2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda Cx-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

CX-5 Best SUV in it's Class
By Mark Moran

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Wife bought the 1st gen CX-5 GT AWD. I loved to drive it except it was slightly underpowered. When Mazda introduced the 2.5L 184 HP engine, I went and bought my own Touring AWD. Love this car. Agile and fast for it's class. Can take a turn like a sports car. Excellent gas mileage for a vehicle it's size. I've never gotten under 25MPG. Cargo room is plentiful. I've taken on some rough forest roads and the car performs like a rally car. BOSE stereo is excellent. The only negative I would give to the CX-5 is road noise. It's not 'bad' but seems like it could be quieter. I understand 2016 model has improved this. Installed my own factory Nav unit for $400.00. Took 10 minutes.

Favorite Features

Engine performance, handling, BOSE stereo, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Road noise

Excellent mechanically, terrible electronics.
By kardell

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After six months and 6000 miles we still really like the vehicle. The AWD handles mountain roads and snow storms superbly. The manual control, of the auto transmission, is the best I have used, - smooth, no jerks, which is necessary for downshifting on icy, steep roads. The electronics, navigation and Bluetooth, are, at best, antiquated and inadequate. The HVAC works, but, when the cabin is hot, you must manually turn up the fan control to max. The Cruise switches are dangerous with Cancel and Resume being next to each other, and the Resume the easiest to hit. Mileage is as represented.

Favorite Features

It drives superbly. Although I agree with all the others, who criticized the electronics, the drivability makes it worth the hassle. I test drove the small Volvo, a CRV, and have been a Toyota customer, for years. I gave up a Lexus RX300 for the CX5, and this feels better, and costs a lot less than all the others.

Suggested Improvements

Much better electronics, all windows automatic, and memory seats and mirrors.

Very disappointed
By kimberlyr1

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my car in Oct 2013, and it was ok for about 5 months. I switched from a Toyota Highlander (which I absolutely LOVED) to save on gas. While I realized gas savings over the Highlander, I am not getting the gas mileage they promised. I average 26 mpg tops! On top of that, my vehicle had to be at the service center on 3 occasions, all for the same problem. My push button start would not work correctly. They still haven't fully fixed the problem. The other problems are road noise and no interior storage, and not enough cup holders, which made for a very long trip with my kids. All in all, while it has saved some $ on gas, I don't think I would not buy another Mazda again.

Favorite Features

I do love the sunroof and the heated seats in the winter. The integrated back up camera is definitely a bonus, which I use all the time, and didn't think I would like.

Suggested Improvements

More interior storage. More cup holders. Insulation against road noise and somehow fix the sunroof so that when it is opened, it is quieter. I have had sunroofs in the past, but in this one, you really have to raise your voice just to talk. All windows have to be closed to talk to someone on bluetooth.

Happy so far
By billmz66

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After much online research (on edmunds and elsewhere) I decided on the CX-5 over the RAV-4 and the CR-V. I based this on horsepower, transmission, styling and fun-to-drive factors. Leased the vehicle in January, now have over 10K miles. Mostly use it for weekend trips and daily commute. My mileage is at 28 combined which is right about the sticker est.

Favorite Features

The styling inside and out. The AWD was great in the past winter (we had tons of snow in NJ). There is enough power and the trans is smooth. Steering and handling is precise. Very stable in turns. Pandora interface is good. Ipod interface could be better. Sound is very good, but there is no control for the center dash speaker. I really like the backup camera , given the limited visibility through the rear window. Plenty of head room and leg room, even in the rear. The 40-20-40 split seats are practical. Bluetooth sync-up with my Iphone is seamless. While the engine complains a bit up steep hills, stepping on the pedal delivers plenty of juice to climb any I've encountered.

Suggested Improvements

More lighting and anti-scuff material in the cargo area would be great. Better audio controls on the steering wheel (selection of AM/FM bands can only be made on the touch screen). The steering wheel itself is a bit small, but I'm getting used to it. Would like the radio and windows to operate after shutting off the engine - I have to push the start button again (when getting gas for example) to lower the windows and/or continue a phone call. The steering may be a bit too tight - requires constant attention on the highway - slightest tick of the wheel and I'm in the other lane.

Fantastic car - made 2 of my friends buy them!
By compurip

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Favorite car I have owned so far, and my first Mazda. I purchased it in Feb of 2014, I got the AWD Sport model since I wanted a lease payment under $300 a month - can't say enough good stuff about this car. I rented one for a weekend previously to see how it was, and took it through a foot of snow in upstate NY without a slip or slide. It was comfortable and a ton of fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Handling and steering feel. The car feels stable and predictable. Overall, it's the vehicle I've felt most comfortable in that I've owned. It just feels like an extension of you when you're driving it - not something you're likely to find in this class.

Suggested Improvements

Anything I don't like about the car is minor - such as I wish it had auto up-down windows on all 4 windows, not just the driver window. Otherwise, the stereo is terrible - Bluetooth on an iOS device takes FOREVER to start up, shuffle doesn't work (except through voice command). Apparently Apple moved over to a new Bluetooth interface, and Mazda isn't compatible after 2 years. But if you're all about the stereo, get a Honda CRV. I'd rather have a car that's enjoyable to drive.