Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

My Best Mazda yet !
By stevenewjersey

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

People consider me fussy in the cars I buy or lease. Since my wife drives a 2010 Mazda Tribute AWD Grand Touring, when it came time for me to select a new car, I traded my Mercedes roadster in on a CX5 AWD Grand Touring after considering a Hyundai Santa Fe and the Kia Sportage. I was specific at the dealer, wanting a white one, Tech Package, all weather floor mats, roof rack, cargo cover, rear bumper guard, etc. They didnít have one but found one in another state and sent a driver to get it for me after I gave them $100 deposit. The next day all the paperwork was completed and they filled it with gas, prepped the vehicle and I took delivery. Iím absolutely impressed with the Bluetooth and how it just sucked in my entire phone addresses and how I can make or receive calls while driving. The Tom Tom Nav system is inferior to my portable Magellan and is the only disappointment. Iím impressed in the seat comfort, three level heated seats, dual climate control, high intensity headlights and responsiveness of the vehicle. Itís beautiful to look at and very stylish with the 19Ē wheels and black outlining of the wheel openings, dual exhaust with chrome tips as well as the blind spot monitoring system. The availability of having the optional manual shifter is a great extra feature as is the folding 40/20/40 rear seats that are easy to operate. I believe the daytime running lights are a great safety feature as well. All in all, I paid a little too much but am completely satisfied.

Dashboard instrumentation, appearance and handling.

Tom Tom not as good as Magellan or Garmen.

Just bought - Love it!!
By sweetride4

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Bought for family of four. Shopped a lot! Once we decided we were okay with less seating capacity and overall size v. the Ford Explorer, Traverse, etc., the search continued for similar SUV feel on smaller scale, including lower price. Looked at Edge, really liked drive, but had to go with used and not so great gas mileage. So, on to the Equinox and Escape.. the Chevy just felt cramped.. even though good looking it just wasn't doing it for me on interior. The advertised prices led us to CX-5 v Escape.. The CX5 just felt right on interior roomy space, comfort and ease/simplicity of dash.Yet had enuf cool features to feel modern and plush. Awesome gas mileage too!! That alone should sell!

Cavernous, easy to access rear hatch. Seat comfort.. we have cloth seats, which are nice. Rear camera and lane switch blind spot alert are really nice. Bluetooth - love. Drives smooth for a little guy! Yes, if you overfocus on the engine's get up and go, you can make yourself crazy..just get over it. Once you are at a set speed.. 40- 60 and cruising along it is really an excellent ride! Don't feel small on road. Gas mileage differential between it and Escape will save you money. 26 mpg around town is amazing for this cute little SUV that can!! Roomy comfort.

More horsepower could improve, but may hurt mileage..

Feels more expensive than it is, still... a few bugs
By leda1

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Fully loaded CX5 GT AWD is fun to drive and feels higher lux than you'd expect. 19" wheels give a stiffer ride than I hoped - Mazda should offer 18"s I think as an option. Since April 2012, 28 MPG city. Need to carefully modulate gas pedal to optimize performance without slipping into passing gear, but even so, good accelleration. Overall, nice. Problems: A/C fuse blown at purchase - blew warm air at idle- Fixed. Noticed a gear slip, momentary RPM redline, and "clunk" when engaging passing gear at highway speeds - Not Fixed yet. Ordered rear sensing system - beeps constantly in Reverse - Not Fixed yet. Could use better TomTom nav controls (zoom lock) and a constant compass readout somewhere.

Style/appearance inside and out, comfortable, fuel economy, Bose stereo.

Reclining/sliding rear seats, rear AC vent, all power window controls have LED's instead of just drivers window for nighttime visibility, 18" wheel with highway tires option for smoother ride, paint protection, front license plate frame, ambient lighting, a little more power and less tendency to shift into passing gear at full accelleration.

Fun but gutless
By shierwarter

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have had my CX-5 since June, and have had fun driving this car with the 6-speed manual transmission. While it is gutless going uphill, mostly I don't notice the lack of power. I tend to get around 31mpg overall, and I'm pretty happy with that. Two things... I wish that the great blue color was available on the 6-speed (my choices were black, silver and grey) and I wish that there was better accessibility in the back seat. My mom rides back there sometimes, and it's hard for her to get in and out.

the 6-speed transmission, the stylish exterior, and the START button.

better color choices for the 6-speed vehicles, and that nifty auto opening gate that Ford just introduced would be killer!

Gas Mileage not as high as advertised
By schuylkillsa

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My highway gas mileage is supposed to be close to 35 MPG. I have over 5000 miles on the car and have taken several long road trips and I've yet to hit 31 MPG. Are others finding the same thing?

I love the manual transmission! Why won't Mazda offer the Manual in other models such as the Sport AWD or the Touring? I was dissapointed that b/c I wanted the manual shift, I was not able to buy any other features such as bluetooth or back mirror. Why punish manual drivers?

I think the back window is very small and make visibility difficult. I think the side mirrors need magnifiers to help reduce the blind spot.