Zoom x 2
By carolinapirate on
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)
Just purchased a CX-5 touring a week ago and love it! I have been thinking about trading my '03 Ford Explorer for over a year, but could not decide which vehicle would be functional and get good gas mileage. I really wanted to wait for the 2013 Ford Escape and buy American again. After test-driving the Escape, I liked the way it handled and it had a little more power than the Mazda, but it had 2 recalls within 2 weeks shortly after launching, so I decided to buy the Mazda. I have been very happy, so far. Averaging 28 mpg with combined city/hwy driving (and playing around with the manual shift mode). There is some tire noise, but not too bad. Heard it before, but Mazdas are fun to drive!
Favorite Features
The Sport model comes with a lot of features, but I upgraded to the Touring because of the blind-spot monitors/warning system & the back-up camera with a screen you can actually see (unlike GM). Tilt/telescopic, leather-wrapped steering is nice. I like the rear seat latch in the back storage area, so you don't have to walk to the back door to let the back seats down. Push-button start is kinda cool, but not much easier than using a key. Price is comparable to many sedans with similar mpg, but the CX-5 is WAY COOLER!
Suggested Improvements
Needs A/C vents in the back seat area. I don't like the fold-down cup-holders in the middle of the back seat. I think they would be "less-messy" down by the floor behind the console, especially if you have kids! There are cup/bottle holders in the door. I have demanded that my kids use these because I have light-colored seats that I don't want drinks spilled on. The last thing is kind-of an OCD thing that probably won't bother anyone but me... one windshield wiper is kinda straight and the other is longer and very crooked. They could've moved the crooked one over more to the side and made it straight, too. It just looks funny, but I'll get used to it.
By carolinapirate
on 08/27/12 17:25 PM (PDT)

Update: After 1500 miles, I am getting 30.5 mpg in rural/small city driving. Still love my CX-5 and think it is a great value.