Used 2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Happy so far
By billmz66

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After much online research (on edmunds and elsewhere) I decided on the CX-5 over the RAV-4 and the CR-V. I based this on horsepower, transmission, styling and fun-to-drive factors. Leased the vehicle in January, now have over 10K miles. Mostly use it for weekend trips and daily commute. My mileage is at 28 combined which is right about the sticker est.

The styling inside and out. The AWD was great in the past winter (we had tons of snow in NJ). There is enough power and the trans is smooth. Steering and handling is precise. Very stable in turns. Pandora interface is good. Ipod interface could be better. Sound is very good, but there is no control for the center dash speaker. I really like the backup camera , given the limited visibility through the rear window. Plenty of head room and leg room, even in the rear. The 40-20-40 split seats are practical. Bluetooth sync-up with my Iphone is seamless. While the engine complains a bit up steep hills, stepping on the pedal delivers plenty of juice to climb any I've encountered.

More lighting and anti-scuff material in the cargo area would be great. Better audio controls on the steering wheel (selection of AM/FM bands can only be made on the touch screen). The steering wheel itself is a bit small, but I'm getting used to it. Would like the radio and windows to operate after shutting off the engine - I have to push the start button again (when getting gas for example) to lower the windows and/or continue a phone call. The steering may be a bit too tight - requires constant attention on the highway - slightest tick of the wheel and I'm in the other lane.

Fantastic car - made 2 of my friends buy them!
By compurip

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Favorite car I have owned so far, and my first Mazda. I purchased it in Feb of 2014, I got the AWD Sport model since I wanted a lease payment under $300 a month - can't say enough good stuff about this car. I rented one for a weekend previously to see how it was, and took it through a foot of snow in upstate NY without a slip or slide. It was comfortable and a ton of fun to drive.

Handling and steering feel. The car feels stable and predictable. Overall, it's the vehicle I've felt most comfortable in that I've owned. It just feels like an extension of you when you're driving it - not something you're likely to find in this class.

Anything I don't like about the car is minor - such as I wish it had auto up-down windows on all 4 windows, not just the driver window. Otherwise, the stereo is terrible - Bluetooth on an iOS device takes FOREVER to start up, shuffle doesn't work (except through voice command). Apparently Apple moved over to a new Bluetooth interface, and Mazda isn't compatible after 2 years. But if you're all about the stereo, get a Honda CRV. I'd rather have a car that's enjoyable to drive.

Overly Impressed!
By jgoal55

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am really, really impressed so far. I switched over from an Infiniti G37 S because I wanted a bit more room with a new baby in the house. It also saved about $90 per month on car payments. I definitely miss the pick up on the G37 but in terms of technology (ease of use and device compatibility) and comfort, the CX-5 blows the G37 away.

Few features that I miss are memory for the driver seat positions (not available) and power passenger seat (not available). But I can definitely live without those and overall the car is excellent.

It handles well, tight steering, comfortable seats, surprisingly spacious for a crossover, and great gas mileage so far.

Brake Problems/MPG decline
By gryphon84

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I loved this car but after 18 months the brake pads went bad. According to the dealer there was no reason and since the warranty on those expires at 12,000 miles or 12 months we were stuck with having to pay for all new rear brake pads and rotors. There is no reason they should have failed and Mazda Customer Service said "Too bad not under warranty". The MPG has also steadily declined after 6 months even with regular maintenance. I am disappointed since we bought it for it's supposed fuel efficiency and safety. After this experience I do not expect this to be a reliable long lived car and will not buy a Mazda in the future.

6 month review
By photoguy22

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Review of our car after 6 months of ownership.

Our 2014 CX5 GS AWD continues to be a good vehicle and everything continues to be pretty much as expected.
The gas mileage continues to be low 20's around town and high 20's on the highway.
The engine performance is still mediocre at best - Mazda really needs to work on this...

Lack of interior lighting in the rear is a real miss.

Bose Audio system is very nice!

Have had an ongoing issue with the tire pressure sensor telling us air is low when it's w/in 1 lb of standard.
Apparently it is very sensitive - too much so!

See likes/dislikes below for various features.

Over-all, still a good choice!

Bose audio is very nice. Good punchy base and crisp highs. Cruise Control is very intuitive.

Needs more power/torque. Acceleration at all speeds is weak. Roof rack bars should be standard. Needs better interior lighting - esp in rear. All door buttons need to be lit. All air vents need to be able to close - not just the side dash ones. "Auto" setting on a/c really isn't auto to the average person. It just cranks up the air flow and maxes the cold for a time. Inability to turn off the center vents results in front passengers icing up! Reducing the fan speed turns off the auto setting. Provide hooks in cargo area to hold bags, etc. Items slide around far too easily without some sort of add-on trays/netting/etc.