2014 Mazda CX-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
Excellent mechanically, terrible electronics.
By kardell on 10/29/14 22:03 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After six months and 6000 miles we still really like the vehicle. The AWD handles mountain roads and snow storms superbly. The manual control, of the auto transmission, is the best I have used, - smooth, no jerks, which is necessary for downshifting on icy, steep roads. The electronics, navigation and Bluetooth, are, at best, antiquated and inadequate. The HVAC works, but, when the cabin is hot, you must manually turn up the fan control to max. The Cruise switches are dangerous with Cancel and Resume being next to each other, and the Resume the easiest to hit. Mileage is as represented.

Very disappointed
By kimberlyr1 on 10/25/14 18:21 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my car in Oct 2013, and it was ok for about 5 months. I switched from a Toyota Highlander (which I absolutely LOVED) to save on gas. While I realized gas savings over the Highlander, I am not getting the gas mileage they promised. I average 26 mpg tops! On top of that, my vehicle had to be at the service center on 3 occasions, all for the same problem. My push button start would not work correctly. They still haven't fully fixed the problem. The other problems are road noise and no interior storage, and not enough cup holders, which made for a very long trip with my kids. All in all, while it has saved some $ on gas, I don't think I would not buy another Mazda again.

Happy so far
By billmz66 on 10/22/14 08:07 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After much online research (on edmunds and elsewhere) I decided on the CX-5 over the RAV-4 and the CR-V. I based this on horsepower, transmission, styling and fun-to-drive factors. Leased the vehicle in January, now have over 10K miles. Mostly use it for weekend trips and daily commute. My mileage is at 28 combined which is right about the sticker est.

Fantastic car - made 2 of my friends buy them!
By compurip on 10/21/14 15:47 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Favorite car I have owned so far, and my first Mazda. I purchased it in Feb of 2014, I got the AWD Sport model since I wanted a lease payment under $300 a month - can't say enough good stuff about this car. I rented one for a weekend previously to see how it was, and took it through a foot of snow in upstate NY without a slip or slide. It was comfortable and a ton of fun to drive.

Overly Impressed!
By jgoal55 on 07/08/14 17:56 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am really, really impressed so far. I switched over from an Infiniti G37 S because I wanted a bit more room with a new baby in the house. It also saved about $90 per month on car payments. I definitely miss the pick up on the G37 but in terms of technology (ease of use and device compatibility) and comfort, the CX-5 blows the G37 away. Few features that I miss are memory for the driver seat positions (not available) and power passenger seat (not available). But I can definitely live without those and overall the car is excellent. It handles well, tight steering, comfortable seats, surprisingly spacious for a crossover, and great gas mileage so far.

Brake Problems/MPG decline
By gryphon84 on 06/24/14 12:32 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I loved this car but after 18 months the brake pads went bad. According to the dealer there was no reason and since the warranty on those expires at 12,000 miles or 12 months we were stuck with having to pay for all new rear brake pads and rotors. There is no reason they should have failed and Mazda Customer Service said "Too bad not under warranty". The MPG has also steadily declined after 6 months even with regular maintenance. I am disappointed since we bought it for it's supposed fuel efficiency and safety. After this experience I do not expect this to be a reliable long lived car and will not buy a Mazda in the future.

6 month review
By photoguy22 on 06/19/14 07:33 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Review of our car after 6 months of ownership. Our 2014 CX5 GS AWD continues to be a good vehicle and everything continues to be pretty much as expected. The gas mileage continues to be low 20's around town and high 20's on the highway. The engine performance is still mediocre at best - Mazda really needs to work on this... Lack of interior lighting in the rear is a real miss. Bose Audio system is very nice! Have had an ongoing issue with the tire pressure sensor telling us air is low when it's w/in 1 lb of standard. Apparently it is very sensitive - too much so! See likes/dislikes below for various features. Over-all, still a good choice!

Are you kidding me with this lock system?
By lkasko on 06/16/14 16:55 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had my CX-5 for 5 days. Love the drive, love the styling, love the gas mileage. Hate, hate, hate the locking system. Are you kidding me with this maybe the lift gate will lock and maybe it won't. How would you know. You have to walk away and when you come back with your key it is always open. What the heck is the purpose of the black button anyway. Are we supposed to depend that this locking sensor is going to work indefinitely. How do we know when it stops working. Not light, no beep not indicator, no nothing. Worse design I have ever seen. I am 66. I have owned a lot of cars. I would not have purchased this one had I known. Will try to get a lock installed

Excellent Car
By kannon8833 on 04/26/14 21:51 PM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Have own our 2014 AWD GT for 3000 miles. Very happy with the car. Wanted to write a review cause it was the many reviews on Edmunds that eventually helped me select the CX-5 over the Forester. CX-5 (in my opinion) just handles better. Tracks real well, very stable. Soaks up more bumps and noise better than the Forester. Brakes well, handled very well in snow and rain. Forester - can't beat the wonderful and huge sunroof, visibility MUCH better - CX-5 needs more attention. Better heated seats on the Forester. Bottom line - Mazda offered better trade, finance, car better handling. Couldn't pass up - just more bang for the buck.

initial report on new 2014 CX-5
By tamoshanter55 on 04/16/14 05:49 AM (PDT)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

ok...i'll have to admit that i'm already a little biased with brand loyalty - have had a 1990 protege with 270k before selling it, and still have 2000 626 with 307k going strong. replaced my 2008 nissan rogue after it's engine blew out and came back to mazda. bought it last week. so far, 600 miles, very satisfied. seats a little snug for me (am 5'11" and 260), but stil comfortable. adjusting to tom-tom after having garmin for 5 years - slower than my garmin; BOSE sound is very good - i like the ipod connection and pandora. acceleration a bit sensitive - downshifts quickly, but 10x better than rogue's CVT. quiet and smooth. will give update later

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Mazda CX-5 in VA is:

$159 per month*