2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
Good - not great
By dougal1098 on 12/15/13 07:52 AM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have been driving my 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring for a couple of days now. I got the base Grand Touring model with a remote start and a trailer hitch. The car itself is nice with good handling and styling. The car just looks nice. The 19" wheels are a distinctive feature that really makes the car unique. The handling of the car is nice but not dramatically different than other cars in its class. And really, why buy this car of this class for handling anyway?

A wonderful small SUV
By gc666 on 12/14/13 23:33 PM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

originally looking at CX9. Dealer said best hoped for mileage would be 22-24. Needed better. Bought this 2014 as a certified preowned, 6 mos old, 11000 miles. it is the Grand Touring with 2.5 engine. plenty of power, smooth running, smooth shifting, and best of all great mileage. I was used to a tdi Jetta getting 49 mph. Mazda estimates this engine at 30 combined and 35 highway. that is exactly what I am getting; and actually closer to 36. I couldn't be happier. Interior room much larger than I had expected. I can carry 4 golf bags and their owners with comfort.

2014 CX-5 Grand Touring, the best ever!
By dps782 on 12/12/13 08:50 AM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased it loaded with everything possible on the 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring. Its gas mileage surpasses expectation at 28.6 city using cruise control when possible. The 2.5 engine is peppy and responds fast, nothing sluggish about this vehicle whatsoever. Thankfully the rear camera doesnít beep at you when in reverse up like a Prius, and inside beep would is so useless. (As if you donít know you are backing up?) The heated seats are nice on cold mornings and warm quickly. The 9-speaker Bose stereo system is symphony quality and quiets any minimal road noise. The navigation (TomTom) is touchy but adequate. I would prefer to see a Garmin navigation system in the CX-5 but that is a personal pref

Fun, But Missing Something
By tlxxtl on 11/28/13 07:30 AM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Ok, I read all of the reviews on all of the RAV4, CRV, Rogue and Escape and I purchased a CX-5 Why? MY wife liked it best, I loved the Escape but it had to much stuff! 15000 commands and I could not program a command, Hmmm. Rav4 just felt old and did the CRV. The Rogue simply was the victim of its own delays and timing, Nissan kept delaying shipments to sell off remaining 2013's so We could not drive and compare a 2014 to the CX-5. Back to the CX-5, 2014 GT runs like it was stolen with the peppy 2.5L and CVT, inside the reviewers got it mostly correct. The NAV is the best once you get past its slow speed. P.S. Forester Boring yet capable if you stay awake.

Great MPG. Well engineered. Priced right.
By edz3 on 11/24/13 23:43 PM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The only Mazda I have owned are Miata (three cars). I loved them for their performance oriented handling and reliability even when they are over 10 years old. Therefore, CX5 was the first crossover vehicle I researched when I started looking for a bigger vehicle to replace my last Miata. I did comparison with other make and models over and over and I always came to the same conclusion. CX-5. Some competitors were ranked higher than CX5 by Consumer Reports. However, none of them had better gas mileage or had lower MSRP when equipped similarly. I went and traded in my Miata for a CX5 after a couple of test drives. And after 4 months of ownership, I have no regrets. Mazda hit a home run

interior changes you should know about
By consumer77 on 11/23/13 00:13 AM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

There have been new updates to the interior as of November 2013 on the 2014 cx-5 model. I just purchased a white GT with Tan leather interior. The transmission shift gate has been greatly improved to a straight up and down shifter with a leather boot and chrome surround. No more cheap plastic look. I was pleasantly surprised when my CX was delivered to the dealer as I was not expecting this.

My first Mazda and I like it a lot.
By kathyma on 11/22/13 09:23 AM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I've owed this new 2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring for about 5 months now (purchased this year, 2013). I overly like it a lot. I narrowed my choices down from three similar vehicles at the time: Mazda CX-5, the Chevy Equinox and the Nissan Rogue. Here are my current conclusions from this very nice Mazda compact SUV that also feels like a sports car...

CX5-FWD Touring with Tech/Bose Package
By tirang on 11/20/13 15:11 PM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Firstly, heart felt thanks to all the other reviewers for their reviews in helping in my car purchase process. Had to make a decision between the CX5 vs Forester and went with the CX5. So far so good. Car makes engine noise when just started and also on windy conditions, you can hear the wind noise inside the car. Drives real smooth around corners and in city conditions. For me the lack of reclining back seats nor enough rear leg room for adults was not a deal breaker. Forester has better reliability and AWD as standard. CX5 Bose/Tech package is amazing especially the night adaptive halogen headlights. If you drive around poorly lit areas, this will make a ton of difference.

Way More Than I Expected!
By kaedens on 11/18/13 13:41 PM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I was coming off owning a '98 Ford Explorer and owning a 2004 Honda S2000 as my 'fun' car. Took the Explorer in for a funny noise, got a $3,800 estimate and realized it was time to put the Ford out of it's misery. The Honda wasn't going to cut it for daily stuff and I still wanted either a station wagon or an SUV, but was really tired of the 15 mpg that the Ford got. Looked at the Outback and the Escape, but was blown away by the CX-5. Without repeating what everyone else has said, I'll leave you with this: The CX-5 AWD with the 2.5 liter Skyactiv engine is 90% of the utility of the Explorer and 95% of the fun of driving the Honda. I love this SUV/car/CUV vehicle!

Well-priced and fun Small CUV
By benny_boy on 11/09/13 17:14 PM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Have had this car for 3000 miles in 3 months. Happy with my choice so far. I am 6'-2" and I have two toddlers. My wife is already driving a minivan. So, i was looking for a car that can fit the whole family occasionally, yet compact enough to fit the short street curb between driveways in san francisco, versatile, two car seats, good looking, satisfying to drive, sit high, around $22,000 (out of the door), good mpg for my long commute and respected. I have found all these in my new cx-5. I was not considering mazda. But then, i got a chance to drive a mazda3 rental with a skyactiv engine. I re-discovered the driving experience I loved so much with my old BMW 3 series.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Mazda CX-5 Suv in VA is:

$159 per month*