2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Awesome little buggy
By Dani

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We've owned the vehicle a year now and it has 10K miles on it. So far not one single problem or glitch. We switched from a 2012 CRV. This car easily out-handles the CRV, has a better feel to the road and is better in the snow. (Tire issue on CRV). The tall rims and smaller side walls make cornering and driving a blast but at the cost of slightly more road noise. No big deal!!! Brakes are awesome! My wife does lots of local driving so we see about 25mpg. The cargo area is pretty good but slightly smaller than the CRV. The leather fabric is really hardy in this vehicle and it has little cooling holes for venting. I have to knock the front seats slightly. I do not find them as comfortable as the CRV which was incredible!! These are a quite a bit harder. Rear seat leg room/height is decent. The vehicle has a handy cigar lighter port in the cargo area. The USB port in the center console puts out 1amp which is not enough to charge today's phones. We bought a 2.1amp cigar lighter charger... The side mirrors have an LED blind spot warning which works great!! The backup camera works very well but the CRV had more camera angles and views. The stereo is just okay... Does the job. We are very pleased with the CX5 and would buy another without question.

Bad Brakes!
By pat_the_rat

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My front rotors began to shimmy badly on braking at around 22k miles. I was told the rotors were "visibly warped". What? You're kidding right? I replaced the rotors (pads were like new) and about 10k later it did the same thing. This time i had the original rotors turned and bought new pads as well. still ok at 3k later, but i checked a squeaking sound in my rear brakes and found they were completely worn down and scoring the rotors. Now I have to replace the rear rotors and pads too. This is absolutely unacceptable! I've NEVER had a car go through brakes and rotors like this and I've owned cars for 35 years. No more Mazdas for me!

My favorite feature is how fast the brakes go. Next to that I like the rear camera. Makes it easy to park, the AWD, and decent gas mileage for a car this size.

Redesign and/or fix the brake system. I hate that the hands free phone system always tells you all 6 "available options" when all you want to do is call someone. "Available options are: Call, Call Back, Dial,..."

CX-5 Best SUV in it's Class
By Mark Moran

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Wife bought the 1st gen CX-5 GT AWD. I loved to drive it except it was slightly underpowered. When Mazda introduced the 2.5L 184 HP engine, I went and bought my own Touring AWD. Love this car. Agile and fast for it's class. Can take a turn like a sports car. Excellent gas mileage for a vehicle it's size. I've never gotten under 25MPG. Cargo room is plentiful. I've taken on some rough forest roads and the car performs like a rally car. BOSE stereo is excellent. The only negative I would give to the CX-5 is road noise. It's not 'bad' but seems like it could be quieter. I understand 2016 model has improved this. Installed my own factory Nav unit for $400.00. Took 10 minutes.

Engine performance, handling, BOSE stereo, comfort

Road noise

Excellent mechanically, terrible electronics.
By kardell

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After six months and 6000 miles we still really like the vehicle. The AWD handles mountain roads and snow storms superbly. The manual control, of the auto transmission, is the best I have used, - smooth, no jerks, which is necessary for downshifting on icy, steep roads. The electronics, navigation and Bluetooth, are, at best, antiquated and inadequate. The HVAC works, but, when the cabin is hot, you must manually turn up the fan control to max. The Cruise switches are dangerous with Cancel and Resume being next to each other, and the Resume the easiest to hit. Mileage is as represented.

It drives superbly. Although I agree with all the others, who criticized the electronics, the drivability makes it worth the hassle. I test drove the small Volvo, a CRV, and have been a Toyota customer, for years. I gave up a Lexus RX300 for the CX5, and this feels better, and costs a lot less than all the others.

Much better electronics, all windows automatic, and memory seats and mirrors.

Very disappointed
By kimberlyr1

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my car in Oct 2013, and it was ok for about 5 months. I switched from a Toyota Highlander (which I absolutely LOVED) to save on gas. While I realized gas savings over the Highlander, I am not getting the gas mileage they promised. I average 26 mpg tops! On top of that, my vehicle had to be at the service center on 3 occasions, all for the same problem. My push button start would not work correctly. They still haven't fully fixed the problem. The other problems are road noise and no interior storage, and not enough cup holders, which made for a very long trip with my kids. All in all, while it has saved some $ on gas, I don't think I would not buy another Mazda again.

I do love the sunroof and the heated seats in the winter. The integrated back up camera is definitely a bonus, which I use all the time, and didn't think I would like.

More interior storage. More cup holders. Insulation against road noise and somehow fix the sunroof so that when it is opened, it is quieter. I have had sunroofs in the past, but in this one, you really have to raise your voice just to talk. All windows have to be closed to talk to someone on bluetooth.