2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
Overly Impressed!
By jgoal55 on 07/08/14 17:56 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am really, really impressed so far. I switched over from an Infiniti G37 S because I wanted a bit more room with a new baby in the house. It also saved about $90 per month on car payments. I definitely miss the pick up on the G37 but in terms of technology (ease of use and device compatibility) and comfort, the CX-5 blows the G37 away. Few features that I miss are memory for the driver seat positions (not available) and power passenger seat (not available). But I can definitely live without those and overall the car is excellent. It handles well, tight steering, comfortable seats, surprisingly spacious for a crossover, and great gas mileage so far.

Brake Problems/MPG decline
By gryphon84 on 06/24/14 12:32 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I loved this car but after 18 months the brake pads went bad. According to the dealer there was no reason and since the warranty on those expires at 12,000 miles or 12 months we were stuck with having to pay for all new rear brake pads and rotors. There is no reason they should have failed and Mazda Customer Service said "Too bad not under warranty". The MPG has also steadily declined after 6 months even with regular maintenance. I am disappointed since we bought it for it's supposed fuel efficiency and safety. After this experience I do not expect this to be a reliable long lived car and will not buy a Mazda in the future.

6 month review
By photoguy22 on 06/19/14 07:33 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Review of our car after 6 months of ownership. Our 2014 CX5 GS AWD continues to be a good vehicle and everything continues to be pretty much as expected. The gas mileage continues to be low 20's around town and high 20's on the highway. The engine performance is still mediocre at best - Mazda really needs to work on this... Lack of interior lighting in the rear is a real miss. Bose Audio system is very nice! Have had an ongoing issue with the tire pressure sensor telling us air is low when it's w/in 1 lb of standard. Apparently it is very sensitive - too much so! See likes/dislikes below for various features. Over-all, still a good choice!

Are you kidding me with this lock system?
By lkasko on 06/16/14 16:55 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had my CX-5 for 5 days. Love the drive, love the styling, love the gas mileage. Hate, hate, hate the locking system. Are you kidding me with this maybe the lift gate will lock and maybe it won't. How would you know. You have to walk away and when you come back with your key it is always open. What the heck is the purpose of the black button anyway. Are we supposed to depend that this locking sensor is going to work indefinitely. How do we know when it stops working. Not light, no beep not indicator, no nothing. Worse design I have ever seen. I am 66. I have owned a lot of cars. I would not have purchased this one had I known. Will try to get a lock installed

Excellent Car
By kannon8833 on 04/26/14 21:51 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Have own our 2014 AWD GT for 3000 miles. Very happy with the car. Wanted to write a review cause it was the many reviews on Edmunds that eventually helped me select the CX-5 over the Forester. CX-5 (in my opinion) just handles better. Tracks real well, very stable. Soaks up more bumps and noise better than the Forester. Brakes well, handled very well in snow and rain. Forester - can't beat the wonderful and huge sunroof, visibility MUCH better - CX-5 needs more attention. Better heated seats on the Forester. Bottom line - Mazda offered better trade, finance, car better handling. Couldn't pass up - just more bang for the buck.

initial report on new 2014 CX-5
By tamoshanter55 on 04/16/14 05:49 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

ok...i'll have to admit that i'm already a little biased with brand loyalty - have had a 1990 protege with 270k before selling it, and still have 2000 626 with 307k going strong. replaced my 2008 nissan rogue after it's engine blew out and came back to mazda. bought it last week. so far, 600 miles, very satisfied. seats a little snug for me (am 5'11" and 260), but stil comfortable. adjusting to tom-tom after having garmin for 5 years - slower than my garmin; BOSE sound is very good - i like the ipod connection and pandora. acceleration a bit sensitive - downshifts quickly, but 10x better than rogue's CVT. quiet and smooth. will give update later

Mixed Feelings
By kenshin on 04/14/14 18:10 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased : December 2013 Build quality may be an issue... Week 2 : the passenger seat trim vibrating noise, probably due to contact when exiting vehicle. Fixed by dealer. Week 3 : front windows vibrating noise when opened slightly. Not bothersome enough to take to dealer, but disappointing nonetheless. Week 4 : right sun visor vibration noise, goes away if opened then reclosed. Week 6 : upper right corner of center console screen intermittent rubbing noise. Since the beginning, there's also been a ceiling vibration noise if only the rear windows are open. Apparently, this kind of wind harmonics problem is common for many cars. Again, more disappointment.

Acceleration Issue
By jam2825 on 04/13/14 06:26 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2014 CX5 in early 2013. It has 25,000 miles at this time, mostly highway miles. In the last 6 months there have been times when accelerating to pass, the car accelerates to extreme after I have let off the accelerator, and the tachometer flies up as if the accelerator is sticking. The accelerator also flies up while breaking. It is becoming more and more frequent. After reading another review on the same subject, I felt it necessary to confirm the issue. I am very disappointed, as this vehicle was not cheap.

Best car I've ever had
By dlobrien1980 on 04/08/14 03:53 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring back in May of 2013. I used to be a Dodge guy all the way, but my best friend, who runs a Mazda dealership, introduced me to this ride. I am a heavy commuter, 100 miles a day, and have already put 20,000 miles on it. I have not had one single problem and have had great gas mileage. It is a fun to drive car and a safe ride for me, my wife, and our 14 month old son. Decent cargo room, and the 2014 has that 2.5 liter engine, giving it a boost over the 2.0 from 2013. I'm looking forward to Mazda's reliability to get me through years of commuting, because I do A LOT of driving. I highly reccommend!

Drives awesome; poor audio system
By jerzeydave on 04/07/14 20:10 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car because I was looking for a balance of performance and efficiency, as well as decent cargo space. I feel Mazda has delivered for me. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old--they're both in full size car seats that fit fine. Cargo space appears sufficient after three months of use. The car is really fun to drive, and handled this bad NJ snowy winter very, very well. That said, I also love a good audio system, and this one in the CX-5 is a colossal disappointment.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Mazda CX-5 Suv in VA is:

$150 per month*