind-spot monitor and backup camera are lifesavers * versatile 40/20/40 folding rear seats * transmission takes getting used to, particularly the engine braking between 19 - 10 mph (makes coasting a drag), but I guess it helps fuel economy somehow * keyless entry remote has surprising range * excellent safety ratings (those built Nov 2013 or later)

- headrest bulges forward, not adjustable - auto-on headlights should be standard - some interior switches not lit - steering column doesn't telescope far enough - rear headrests block rear view - interior metallic parts reflects sun - limited exterior/interior color combinations - armrests uneven height - temperature knob sounds cheap when turned - noisy rear wiper motor - small cubicle (left of steering wheel) not deep/angled enough - no A-pillar grab handle - cargo light not on ceiling - center vents too low / range of adjustment too small - standard audio very unimpressive - tail pipe looks too small - door handle too far forward - no rear fan vents

Acceleration Issue
By jam2825

2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2014 CX5 in early 2013. It has 25,000 miles at this time, mostly highway miles. In the last 6 months there have been times when accelerating to pass, the car accelerates to extreme after I have let off the accelerator, and the tachometer flies up as if the accelerator is sticking. The accelerator also flies up while breaking. It is becoming more and more frequent. After reading another review on the same subject, I felt it necessary to confirm the issue. I am very disappointed, as this vehicle was not cheap.

All wheel drive as nice this past winter.

If this is a transmission issue, please issue recall and fix it.

Best car I've ever had
By dlobrien1980

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring back in May of 2013. I used to be a Dodge guy all the way, but my best friend, who runs a Mazda dealership, introduced me to this ride. I am a heavy commuter, 100 miles a day, and have already put 20,000 miles on it. I have not had one single problem and have had great gas mileage. It is a fun to drive car and a safe ride for me, my wife, and our 14 month old son. Decent cargo room, and the 2014 has that 2.5 liter engine, giving it a boost over the 2.0 from 2013. I'm looking forward to Mazda's reliability to get me through years of commuting, because I do A LOT of driving. I highly reccommend!

2.5 liter engine, touch screen with bluetooth phone, Pandora, navigation, the overall look of the vehicle.

Not a huge fan of the dashboard material, but I can see it aging much more gracefully than a normal dashboard, so I know why Mazda did it.

Drives awesome; poor audio system
By jerzeydave

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car because I was looking for a balance of performance and efficiency, as well as decent cargo space. I feel Mazda has delivered for me. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old--they're both in full size car seats that fit fine. Cargo space appears sufficient after three months of use. The car is really fun to drive, and handled this bad NJ snowy winter very, very well. That said, I also love a good audio system, and this one in the CX-5 is a colossal disappointment.

Driving experience is on par with my 2008 Acura RDX, which I leased new at the time. While not as fast, it's much more efficient so the trade off is worth it to me. The car looks great. 19 inch rims are nice. Simple dash. Seats are comfortable. Great in snow.

As many have stated, the audio system is a real downer. First, the USB interface is horrible. It takes a .5 mile to begin playback, always starting over with first song (alphabet). Also, I'm not sure why Bose would associate itself with this system. Coming from a 2011 Murano SL, it could be the lack of subwoofer on CX-5. Also, while seats comfortable, they are thin. If my kid stretches or kicks seat, I feel it. Last, and this is a big one. In winter, approximately 2x per week, when I got into car at train station at night after leaving it to commute into city, there was moisture on inside of windshield. Car undriveable for almost 5 min. Never happened with Murano.

Best Car I've Owned in a Very Long Time
By kewright

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2014 GT/AWD 2.5 CX-5 in October 2013. I test drove Audi, Lexus, BMW and Infinity models of compact SUVs (with the intent to buy a luxury SUV), but this vehicle was the best bang for the buck overall. This vehicle felt comparable in handling and "fun to drive" with the Audi Q5. The size is great for (downtown) city driving (as about 90% of my driving is). I am getting great gas mileage, around 23-24 mpg city. It handles well in the snow, and feel like I have good traction when the road condition is less than perfect. I feel that it has good power to make it up the CO mountain roads. The trim level is good with just a few things needing improvement for the GT trim level.

The GT trim level is very nice. The front seats are very comfortable and hold a good seat temperature when the heated seat feature is on. I like most features of the audio system, with a few needed functionality improvements for iPod/iPhone. I love, love, love the handling of this car. I feel very in control when going over mountain passes and maneuvering through hairpin curves. This car actually made the pass fun to drive! I haven't had the issues with road noise as other reviewers had. The car is certainly not like driving a tomb, but I don't feel like it's excessively loud. It's quieter than the Jeep Compass we owned previously.

The back seats are not that comfortable. They feel like they are reclined too far back, which feels a little awkward. The passenger front seat should also be a power seat. I am curious about the lack of memory seat settings on a power seat. The heating system seemed to take a long time to provide any warmth to the cabin (about 15 minutes) on a couple of the sub-zero days we had. The defroster was also having issues keeping up any freezing moisture on the windshield. The iPhone/iPod functionality via bluetooth or plug in is a little ridiculous. It always goes to the first song in the play list. The direct plug functionality is really cumbersome and hateful to manage while driving.

• SUV