2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Best car I've ever had
By dlobrien1980

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring back in May of 2013. I used to be a Dodge guy all the way, but my best friend, who runs a Mazda dealership, introduced me to this ride. I am a heavy commuter, 100 miles a day, and have already put 20,000 miles on it. I have not had one single problem and have had great gas mileage. It is a fun to drive car and a safe ride for me, my wife, and our 14 month old son. Decent cargo room, and the 2014 has that 2.5 liter engine, giving it a boost over the 2.0 from 2013. I'm looking forward to Mazda's reliability to get me through years of commuting, because I do A LOT of driving. I highly reccommend!

2.5 liter engine, touch screen with bluetooth phone, Pandora, navigation, the overall look of the vehicle.

Not a huge fan of the dashboard material, but I can see it aging much more gracefully than a normal dashboard, so I know why Mazda did it.

Drives awesome; poor audio system
By jerzeydave

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car because I was looking for a balance of performance and efficiency, as well as decent cargo space. I feel Mazda has delivered for me. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old--they're both in full size car seats that fit fine. Cargo space appears sufficient after three months of use. The car is really fun to drive, and handled this bad NJ snowy winter very, very well. That said, I also love a good audio system, and this one in the CX-5 is a colossal disappointment.

Driving experience is on par with my 2008 Acura RDX, which I leased new at the time. While not as fast, it's much more efficient so the trade off is worth it to me. The car looks great. 19 inch rims are nice. Simple dash. Seats are comfortable. Great in snow.

As many have stated, the audio system is a real downer. First, the USB interface is horrible. It takes a .5 mile to begin playback, always starting over with first song (alphabet). Also, I'm not sure why Bose would associate itself with this system. Coming from a 2011 Murano SL, it could be the lack of subwoofer on CX-5. Also, while seats comfortable, they are thin. If my kid stretches or kicks seat, I feel it. Last, and this is a big one. In winter, approximately 2x per week, when I got into car at train station at night after leaving it to commute into city, there was moisture on inside of windshield. Car undriveable for almost 5 min. Never happened with Murano.

Best Car I've Owned in a Very Long Time
By kewright

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2014 GT/AWD 2.5 CX-5 in October 2013. I test drove Audi, Lexus, BMW and Infinity models of compact SUVs (with the intent to buy a luxury SUV), but this vehicle was the best bang for the buck overall. This vehicle felt comparable in handling and "fun to drive" with the Audi Q5. The size is great for (downtown) city driving (as about 90% of my driving is). I am getting great gas mileage, around 23-24 mpg city. It handles well in the snow, and feel like I have good traction when the road condition is less than perfect. I feel that it has good power to make it up the CO mountain roads. The trim level is good with just a few things needing improvement for the GT trim level.

The GT trim level is very nice. The front seats are very comfortable and hold a good seat temperature when the heated seat feature is on. I like most features of the audio system, with a few needed functionality improvements for iPod/iPhone. I love, love, love the handling of this car. I feel very in control when going over mountain passes and maneuvering through hairpin curves. This car actually made the pass fun to drive! I haven't had the issues with road noise as other reviewers had. The car is certainly not like driving a tomb, but I don't feel like it's excessively loud. It's quieter than the Jeep Compass we owned previously.

The back seats are not that comfortable. They feel like they are reclined too far back, which feels a little awkward. The passenger front seat should also be a power seat. I am curious about the lack of memory seat settings on a power seat. The heating system seemed to take a long time to provide any warmth to the cabin (about 15 minutes) on a couple of the sub-zero days we had. The defroster was also having issues keeping up any freezing moisture on the windshield. The iPhone/iPod functionality via bluetooth or plug in is a little ridiculous. It always goes to the first song in the play list. The direct plug functionality is really cumbersome and hateful to manage while driving.

3 months into owning...
By photoguy22

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

An update to the review written only a few days after buying... We've now put 2500 miles on our '14 CX5 AWD and it's performing well. Nothing failing, no problems - performing about as expected. Gas mileage not quite what we hoped but still reasonable at around 25 mpg combined. Closer to 30 on the open road but never higher average than that. Finding a few shortcoming described below, but so far a good choice in a new vehicle.

Bose upgraded stereo is quite pleasing. Not an audio enthusiast's top pick but crisp highs and punchy bass make it very nice. The Bluetooth and Pandora connection is very convenient. NAV system works as well as one could expect... Keyless entry and start are convenient - don't recall if this was a standard feature but I would make it an expectation on any new car going forward.

In spite of the larger engine now avail, the acceleration is only moderate. Using the manual shifting option helps the acceleration but it still should really be better than it is. A very minor point, but with the driver window closed, one cannot rest an arm on the edge. It's more of an ergo issue, but inconvenient as the only place to put one's arm is on the arm rest which sounds logical but there are times it would be nice to move. Finally, door controls are unlit and this is really unacceptable. Unlit buttons are a real shortcoming !

Great with a big exception
By mtzjack

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I ought a 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with the technology package. It's been a great comfortable car, but the tech package is worthless and there are lots of issues with it. Google "Mazda CX-5petition" for details. The TomTom GPS would have been great about 6-7 years ago. Including it on a 2015 vehicle should be an embarrassment to both TomTom and Mazda. The system doesn't sync properly with iTunes, always playing the first song when starting. Bluetooth has issues.

Fun to drive. Comfortable.

Listen to your customers and fix the infotainment system. This issue has apparently been going on for more than a year with no response from Mazda.