2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
Great car, Great value 2.5 GT AWD
By zoom_dan_zoom on 02/26/14 12:21 PM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I did my research for a new SUV/CUV purchase, compared all the manufactures out there. Price was important, but so was power and features of the cars. My choice was clear after I test drove the CX-5, had the power I needed for every day traffic, comfort, handling (This thing handles like its on rails) and the tech included. Bose sound is fabulous, I wouldn’t go without if considering this car. Gas mileage was best in class for an AWD CUV with the HP offered. Sure, the 260 HP Turbo offerings from other manufactures sure sounded nice, but the MPG suffered drastically and so did the sticker price. In my opinion, you can’t get a better car in this class for the price,not with all the CX-5 offers

Great little SUV - gets lots of compliments!
By compurip on 02/12/14 06:58 AM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I had a CX-5 as a loaner vehicle a few months back and was really impressed by it. Had to drive upstate to visit family and snow was predicted, so I wanted an AWD vehicle and it really impressed. When I decided to buy, I test drove the Sport with the 2.0 liter and was more than pleased with the power. I ended up leasing a 2014.5 Dark blue with Sand cloth interior with bluetooth. The mica finish is beautiful and the contrasting cloth interior is really unique.

Overall good choice
By badlands17 on 01/31/14 17:01 PM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Traded in a '11 Ford Escape Limited AWD for the '14 Mazda CX-5 GT in Sep, 2013 so this is after 4 mo of use. Overall, a good vehicle. Pickup is good, comparable to the V6in the Escape. Mileage is better, though not as good as some on here indicate. In town averaging 23-24 mpg. However, in winter cold, mileage has dropped to 20-21 mpg. Use of remote start in bitter cold for 10 minutes, mileage drops to 18-19. Sound system is good, but not as good as the system in the '11 Escape. Some on here have complained about the Bluetooth connection. I have been using Pandora and the system works fine. Unlike satellite radio (ie Sirius), Pandora is coming through your cellphone first, then to the onboard

So far, beyond expectations!
By photoguy22 on 12/19/13 11:16 AM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this very recently and thus far, we're very happy. We'll update this review after a few months with new findings and experience... Contrary to a few reports, there is little road noise, the Bose system works great, Nav is just fine and the seats are very comfortable. This is NOT a European luxury vehicle - at the CX5 price point, just add another $25K if you're determined to have true luxury. Otherwise, after seeing virtually every other C-SUV, this Mazda competes quite well with all of it's competitors and in general, it does it for less! Well worth looking at !!!

MY CX-5 - NEARLY PERFECT
By sonowop on 12/18/13 22:02 PM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Have driven my Grand Touring 2014 for 5,000 miles now. The good: handles wonderful, brakes are great, visibility excellent, comfort very good. No complaints on build quality, style, or driveability. It's not perfect but was the best choice for me relative to its competition. Major surprise is the driveability of car. I did not really expect it. 2.5 is a little beast (that's good). Major disappointment is the radio, gps, and gas mileage.

After 6 months, traded it for a Subaru
By akchris on 12/17/13 14:17 PM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After falling in love with the CX5 and really enjoying it, some warts really started to show. My commute changed from 55mi a day, 70% hwy to 40mi mostly city and my MPG really crashed. Was getting 30+ mpg per tank, after moving I never saw 20 mpg again. Then there's the wear on the interior - the seats in my 2004 Honda with 170k looked better than the CX5's after less than 6 months. The drivers seat looked beat after 8k miles and stray threads were popping up in the pass seat. The carpet in the rear hatch was trashed after I moved bags and boxes, I hauled tons of stuff in my Honda and it looked better, can't imagine how bad the CX5 will look in 5 years, brutal. Got a great Subaru trade.

Good - not great
By dougal1098 on 12/15/13 07:52 AM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have been driving my 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring for a couple of days now. I got the base Grand Touring model with a remote start and a trailer hitch. The car itself is nice with good handling and styling. The car just looks nice. The 19" wheels are a distinctive feature that really makes the car unique. The handling of the car is nice but not dramatically different than other cars in its class. And really, why buy this car of this class for handling anyway?

A wonderful small SUV
By gc666 on 12/14/13 23:33 PM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

originally looking at CX9. Dealer said best hoped for mileage would be 22-24. Needed better. Bought this 2014 as a certified preowned, 6 mos old, 11000 miles. it is the Grand Touring with 2.5 engine. plenty of power, smooth running, smooth shifting, and best of all great mileage. I was used to a tdi Jetta getting 49 mph. Mazda estimates this engine at 30 combined and 35 highway. that is exactly what I am getting; and actually closer to 36. I couldn't be happier. Interior room much larger than I had expected. I can carry 4 golf bags and their owners with comfort.

2014 CX-5 Grand Touring, the best ever!
By dps782 on 12/12/13 08:50 AM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased it loaded with everything possible on the 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring. Its gas mileage surpasses expectation at 28.6 city using cruise control when possible. The 2.5 engine is peppy and responds fast, nothing sluggish about this vehicle whatsoever. Thankfully the rear camera doesn’t beep at you when in reverse up like a Prius, and inside beep would is so useless. (As if you don’t know you are backing up?) The heated seats are nice on cold mornings and warm quickly. The 9-speaker Bose stereo system is symphony quality and quiets any minimal road noise. The navigation (TomTom) is touchy but adequate. I would prefer to see a Garmin navigation system in the CX-5 but that is a personal pref

Fun, But Missing Something
By tlxxtl on 11/28/13 07:30 AM (PST)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Ok, I read all of the reviews on all of the RAV4, CRV, Rogue and Escape and I purchased a CX-5 Why? MY wife liked it best, I loved the Escape but it had to much stuff! 15000 commands and I could not program a command, Hmmm. Rav4 just felt old and did the CRV. The Rogue simply was the victim of its own delays and timing, Nissan kept delaying shipments to sell off remaining 2013's so We could not drive and compare a 2014 to the CX-5. Back to the CX-5, 2014 GT runs like it was stolen with the peppy 2.5L and CVT, inside the reviewers got it mostly correct. The NAV is the best once you get past its slow speed. P.S. Forester Boring yet capable if you stay awake.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Mazda CX-5 Suv in VA is:

$159 per month*