Excellent vehicle: fun, lots of features, economical
By cx5andmx5 on
2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)
I purchased it 3-days ago and have 300-miles on it so far. I am very impressed with the CX-5 at this point. Mixed driving gave me 29-mpg (as calculated by me, not the computer) on the first fill. The mid-range torque of the engine is really impressive. It holds most grades in 6th gear. Acceleration is perfectly adequate at sea-level (Texas). Those at 5000-feet or with lots of steep hills might not be as satisfied. The steering feel, rigid chassis, great handling, feature content, interior materials and space, and interesting technology are the selling points. The great fuel economy is merely a bonus.
Favorite Features
Where else are you going to find a vehicle with all the techno features (BSM, Xenon that swivel, a good Nav, auto-headlights, auto-wipers, Bluetooth, dual climate control, leather, etc.) that feels so good to drive (excellent steering weight and feel, very solid chassis, comfortable ride), gets 30+mpg, and costs less than $30K? And it looks nice too. I also own a 2010 MX-5 Miata. I can feel the MX-5 influence in the CX-5 (it really handles incredibly well for a CUV). The Skyactiv-g engine and the multi-plate clutch automatic are wonderfully interesting bits of engineering (and they seem to perform well too).
Suggested Improvements
I really think Mazda has nailed the CX-5. As I've said, I think the vehicle is really amazing considering what you get for your $25K-30K. My MX-5 is a manual and I would very much like to see Mazda offer the manual transmission in all trims of the CX-5. We buy Mazdas because we love to drive (and can't justify/afford a Porsche)...manual GTs would sell just fine. That being said, the multi-plate clutch enhanced auto is a real positive step here. I really enjoy it. Maybe some air vents in the headliner or B-pillar for second-row occupants?
By cx5andmx5
on 04/05/12 19:44 PM (PDT)

Just a follow-up now that I'm at 1300-miles or so. My low for mileage has been 27.5 and my high has been 31.5-mpg. All tanks have been mixed driving, but the 31.5 was probably 60% highway. Overall I'm still quite impressed with the CX-5 and I look forward to driving it each day. The only issue to note thus far is the leather, which seems to have a couple of high-stress points on the front seats owing to the design of the joint between the side bolsters and the perforated sections in the center seat-back. One of which has torn slightly (a single stitch) but I have contacted the dealer about it and intend to get it resolved at the first oil change.

By jenley
on 07/03/12 09:58 AM (PDT)

How often are you filling up your tank? I'm loving your MPG numbers, but I'm worried about the 14.8 gallon tank.