Only One Zoom
By lennye on
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)
Though advertised as zoom-zoom, due to its weight is about 600 pounds heavier than my previous 2007 Mazda 3 sedan, I was only able to "zoom" but well aware of its speed is slower than the other 2 CUVs that I've looked at, Outback and CR-V. The CR-V has the softest ride but subjectively I cannot deal w/ it on a daily basis. However, the interior design and features are the best. The Outback appears to be lower and I like the backup camera view located on the rear-view mirror, but I do not need AWD or its mileage penalty. The CX-5 is a good compromise and it's my 4th Mazda. Other than slow, I like the weighted and leather-wrapped steering wheel. Love the price too w/ all the features.
Favorite Features
Blind-spot side-view mirrors are great; mp3 player radio (standard); phenomenal real world gas mileage (same as my lighter Mazda 3) - the best selling point; HD radio package w/ USB-iPad interface; nice seats. After 800 miles, I'm close to an average of 30 mpg w/ a/c on most of the time here in the Northeast, a combination of highway and local driving. This CUV has more luggage room than my 2001 X5, and is about as noisy or quiet, depending on viewpoint. Can't tell how the traction is during the summer months.
Suggested Improvements
Need a few more ponies; window insulation (highway wind noise); same door cup-holders as my Mazda 3; larger glove box; same TPMS as the Mazda 3 (ABS data based is suspect); add back engine temperature gauge; bring back the red dashboard light for night driving; location of the rear-view camera screen; push button engine start (left the engine running during lunch time for an hour w/o knowing it, but still give me an impressive 30 mpg for the whole trip); more sky blue models w/o loaded w/ all kind of options (their hottest color seller)