2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Best Car I've Owned in a Very Long Time
By kewright

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2014 GT/AWD 2.5 CX-5 in October 2013. I test drove Audi, Lexus, BMW and Infinity models of compact SUVs (with the intent to buy a luxury SUV), but this vehicle was the best bang for the buck overall. This vehicle felt comparable in handling and "fun to drive" with the Audi Q5. The size is great for (downtown) city driving (as about 90% of my driving is). I am getting great gas mileage, around 23-24 mpg city. It handles well in the snow, and feel like I have good traction when the road condition is less than perfect. I feel that it has good power to make it up the CO mountain roads. The trim level is good with just a few things needing improvement for the GT trim level.

Favorite Features

The GT trim level is very nice. The front seats are very comfortable and hold a good seat temperature when the heated seat feature is on. I like most features of the audio system, with a few needed functionality improvements for iPod/iPhone. I love, love, love the handling of this car. I feel very in control when going over mountain passes and maneuvering through hairpin curves. This car actually made the pass fun to drive! I haven't had the issues with road noise as other reviewers had. The car is certainly not like driving a tomb, but I don't feel like it's excessively loud. It's quieter than the Jeep Compass we owned previously.

Suggested Improvements

The back seats are not that comfortable. They feel like they are reclined too far back, which feels a little awkward. The passenger front seat should also be a power seat. I am curious about the lack of memory seat settings on a power seat. The heating system seemed to take a long time to provide any warmth to the cabin (about 15 minutes) on a couple of the sub-zero days we had. The defroster was also having issues keeping up any freezing moisture on the windshield. The iPhone/iPod functionality via bluetooth or plug in is a little ridiculous. It always goes to the first song in the play list. The direct plug functionality is really cumbersome and hateful to manage while driving.

3 months into owning...
By photoguy22

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

An update to the review written only a few days after buying... We've now put 2500 miles on our '14 CX5 AWD and it's performing well. Nothing failing, no problems - performing about as expected. Gas mileage not quite what we hoped but still reasonable at around 25 mpg combined. Closer to 30 on the open road but never higher average than that. Finding a few shortcoming described below, but so far a good choice in a new vehicle.

Favorite Features

Bose upgraded stereo is quite pleasing. Not an audio enthusiast's top pick but crisp highs and punchy bass make it very nice. The Bluetooth and Pandora connection is very convenient. NAV system works as well as one could expect... Keyless entry and start are convenient - don't recall if this was a standard feature but I would make it an expectation on any new car going forward.

Suggested Improvements

In spite of the larger engine now avail, the acceleration is only moderate. Using the manual shifting option helps the acceleration but it still should really be better than it is. A very minor point, but with the driver window closed, one cannot rest an arm on the edge. It's more of an ergo issue, but inconvenient as the only place to put one's arm is on the arm rest which sounds logical but there are times it would be nice to move. Finally, door controls are unlit and this is really unacceptable. Unlit buttons are a real shortcoming !

Great with a big exception
By mtzjack

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I ought a 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with the technology package. It's been a great comfortable car, but the tech package is worthless and there are lots of issues with it. Google "Mazda CX-5petition" for details. The TomTom GPS would have been great about 6-7 years ago. Including it on a 2015 vehicle should be an embarrassment to both TomTom and Mazda. The system doesn't sync properly with iTunes, always playing the first song when starting. Bluetooth has issues.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Listen to your customers and fix the infotainment system. This issue has apparently been going on for more than a year with no response from Mazda.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
By cbrianflynn

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After test driving all of the competitors (Ford, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, Hyundai), I settled on a 2014 CX-5 Touring to replace a 2001 VW Jetta Wagon. I was tempted by the Sport model, but the larger engine in the Touring and GT is much peppier for passing. I've had the vehicle now for about 3 months and do not regret my decision. The performance is more than adequate, handling is pretty good and gas mileage has been better than my VW and more than acceptable. I drive long distances a couple of times a week and have enjoyed the cruise control. Overall, it's a solid and fun care to drive, with plenty of room for hauling kids, gear, etc. Perfect for a small family.

Favorite Features

I love the drive train. The engine loves to rev and the transmission is the smoothest shifting transmission I have ever driven. Handling is very good (though a bit heavy). The seats are very comfortable (took a trip of over 600 miles shortly after getting it and spent almost 12 hours in the seat one day with nary a problem). Cargo capacity is more than adequate. It is a fun car to drive! It's hard not to keep your foot out of the accelerator just to hear the engine rev! Love the cruise control, functionality, cargo space, and towing capacity (I added a trailer hitch for bikes and small trailer).

Suggested Improvements

There is no arm rest for the driver and the door rest is too far away from the steering wheel for me to get a good rest position. On long drives this is a pain. The storage pocket on the doors is not very useful; made for one water bottle and doesn't do a good job at that; could use more storage space for small items. Would like them to decouple some of the extras. I wanted the premium sound system, but not the moonroof - Can't do that. The base sound system is okay, but not outstanding. Would also like the adaptive headlights, but can't get them without the electronics package. Would like a tie down hook on the front for securing items on the roof rack (like a canoe).

Coming from a Rav4, a step down
By jayne10

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I live on a gravel road in the land of snow. The car managed just fine this winter with our snow, ice and slop. I did not have any trouble getting up the hill to the house. I get less mileage than others, as you would expect, given our driving conditions. Driving along this winter and a piece of the interior plastic below the dash just fell off. Why? I don't know. It is now lying on the counter in my kitchen waiting to be dealt with. I don't really think that I would buy another one. Lacking power.

Favorite Features

I like the red color of this car. The exterior styling is nice. The controls on the steering wheel are good.

Suggested Improvements

What color interior is available? Black. I just plainly loathe the black interior on this car. It looks hideous, with all of the winter crud and salt tracked in and few opportunities to get it cleaned out properly. I bought seat covers that are gray, which helps a bit, but not much. The backseat fold down is poorly designed. We are long legged and must take the headrests off the back to fold down the back seats. So? Then what do you do with them? Leave them lying about in the house? A serious negative. Also, I am missing the trunk from under the cargo area, that was in my Rav4.