Towing with CX5 Touring Model (with 5000 miles)
By kokenfarm on
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)
I tow a Waverunner (1500lbs) with my CX5 and it does fine. Went from TN to WI round trip and got 24 miles per gal.while pulling. The SUV does fine pulling the Waverunner in and out of the water. With tow wiring installed the BSM does not work which is to bad. The tow wiring kit has been installed correctly. The Reese type 3 trailer hitch does not rattle while driving. The first hitch installed rattle terribly at 2300 RPMs. Initially my highway gas mileage was lower than expected when not towing (was around 30 mpg), but that is improving as I add mileage; currently getting 33 mpg. The CX5 has plenty of umph you just have to put your foot into it, especially when towing.
Favorite Features
I like the backup camera, the Blind Side Monitoring (BSM), and the Bluetooth. The Bluetooth picks up which ever cell phone rings if you have programmed more than one. There is also plenty of leg room in the rear seat area and plenty of cargo space with the back seats up or down.
Suggested Improvements
The cloth sand interior needs to have a heavy duty dirt and stain protection applied at the factory. Mazda needs to fix the BSM so it works when towing a trailer. Front leg room for a very tall person needs to be addressed for someone over 6 feet Although the sound is tolerable, additional sound proofing would quiet the cab and make it a nicer ride.
By frenchtoolman
on 12/05/14 11:29 AM (PST)

Hi, I also have a Waverunner to pull and to drop in the water on a gravel slope, I am looking forward on your experience with your cx5 because I am thinking of buying one to pull the waverunner. Is your's AWD, is there enough power to pull it out of the water or does it spin. I was thinking of geeting the 2,5 L with the AWD is it an overkill or the 2,0 L AWD can do the job easely, I like your gaz mileage, do you have a heavy foot, enjoy your ride my friend.