2014 Mazda CX-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
Feel a little cheated with this one....
By trx284 on 09/11/13 19:27 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The car has a mix of good and bad features. Not a bad car overall, but probably not the best SUV in this category on the road (at least for me). It really depends upon what you value in a car. If you value exterior styling, good gas mileage, and a decent engine you will be happy with this purchase. If you value technology, ride quality, and comfort (interior components) you will likely be happier with the CRV or Escape.

Disappointed
By ali36 on 09/09/13 19:58 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Have owned this car for two months now. Stereo is awful, cabin noise is horrible, it's also very sluggish. The only thing going for it is the looks. Now I'm told the heated seats only work in 63/68 degree temp!!! This was the reason why I bought leather seating. The backup camera doesn't beep when in reverse. I wish I would have chosen the Nissan Rouge instead. The biggest disappointment is the gas mileage, I'm getting about 22mpg, not the 28 suggested!!!!

2.0 L is plenty of power
By rstibbetts on 08/27/13 08:26 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Recently purchased a 2014 CX-5 Sport AWD, as we were looking to get into the vehicle on a tight budget. So far so good. Love the ride and handling. I am surprised so many have commented that the 2.0 L engine is underpowered; it is not. Not by a long shot. Test drove the 2.5 L and 2.0 L and found that the 2.0 L was plenty punchy to get up to speed on the freeway without too much engine groan. This is coming from someone who has driven an overpowered V6 Rav4 for six years. Its lower cost and better MPG make the 2.0 L a good choice for many. Just disappointed the Sport is not trimmed out better. Will find out how reliable the vehicle is.

2.5 Touring w/Bose and Tech package
By jrod9707 on 08/20/13 09:23 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I wanted to get the wife in a larger and higher vehicle due to crazy traffic in Dallas,TX(drives a civic). I was very impressed with how much it drives like a car in that there is virtually no body lean. We wanted a SUV that you could get good amenities without having leather and this was it. The acceleration is very good when you want to speed up to get around someone. My wife initially liked the CRV more as you can see better out of it but you need to drive the car for the day and get used to the blindspot mirrors and once she was used to them it was hands down a much better driving experience than the CRV. I felt that in a year or so the CRV would be ho-hum compared to the CX5.

Fun to drive & great on gas!
By chemobob on 08/03/13 19:37 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I was looking for a new vehicle to use for work. My wish list included 1. Plenty of room in back for sales materials 2. Combined EPA mileage of at least 27.5 mpg (company requirement to get an extra $100/month in car allowance) 3. Manual transmission 4. Sporty handling & fun to drive. I researched a LOT of vehicles, and the CX-5 was the only one I found that met all of my needs. I have already put over 10k miles on it in 3 months. Fuel economy in mostly highway driving has been over 30mpg. I drive around 78mph on the interstate. In 6th gear the rpms are 3200 at this speed. It would get even better mileage at 60-65mph. So far it has performed flawlessly. I'm very happy with my choice!

Best in Class
By mjh84 on 07/27/13 05:53 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Before buying, I researched and test-drove 3 cars in this class: CR-V, RAV4, and CX-5. To me, there was no competition in the test-drive that matched the CX-5. Not even close. After that drive, I knew a CX-5 would be my next car. It was the most responsive, had the most strength entering freeway, and had the best overall driving experience. A big complaint I have read with the CX-5 was the road noise/firmness of ride. After test driving all 3, I didn't really notice a significant difference in any of the ones. They were all relatively loud. I think the road noise is just a fault of cars in this class.

The CX-5 is simply best in class
By akchris on 07/17/13 14:27 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have a long commute, need a nice ride and good MPG - drove everything in the class - CRV (loud), new RAV4 (ugly int), Sportage (poor ride), Escape (ugly in/out), Equinox (outdated), Compass and Rogue (CVT), they all had little warts that became glaring weaknesses after driving the Mazda. I have a sound meter, it's tied for quietest at 75 mph, fuel economy is unmatched looking at real world results, no CVT (noise, ugh), best handling, great seats, great dash, its roomy - I'm 6'2" and never feel cramped in the CX5. Others have a little more cargo space, or a touch more rear seat room, but none have the complete package like the Mazda. Averaging 28.6 mpg in mixed driving after 3,000 miles.

Great Small SUV! Very Useful and Fun to Drive!!
By comet18 on 07/14/13 22:12 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bottom Line Up Front: I bought my 2014 Soul Red Metallic Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring at the end of May and couldn't be happier with it! It looks great, drives wonderfully and is exceeding the advertised MPG ratings. We looked at the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Subaru Outback and Forester as well as the Mazda CX-5. Test drove them all several times. Comparing the safety ratings, fuel economy, cargo capacity, etc. the cars all come out fairly similarly. In my opinion, the main differentials were looks and driving style. The CX-5 is sleeker and much more fun to drive. It felt much more nimble and agile than the others and now it's in my garage.

Drives Great - Almost a Home Run
By scmtbdoon on 07/13/13 19:36 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The perfect car – if your criteria is: 1) Drives like a small BMW sedan, 2) Carries camping gear, bikes and kayaks down bad dirt roads to your favorite primitive campground. For an SUV it is high on utility and it is the first SUV where the S truly means sports car-like performance. However, it is not the perfect car if your criteria includes: 1) Tomb-quiet interior under all road conditions and speeds, 2) Zero intrusion of road-feel of any kind through the brakes, steering or suspension or 3) Extended off-road terrain crawling. The exterior is sleek, muscular and emotive without being overdone. 19" wheels are handsome. The interior is elegant rather than flashy – like an Italian suit.

Great looking, but needs work
By carzcville on 07/12/13 13:40 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I own a 2014 Touring. The new engine is a big improvement over the 2013 - smooth with good power. Fit and finish are excellent with comfortable cloth seats. Problems noted take a lot away from this car: the door ledge is at a right angle rather than rounded like most vehicles and is not well-padded making it extremely uncomfortable to rest left arm while driving. Similarly, the center console/armrest is too low and not well-padded, making resting your right arm/elbow difficult. The base stereo speakers are awful - much worse than stock speakers on other cars I've owned. The projector headlights bounce far more than other cars and are distracting. CX-5 is great looking but needs work.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Mazda CX-5 in VA is:

$159 per month*